Idea's for a backup weapon? - Page 4

Idea's for a backup weapon?

This is a discussion on Idea's for a backup weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Looks like just 5 shots to me. yep. Kahr CM40 40S&W...and an extra round just in case. I don't believe in ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Idea's for a backup weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Looks like just 5 shots to me.
    yep.

Kahr CM40 40S&W...and an extra round just in case.

I don't believe in carrying a tiny backup gun that will be used as a last ditch effort to stop a threat trying to kill me.
    Just makes no sense to carry a tiny gun like a .380 LCP or 3AT as a BUG if you stop and really think what its intended use really is.
    If you have to use your backup, you are already in Deep Stuff, and you want 'em DRT.....carry a service caliber at least as powerful
    as your primary weapon. A good J frame will do the trick just fine.

here's a good primary/BUG combo I've been carrying lately: Glock 27 11+1, and Kahr CM40 5+1. Two very small pistols with a good bit of power.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

i carry a beretta nano as a back up in case my G19 fails, but we all know glocks don't fail :) So maybe in case i lost the G19 :D

How bout a khar cm-40 small enough for ankle or pocket carry. And at least uses the same cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    How bout a khar cm-40 small enough for ankle or pocket carry. And at least uses the same cartridge.

Agree....makes sense to use same size cartridge in the heat of the battle.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I like to ankle carry a Smith and Wesson 638 airweight in a Fobus ankle carry holster. You will not know its there. ( unless you wear a dress )

If you do not want another firearm look into a knife.
    A lot of good ideas here. My BUG is a S&W 642, "don't leave home without it".
    MrBuckwheat may have the answer. Visual deterrent! Hairy legged guy in a dress with an ankle holster! BGs shouldn't bother that.
    darbo likes this.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    LOL you must be an internet ninja reading everything and believing it. From my understanding Diamondback is NOT made up of former Keltec employees, but a branch off the same manufacure of Diamondback airboats. From that I am also guessing you have never owned, shot, or tried and Diamondback DB9. Granted they are not for everyone especially people that are recoil sensitive. God Bless
    I don't have any experience with DB guns but this has always been my understanding that they are the same folks of Diamondback airboats.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    If you have to use your backup, you are already in Deep Stuff, and you want 'em DRT.....carry a service caliber at least as powerful
    as your primary weapon. A good J frame will do the trick just fine.
    If you want 'em DRT, then you'd best be carrying an RPG - because handguns are just not very effective stoppers. I think you are grossly over-estimating the "power" of a handgun.

I'll agree with you that a .38 revolver makes a good secondary sidearm, but I wouldn't dismiss a .380 or even a .32 either. It's ultimately going to come down to...where you put the bullet.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

A 2-1/4" SP101 .357 with a 5 round speed strip and a new pair of Air Jordans as a back up
    1 old 0311 likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would look at a snubbie. Personally I would look for a larger firearm. Assuming that you will hit them and that 20 shots is enough is fine, but why not increase the odds in your favor? I usually carry a Glock 19 with 2 spare Glock 17 magazines for a total of 50 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you want 'em DRT, then you'd best be carrying an RPG - because handguns are just not very effective stoppers. I think you are grossly over-estimating the "power" of a handgun.

I'll agree with you that a .38 revolver makes a good secondary sidearm, but I wouldn't dismiss a .380 or even a .32 either. It's ultimately going to come down to...where you put the bullet.
    so you think a .40 SW is underpowered, yet think that carrying a .380 or .32 is ok as long as you can thread the needle with a bullet in a SHTF scenario? If handguns are underpowered, which I totally agree, then the .380 and .32 make little sense for defensive carry..........accoridng to your logic. As we all know, shot placement trumps caliber....and shot placement with a service caliber weapon trumps the mouse gun caliber most of the time.....and a .32 in your hand is better than a .40 at home in the safe, and I wouldn't want to be shot with one.......and the beat goes on.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Looks like some of those guys we deal with here in the Charlotte area. Gangbangers and drug runners...NC is getting overrun with these types and the prisons are filling up. Always shoot centermass if possible..40SW or 357 sig will do. Shoot until the threat stops.
    thats too true
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    so you think a .40 SW is underpowered, yet think that carrying a .380 or .32 is ok as long as you can thread the needle with a bullet in a SHTF scenario? If handguns are underpowered, which I totally agree, then the .380 and .32 make little sense for defensive carry..........accoridng to your logic. As we all know, shot placement trumps caliber....and shot placement with a service caliber weapon trumps the mouse gun caliber most of the time.....and a .32 in your hand is better than a .40 at home in the safe, and I wouldn't want to be shot with one.......and the beat goes on.
    An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Once you get to .380/.38 Spl or above, it would seem there isn't as much difference as some would like to think.

I think all common handguns are underpowered, and that the idea of "DRT" with a handgun is only realistic if you hit the CNS...in which case the caliber won't matter much.

Before we degenerate further into a useless caliber debate...
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Some of my thoughts on a BUG.

The only time I use one is when serving a fugitive warrant, and then, it will be carried where I have weak hand access.

For day to day living, I don't see point. There are more valuable items I need on my person, like a cell phone and OC spray.

Tactics are much more important than fire power. Like for instance, the common sense to flee when the shooting starts. I have never been in a building where there was not another way out.

If all I have is 5 shots, and am taking fire, I will not shoot back just for the sake of returning fire. Good cover is what I will find, and use while I am considering my options. And there will be options, but a cool head, and willingness to exploit your opponent by letting them give me a high percentage shot.

So, for me to carry a BUG, I must be knowingly going into a high threat environment, not just going about my day to day business.

But if you absolutely think you need one, then a good snub nose revolver that can be comfortably carried in the off side pocket, accessed and fired without any othe manipulation is the smart play.
    blitzburgh, aus71383 and Toorop like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

gman - I agree that the primary purpose for a BUG is weak hand access. That said, I do carry one routinely. For one, during the work week I must be discreet, so I compensate for a low-capacity primary by carrying a BUG. Secondly, with small children to carry around, I often find my dominant hand tied up. Having a BUG on the off side makes sense for persons who have this issue.

If you can swing it, I think a BUG is a good thing to have.
    CT Lasers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links