Sig P220 - Page 2

Sig P220

This is a discussion on Sig P220 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the replies again. Once the wife and kid get to bed I will reconvene with the gun and see if I can get ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P220

Re: Sig P220

Thanks for the replies again. Once the wife and kid get to bed I will reconvene with the gun and see if I can get anything else figured out based on information you all have provided.

sent via iCarry

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    Starting to sound like a trip to the factory is in order. Sucks to have to spend the money to ship it around and back to an FFL, but it is better than dealing with its current quirks I suppose. I might seek out a local smith to see if he can track down the issue.

Thanks again for the replies.

sent via iCarry
    You absolutely do NOT need to go through an FFL to send your gun to the factory! And they'll send it right back to you, but pickup has to be face-to-face.

BTW, one more voice in the chorus - my 220 doesn't act differently with or without the mag in it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    my 220 doesn't act differently with or without the mag in it.
    Mine did, before I shimmed it. Maybe it's something to do with it being an older German made one?

I am intrigued by the suggestion of a spring kit, and might even try that in mine, but at least in my case the simple washer shim job made it cease to be an issue.

Ok, I didn't get to look at the gun last night, but just now i've been messing around with it. With the left grip panel on, and the right grip panel off it appears as if the trigger bar is rubbing against the magazine as the trigger is pulled. When pulling double action, the trigger bar has to contact the magazine, then push "around" the lip that it is hitting on the magazine before the trigger will break. This also explains why the trigger feels fine in single action pull as in single action mode, the trigger bar is already past the hang point on the back of the magazine.

The gun also has the old style trigger bar spring in it. So, the plan at this point is probably going to be replace the trigger bar and put a new spring kit in the gun and see how that works. I have a feeling that will solve the problem.

Sound logical?

yet another correction...the trigger bar apparently isn't the issue. However, the trigger bar spring is what is hanging on the back of the magazine during trigger pull (DA). The spring sticks through the trigger bar a good amount, and right at the point where the trigger is getting hard to pull is where the spring contacts the back corner of the magazine. Maybe this gun had an out of spec trigger bar spring. I will order the kit referenced above and see if that fixes the problem. I'm tempted in the meantime to take a dremel to the portion of the spring that protrudes through the trigger bar and see if that provides a short term solution.

I would buy the kit, but not dremel the current spring, provided that you have another gun you can carry.

That way you can compare the new spring to the problem one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have plenty of other carry options. To be honest the old glock 19 gets carried about 80% of the time.

This deal with the sig is more a matter of annoying me than necessity. I will try to refrain from the dremel tool, but there's no guarantee that I won't cave in.

sent via iCarry

Dremel a spring and it won't be a spring anymore.

I just ordered the spring kit from top gun. Hopefully by the middle of the week I'll know whether or not this fixes the issue. Thanks for the input everyone.

Ok. Final update on the sig p220 trigger spring issue. The gun had the incorrect trigger bar spring. I first started to install the new one and quickly saw that the old one was definitely not the correct spring. The wild part is that the old spring wasn't hooking to the trigger bar at the right spot. I believe I have everything correct now as the new spring fits into a notch / cradle on the underside of the trigger bar, and has no way of contacting the magazine and causing the hang in the trigger pull that I previously had.

I'm going to keep searching for pics of a p220 with the grips off to try to confirm that everything is now correct. But judging on fit, feel, and function I think all is well now.

Thanks to you all for the help tracking down the issue.

sent via iCarry

Congrats on the fix.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife's P238 was the same...different trigger pull mag or no mag. We took it back to the gunsmith at the shop where we bought the gun and he returned it to the factory for repair. Smithy said that shouldn't be happening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links