Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9

This is a discussion on Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was very hesitant about buying a CM9 given that the reviews seem to be really good or really bad. At the gun shop I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Leap of faith, bought a Kahr CM9

I was very hesitant about buying a CM9 given that the reviews seem to be really good or really bad.

At the gun shop I racked the slide several times and was shocked how tight it was. I mean it was really tight. So tight that I was afraid to buy the gun. Anyway I went for it, came home, got on Kahrtalk, and cleaned and lubed the gun as recommended. Slide racked a lot easier after that so I was feeling better about it.

Went to the gun range and shot 200 rounds through it this afternoon. First impressions, gun is a little snappy and my hands are a little too big for the grip. My first 50-70 rounds I was all over the paper and there was no consistency. Modified my grip, got use to the sights, and finally was able to make consistent shots on target. Still room to improve but I think it was me and not the gun. I think I am going to put some trijicons on it. I prefer the 3 dot v. the heine sights.

All and all though I am very very happy with the purchase. Not a single FTE, FTF, or stovepipe in the first 200 rounds. So stoked it. I am glad I took the leap of faith and got it.

I will be pocket carrying it in a desantis nemesis and alternate between this good and my Glock 26 for edc. As of right now I can definetly recommend this gun to others.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

IMO, you'll soon grow to love the accuracy. I've had (or shot) several of the PM9's and accuracy has (at least for me) rivaled that of many full-sized guns.

Glad you found a good one. Enjoy!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

pics?

Congratulations on your new gun. The CM9 is on my short list of pistols.

Checking on the Kahrtalk forum myself it sounds like there were some issues but Kahr seems to have addressed them and are producing first class pistols now.

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I pulled the trigger on mine. Very smooth and predictable break. IMO recoil is on par, if not less than my XD9sc. I also broke mine in using Tul Ammo specifically to see if I could get on malfunctions. So far so good. Still waiting on my holster, but once it arrives it will go right into rotation.

I was looking for night sights till I discovered getting them could be a bit difficult. So I got some Glow On painted the stock sights. I am satisfied with the results.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Makes you wonder some times way some owners just can't help but have some kind of problems. They just seem to work like designed. Good small light cc gun.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The economy line of Kahrs, the "C" pistols take only a couple aftermarket sights. Check before you buy, that they will fit the front sight position. I'm not sure which sights are available, just that they're limited due to the lack of a front dovetail cut.

I've purchased a total of eight Kahrs so I guess I'm a fanboy. The are light, small and easy to conceal. They do have a learning curve though, as they are a little bit different than many other pistols. Sounds like you're off to a great start with yours.

I've liked the feel and added grip security offered by the various grip sleeves on the market for my polymer framed Kahrs. May be worth a look. I've used both Pachmyer and Hogue.

Put a thousand rounds through to break it in, and at least 100 of your SD ammo. For me Federal 147gr HST worked well. You can rack a round in without using the slide release method but you have to be very aggressive. Stay away from +P - it does not handle the round nearly as well as the Shield.

I added a Talon rubberized grip and Trijicon night sights which I got from Kahr. Very pleased with both.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

I took the "leap" too last summer and no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    Put a thousand rounds through to break it in, and at least 100 of your SD ammo. For me Federal 147gr HST worked well. You can rack a round in without using the slide release method but you have to be very aggressive. Stay away from +P - it does not handle the round nearly as well as the Shield.

I added a Talon rubberized grip and Trijicon night sights which I got from Kahr. Very pleased with both.
    Good to know. I had Speer +P in there until I read this post. I actually have some HST so I did the swap.

No pics at the moment :( sorry
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

As you have already stated, the reviews are positive and negative. Here are two links that may be helpful.

Proper prep of a new kahr - KahrTalk Forums

Kahr Lube Diagram - KahrTalk Forums
    Keep us updated.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I also have the CM9 and it is a great little gun. You can't get a better pocket pistol IMO. I have a S&W 908 that I am more accurate with and prefer to carry, but the CM9 is easier to conceal. I just ordered a TT Gunleather Slim IWB for mine. I also use a DeSantis Nemesis for pocket. Enjoy it.

I bought the cm9 on a whim was looking for a decent pocket /gym gun. Very impressed with how accurate and enjoyable to shoot this gun is! You'll learn to love the little thing

My LGS has had one in for at least a few months. I know the owner so I stop by quite often. Each time I go in, I fondle it. I absolutely love the way it feels in my hands but I keep hearing this nagging voice in the back of my head saying "don't do it", so I've never bought it. Like you, I've heard either great things about Kahrs or terrible things. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground to be found, pretty much just a hate or love it type deal.

Maybe one of these days I'll pull the trigger, but as of right now I rather buy something I know I'll really like, as money always gets tight with the holidays coming up. Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who has a Kahr or know of a range that rents guns so I could actually fire it, which would allow me to ultimately put the doubts to rest. Maybe one of these days..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I too struggled with buying a Kahr but I had my eye on a PM9. Read all I could, Saw the good and bad comments. It was the size and weight that kept me coming back to the Kahr. I wanted something I could pocket carry in shorts or wear IWB all day without knowing the gun is there. So I was lucky enough to have a LGS that had a rental. I shot it and I could not get the smile off my face. This was THE gun I was looking for. Struck a deal on a new PM9 and out the door I went. The first trip to the range however had me doubting my purchase. Lots of FTF, nose dives and battery issues. Sigh. I was so disappointed. Then I stumbled onto KahrTalk's stickys about preping the Kahr. I cleaned and lubed it per the diagram, performed the magazine modification and racked the slide by hand.......alot. Next trip to the range and I was all happy again. No issues. I have shot it enough now to know the issues I had are gone. I am now using it as an EDC and BUG at work. KahrTalk is awesome and saved me from selling an awesome pistol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links