Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9 - Page 2

Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9

This is a discussion on Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; macg19 Telling someone not to use +P loads is very foolish as the handgun is rated for +P and handles it well. It should be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    macg19 Telling someone not to use +P loads is very foolish as the handgun is rated for +P and handles it well. It should be owners call as to use or not. My CC load is a 124gr gd +p load for the last 4 years that moves along at 1142fps out of that short barrel. I can't feel any perceivable difference in recoil between it and a standard velocity practice load. Bad advise.

drewski1325 Glad yours is running well now. The other problem owners can run in to with most any small pistol is shooting a low powered lite bullet loads too. Like some 115gr loads. The cartidge may not have enough energy to cycle the slide at first. Get a 100 rounds thru it and then it more than likely will cycle the lite weight loads too.

I would not own a kahr if it was not for a pissed off X-owner that couldn't get his cw9 to function. He wanted to sell the junk and I bought it so cheap i had to have it. Figured it could allways send it back for CS. Cleaned it up and ran it wet, it ran like a champ. Bought cm9 then for the pocket. Never did any racking of the slide more than need to clean and lube , just used a good mid weight load for break in.

I also use Speer Gold Dot +P (Short Barrel) ammunition in my Kahr PM9. The recoil is a little more than standard 9mm, but it's more than manageable.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

What did you pay for the gun. I am on 2 different waiting list for this same gun. One shop is $389.00 and the other shop is $425.00 with a hour of range time and a lifetime warranty on the gun through their shop. I am leaning toward the 2nd place because of the warranty Kahrs is only 5 years I believe. Thanks!

Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9

Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    What did you pay for the gun. I am on 2 different waiting list for this same gun. One shop is $389.00 and the other shop is $425.00 with a hour of range time and a lifetime warranty on the gun through their shop. I am leaning toward the 2nd place because of the warranty Kahrs is only 5 years I believe. Thanks!
    $390 cash / $400 credit shipped. just find a cheap FFL for a transfer.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ly_grip_and_fr

my hands are a little too big for the grip.

might wanna check out a "handall jr." Made a huge differance for mine

Handall Jr. Small Size Grip Sleeve [18000] - $8.95 : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised the first time I pulled the trigger on mine. Very smooth and predictable break. IMO recoil is on par, if not less than my XD9sc. I also broke mine in using Tul Ammo specifically to see if I could get on malfunctions. So far so good. Still waiting on my holster, but once it arrives it will go right into rotation.

I was looking for night sights till I discovered getting them could be a bit difficult. So I got some Glow On painted the stock sights. I am satisfied with the results.

Kahr will install night sights on a CM-9, but it's not cheap ($150 or so). Mas Ayoob STRONGLY recommends going through Kahr for night sights on their guns. the implication i got from his comment was that doing it yourself was a real pain.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    Kahr will install night sights on a CM-9, but it's not cheap ($150 or so). Mas Ayoob STRONGLY recommends going through Kahr for night sights on their guns. the implication i got from his comment was that doing it yourself was a real pain.
    Kahr was also out of all the sights for the CM9 with no expected date of new stock coming in. I will eventually get some for it, but right now the glow on is working like a champ.

Glad like yours, and I hope it continues to work well for you.

I owned a CM9 and it was the worst piece of junk I've ever owned. I was rarely ever able to shoot an entire magazine without a jam. I sent it back to Kahr and they reworked it. I took it to the range, and it jammed on the second mag.

I commented about it to someone else at the range, and before long everyone there was trying it out with their ammo. So, I had a bunch of shooters with a wide selection of ammo, and it it jammed for all of them.

I traded it on a KelTec PF-9 and I've been very happy with the KT. After 600 rounds it has gone bang with every pull of the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    Put a thousand rounds through to break it in, and at least 100 of your SD ammo. For me Federal 147gr HST worked well. You can rack a round in without using the slide release method but you have to be very aggressive. Stay away from +P - it does not handle the round nearly as well as the Shield.

I added a Talon rubberized grip and Trijicon night sights which I got from Kahr. Very pleased with both.

I've run +P through mine with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Makes you wonder some times way some owners just can't help but have some kind of problems. They just seem to work like designed. Good small light cc gun.
    I had numerous problems with mine when it was new. Kahr sent me a new recoil spring. And I had to bend the tiny slide-stop spring into the correct shape before it would work. Then I had to put 400 rounds through it before it finally became reliable. Now I trust it. And it's great for CCW. I use a kydex AIWB PJHolster.

Drop a CT LG 437 on it and watch the 10x on the paper go away at 21'. Put a Pearson grip on it wraps the pinky, and it is a great fit in a Talon IWB.

Great gun, my CCW with my 23 for home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by xXMens ReaXx View Post
    I was very hesitant about buying a CM9 given that the reviews seem to be really good or really bad.

At the gun shop I racked the slide several times and was shocked how tight it was. I mean it was really tight. So tight that I was afraid to buy the gun. Anyway I went for it, came home, got on Kahrtalk, and cleaned and lubed the gun as recommended. Slide racked a lot easier after that so I was feeling better about it.

Went to the gun range and shot 200 rounds through it this afternoon. First impressions, gun is a little snappy and my hands are a little too big for the grip. My first 50-70 rounds I was all over the paper and there was no consistency. Modified my grip, got use to the sights, and finally was able to make consistent shots on target. Still room to improve but I think it was me and not the gun. I think I am going to put some trijicons on it. I prefer the 3 dot v. the heine sights.

All and all though I am very very happy with the purchase. Not a single FTE, FTF, or stovepipe in the first 200 rounds. So stoked it. I am glad I took the leap of faith and got it.

I will be pocket carrying it in a desantis nemesis and alternate between this good and my Glock 26 for edc. As of right now I can definetly recommend this gun to others.

Re: Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9

My CM9 has been 100 percent reliable. Accurate with a great trigger. Only addition so far has been a rubberized Talon Grip.

Quote Originally Posted by xXMens ReaXx View Post
    Good to know. I had Speer +P in there until I read this post. I actually have some HST so I did the swap.

No pics at the moment :( sorry
    The Speer +p rounds are fine in the Kahr's...

I picked up my cm9 on Friday, cleaned it and ran 150 thru it yesterday with zero issues. It's my 5th Kahr. All have run perfectly for me. (come to think of it, I've had +25 handguns and only ONE didn't run right....a Para NightHawg .45. What am I doing right?). I got my cm9 at B&D Mercantile in Senoia, GA. I originally bought a D'back DB9, but it blew up on the 2nd shot. The store owner gave me this new CM and told me to bring the DB to him when I get it back from the D'back company. Now THAT'S customer service. The owner is Tom and their nbr is (770) 727-9075.
    Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack, just wanted to relate how I became a Kahr owner again. It will be my carry piece when I have to dress up and tuck in the shirt, otherwise the Rami gets toted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links