Idea's for a backup weapon?

This is a discussion on Idea's for a backup weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by crvnation Plastic piece of poo Glock wannabee junk gun developed by Kel-Tec rejects. Get a Kahr PM9. LOL you must be an ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Idea's for a backup weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
    Plastic piece of poo Glock wannabee junk gun developed by Kel-Tec rejects. Get a Kahr PM9.

LOL you must be an internet ninja reading everything and believing it. From my understanding Diamondback is NOT made up of former Keltec employees, but a branch off the same manufacure of Diamondback airboats. From that I am also guessing you have never owned, shot, or tried and Diamondback DB9. Granted they are not for everyone especially people that are recoil sensitive. God Bless
    Drgnfly likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Re: Idea's for a backup weapon?

J-frames are hard to beat

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Diamondback DB9. As small and light as a 380 pocket gun but packs a 9mm cartridge. God Bless
    I have a DB9 with about 600 rounds shot. I've not had any issues. The DB9 is small, light, and very very easy to conceal.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Back when I had the Shield, it WAS my back up gun LOL

Like other said, another Shield or a J-frame.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

My wife is the back up.......or I am her back up depends who draws first
    blitzburgh, ODCaloney and Curzyk like this.

Great posts. I picked the shield over the 9c for concealability. Im not one of those people that think that i need to carry around 6o rounds of ammunition. A accurate well placed first shot and follow up are just as effective as 10 random shots.

I never thought about carrying another shield, and its a good idea i guess. Like someone else said though, i kind of want a different toy. The db9 is a bit to small for my hands. Im kind of leaning toward a j frame, maybe .357.

On a side note, and its completely irrational, but how cool would it be to carry a judge for backup with a mixture of 410 and 45lc loaded?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    When an SP101 is my primary, its backup is another SP101. How about applying this principal, and getting a second Shield? I used to sometimes carry a pair of HK P7 pistols, back in the 1980s. More recently, I sometimes carried a pair of SIG P229 pistols, though those would both be worn on the belt. Why two of a kind? Well, besides the common spare magazines or other reloads, there is commonality of training, which means the mind need not shift gears to manipulate a different weapon.
    9mmHP and darbo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
    A accurate well placed first shot and follow up are just as effective as 10 random shots.
    Assuming you train constantly so that when the stress and adrenaline are fighting to overpower your rational mind (and your attacker is trying to put a hole in that same mind) you can actually place those shots. Even then it may not be enough. We must remember that in all likelyhood, our accuracy in a defensive situation will be a fraction of what it is during training. Sure, a handful of rounds may well be enough. But then again, it may not. Some people like to stack the odds in their favor and carry as many rounds as possible.

leaning toward a j frame, maybe .357
    Solid platform. Be sure to carry extra speedloaders and/or speed strips.

how cool would it be to carry a judge for backup with a mixture of 410 and 45lc loaded?
    Practical > cool. If you can see the Judge as a practical backup weapon and deploy it as such, more power to you, but I wouldn't pick a defensive firearm based on "cool factor".
    miller_man likes this.

Im not one of those people that think that i need to carry around 6o rounds of ammunition.
    ever been confronted with a group that looks like this? There is a reason I carry two 9mm's, and here are five very good reasons.

lowercase and Dennis1209 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Regarding the carry of 60 rounds of ammo, I do not normally feel that need, but I do believe in multiple handguns. For starters, I am effectively ambidextrous, anyway, so one positioned for optimal access for each hand seems a good idea. Then, there is the likelihood of one hand/arm being hit during a gunfight, which would likely cause the weapon in that hand to be dropped. Not only is the FBI incident in Dade County, back in 1986 or so, an illustration of folks being hit in the hands and arms, I personally know two colleagues shot in the arms during gunfights.

Then, there are multiple assailants. Two armed assailants are relatively common in my area, and I took a report a few years ago involving five assailants participating in a street robbery, with at least two being armed, as a shotgun was discharged once, and several 9mm cases were recovered; this being near my home, in a "nice" area, where I often walked our dogs.

No, it is not the sum total of available ammo that is important, in my opinion, so much as the options that multiple weapons give me. Two revolvers is a common carry ensemble for me; sometimes even three, if all are SP101 snubbies. The late, great Jim Cirillo carried three revolvers when he was an active LEO. IIRC, he carried two 4" K-frames, plus a snubby. He trained to be ambidextrous with his revolvers. (I am not preaching revolvers; I love my Les Baer TRS, too, and regularly carry it. For special occasions, I have a Seecamp LWS-32.)
    mr.stuart likes this.

another m&p 40 wouldnt be a bad idea as a back up. I prefer carrying the g19 and if I had to carry a backup it would be the g26 since the magazines of a g19 would fit in the 26 in the event of a failure and in need of extra rounds...just food for thought...if anything I think carrying a back up in the same caliber is a good idea

Alex, I was in the military for 6 years so I have been trained for a combat senario and have been through it. I understand what you mean with the adrenaline fighting you for control of your muscles. I think that if i cant get the job done with 20 rounds (8 + 7 in spare mag, and say 5 from backup j frame) then im probably not supposed to still be shooting. I dont know about that laws in other states, but here in Michigan i have the responsibility to flea if able to do so safely. If ive had time to shoot 20 round or more, then i probably had the chance to get away. And the mentioning of the judge was just for entertainments sake. I understand that the judge is an unrealistic backup or maybe even EDC gun.

Zonker, I live just outside of Flint, MI city limits. So i have seen a group like that, and i think that i have just as good a reason as anyone to worry about things like that. Flint is the murder capital of the world right? (lol maybe not, but they have more homicides in flint that anywhere else in the country).

I may entertain the idea of getting a second Shield. The only problem is they are pretty much impossible to find. I got super lucky to find the one that i own now.

Alex, I was in the military for 6 years so I have been trained for a combat senario and have been through it.
    Thank you for your service!

here in Michigan i have the responsibility to flea if able to do so safely.
    Incorrect. I also live in Michigan and the current law is as follows (emphasis mine):

A: MCL 780.972 states: “Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.

Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.”

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Ankle carry can be somewhat difficult here in Florida...especially in summer when most people seem to wear shorts.
    darbo likes this.

Re: Idea's for a backup weapon?

I would used the Shield as a BUG to the M&P 40 compact.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links