Sig P220

This is a discussion on Sig P220 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I've had my P220 it has had a very smooth double action trigger pull without a mag in the gun. No abrupt stacking or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P220

Sig P220

Since I've had my P220 it has had a very smooth double action trigger pull without a mag in the gun. No abrupt stacking or ledges to pull through. However with a mag in the gun there is a pretty hard wall in the trigger pull just before the trigger breaks and releases the hammer.

I bought this gun used and really just assumed it was supposed to be this way, but the more I mess around with the gun, the more puzzled I am about why the DA pull is so different with mag in vs mag out. Single action pull is great either way.

Can anyone else with a p220 comment on this?

I did talk to sig and they were nice enough about being willing to fix it if they find anything wrong with it, but if this is just how "it is" then I don't really want to spend the time and money shipping the gun around.

Thanks for any input.

sent via iCarry

2. Remove Ads

It shouldnt be like that. My 220 fires just the same dry as with a mag. This may sound stupid, but do you have the Hogue grips on it by any chance? I carry a 220 on duty, as do hundreds of my buddies. Some guys put the Hogue grips on, and plenty of them had issues. For whatever reason, those grips do not go well with the gun. The main problems are magazine issues, but it's still something to look at. If they are too tight or too loose they can cause problems. They can also interfere with the decocker. I dont use them.

If you dont have Hogue grips, ignore my post Because after that, I have no ideas.

I own 2 P220's and have never experienced the issue you are seeing. One suggestion.....if you are using aftermarket grips on your pistol, replace them with standard Sig polymer grips and see if the problem goes away. I'm not sure how grip panels can interfer with the trigger spring which is positioned in the backstrap of your pistol. They could interfere with the trigger return spring which is under the right grip panel.

Re: Sig P220

Thanks for the replies. I am using the stock grips. I like the way they feel do I've never looked into swapping them.

sent via iCarry

Same here... never had that issue with my P220.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Starting to sound like a trip to the factory is in order. Sucks to have to spend the money to ship it around and back to an FFL, but it is better than dealing with its current quirks I suppose. I might seek out a local smith to see if he can track down the issue.

Thanks again for the replies.

sent via iCarry

Did they get rid of the P220 Sub-Compact ? and if so........why ?

at one time it was legal for the owner of a handgun to ship it directly to the factory, and vice versa, WITHOUT needing to go through an FFL holder. i believe some gun makers will provide shipping labels for this very purpose. i believe this CANNOT be done through the US Postal Service, but must go through a private carrier like UPS or FED EX. ask Sig if this is still legal. this would save you the FFL fees, at any rate.

OP, are you sure you've got to ship it through an FFL?

Reason I ask is this: I was looking at having some work done on a pistol... having it refinished and the feed ramp polished to have it run hollow points. The place I was looking at said they would send me a shipping label and I send my pistol to them. They would send it back to me when it was done.

The pistol won't be transferring ownership because it's going from you to the manufacturer and back.

My only experience sending a pistol to the manufacturer was taking a Taurus PT1911 back to the shop I bought it twice and them sending it back to Taurus for me at no charge.

I will have to look into the shipping some more. I was thinking I could personally send it directly to sig, but was thinking it would have to come back through a FFL. Its highly possible that I misunderstood though.

I've needed to send my walther p22 in to smith and wesson for a good while but have put it off for the sake of avoiding shipping hassles. I guess its time to figure that deal out since I have two pistols that need help now.

sent via iCarry

I had this problem with mine due to the hogue grips pinching on the side of the trigger transfer bar, or whatever it's called. I ended up shimming the grip away from the frame using a couple tiny washers on the upper grip screw between the grip and frame.

My suggestion is to pull the grips off, and test the trigger function then. If it does relate to a grip issue, you can probably take care of the problem yourself if you're at all handy with tools.
    kmagnuss likes this.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Did they get rid of the P220 Sub-Compact ? and if so........why ?
    They have the full size, a carry size that has same grip but shorter barrel and they have a compact that has the shorter barrel and a shorter grip and only 6 rds.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    If it ONLY happens with the magazine IN the gun it has to be a clearance problem.

Do you know someone who can strip down your pistol and check for burrs,bends, or worn edges?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Like above I'd start by taking the grips off and trying again... if it still does it you should look around while you have the grips off and try to find a part that the magazine would touch while inserted, changing the trigger function. I would definitely try this before shipping it all over.

I buy a parts kit for from Top Gun Supply for every used Sig I have had, and swapped out all the springs: SIG P220 .45 PARTS KIT - Top Gun Supply

For $20 its worth it. Someone could have messed with the trigger bar spring, which is easy to replace, and where I would wager your hang up is.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links