Idea's for a backup weapon? - Page 3

Idea's for a backup weapon?

This is a discussion on Idea's for a backup weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for a backup weapon it needs to be small and lite. the backup gun is used for when things have gone realy bad. you will ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Idea's for a backup weapon?

for a backup weapon it needs to be small and lite. the backup gun is used for when things have gone realy bad. you will shoot the gun dry and run. for the normal non law enforcement person i don't see why they would need to carry one. one should not put themself into a problem/area that would required one to need one. many mango seasons ago (1970's) the backup weapon that we carried on the job was a s&w model 36/60. small but not lite. we used ankle carry and/or rubber bands around the butt and shove it into our pants. i still carry it with the rubber bands and a clipdraw clip, that is when i carry the heavy old girl. sometime i would carry the beretta jetfire, small and lite, but not appoved on the carry list because of the size of the round. then in 2000 i found the kel tec p3at. fits the bill, small, lite, good power. it is in my pocket everyday. remember a good backup gun needs to be small and lite. a big heavy second gun is no fun to carry all day on the ankle/pocket.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    for the normal non law enforcement person i don't see why they would need to carry one. one should not put themself into a problem/area that would required one to need one.
    Why carry any gun if we can forsee future events and avoid becoming the targets of criminals?

Unfortunately my psychic powers are rather limited, so I cannot scry the threads of fate in order to perceive when I may or may not need my firearm, so I carry at all times. If that extends to carrying a BUG, I carry that too.

One generally doesn't put oneself in situations where any firearm needs to be used in anger, these sitations force themselves upon us.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
    I dont know about that laws in other states, but here in Michigan i have the responsibility to flea if able to do so safely.
    When you flee Michigan, don't bring Michigan's fleas with you.

Aside from Michigans fleas, you should strongly consider carrying a J frame BUG.
    zacii, Toorop and Curzyk like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Easiest answer, as the exact gun depends on so many variables:

The best back up firearm is the largest caliber weapon that is comfortable for you to safely fire with reasonable accuracy, adequately conceal and financially afford.

What is best for me or the other guy quite possibly is NOT what's best for you, based on these criteria.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I like to ankle carry a Smith and Wesson 638 airweight in a Fobus ankle carry holster. You will not know its there. ( unless you wear a dress )

If you do not want another firearm look into a knife.
    +1 on the ankle holster but 11 ounces of .357, if you can handle it, in a 360PD
    scgunlover1 likes this.

As Mrbuckwheat (and others) have stated.....I would (and do) go with a nice light Smith J frame on your ankle.

neverenough
    Attached Images
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    for a backup weapon it needs to be small and lite. the backup gun is used for when things have gone realy bad. you will shoot the gun dry and run. for the normal non law enforcement person i don't see why they would need to carry one. one should not put themself into a problem/area that would required one to need one. many mango seasons ago (1970's) the backup weapon that we carried on the job was a s&w model 36/60. small but not lite. we used ankle carry and/or rubber bands around the butt and shove it into our pants. i still carry it with the rubber bands and a clipdraw clip, that is when i carry the heavy old girl. sometime i would carry the beretta jetfire, small and lite, but not appoved on the carry list because of the size of the round. then in 2000 i found the kel tec p3at. fits the bill, small, lite, good power. it is in my pocket everyday. remember a good backup gun needs to be small and lite. a big heavy second gun is no fun to carry all day on the ankle/pocket.
    Oh I guess you believe you're a better shot than any of the rest of us? I'm not a marksman by any means, but I do have plans to pick up a smaller gun to carry. I'm leaning heavily towards the LCP, LC9, and the LCR-357 (primarily because it's a cool little revolver, and would make a great ankle gun).
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

I am a believer in the OWB snubbie as a primary weapon and a double stack semi in a Maxpedition bag as a secondary, second mag in weak side pocket.

I really hate the thought of having to use a backup even though I carry one ( Sig232 ) my primary is a XD45 with 2 extra mags so I have 40rds and if I need that much I have really taken a wrong turn. I have never had my XDs not work and 95% of the time I'm with my wife and she is very good with every weapon we have but I will never give up my bug.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    ever been confronted with a group that looks like this? There is a reason I carry two 9mm's, and here are five very good reasons.

Looks like some of those guys we deal with here in the Charlotte area. Gangbangers and drug runners...NC is getting overrun with these types and the prisons are filling up. Always shoot centermass if possible..40SW or 357 sig will do. Shoot until the threat stops.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Ruger LCR .38 Spl ~ 16 oz loaded

Ruger LCP .380 ~ 12 oz loaded
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    ever been confronted with a group that looks like this? There is a reason I carry two 9mm's, and here are five very good reasons.

Looks like just 5 shots to me.
    pgrass101 and scgunlover1 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Alex,
    All you did was prove my point. That basically says that if you can not get away, that you have the right to use deadly force. If you have the option to get away and can do so safely, you are required to do so. If you feel like your life is in danger, you do not have the option to get away safely. If you shoot someone and after the investigation they can prove you could have gotten away instead of shooting someone, you are going to prison.

I had considered an LCP, I have owned an LC9 and didn't care for it much so that's holding me back from getting another ruger in a similar size and build.

I carry a xDM 3.8 .45 as a primary and Body Guard .380 on the ankle but as many have posted prior to each his own.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links