lcp vs kahr p380

lcp vs kahr p380

This is a discussion on lcp vs kahr p380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be getting a handgun for home defense and one for pocket carry in a few months. I plan on getting a S&W shield ...

View Poll Results: Which of these for pocket carry?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP

38 59.38%
  • Kahr P380

14 21.88%
  • obviously j-frame

12 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: lcp vs kahr p380

lcp vs kahr p380

I will be getting a handgun for home defense and one for pocket carry in a few months. I plan on getting a S&W shield or g26 for home defense/IWB carry. However, I will be in a lot of situations where I need something very small that can be pocket carried.

Of these two guns, which would you suggest? It is clear that the LCP is more reliable and the P380 is a much more accurate and higher quality gun. However, if the LCP goes bang when you pull the trigger and the P380 doesn't then it's a no brainer and LCP is the obvious choice.

Those who have shot both, what do you think?

Sponsor
    I chose the J frame because I love the reliability of a compact revolver, however depending on the type of clothing its going to be used in I think you may find it to large for pocket carry. My second choice would be the Kahr P380, followed closely by the LCP. I think both the LCP and P380 would serve you well, however I personally prefer the feel of the P380 (but I like the price of the LCP). All that being said, I chose the Ruger LCR .38spc to fill this role for me.

Thanks,
    Clay

I'm a Kahr and Ruger fan. I went with the LCP and haven't been disappointed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
    I will be getting a handgun for home defense and one for pocket carry in a few months. I plan on getting a S&W shield or g26 for home defense/IWB carry. However, I will be in a lot of situations where I need something very small that can be pocket carried.
    I've had and carried all three: S&W J-frame, Kahr P380 and Ruger LCP.

In terms of reliability, it's hard to ignore the basic superiority of a quality revolver. But size-wise, a J-framed sized revolver cannot compare in terms of the downright puny size of the P380 or LCP. You'll need to judge whether any concessions you make in terms of controllability, reliability and accessibility given your mode of carry are worth it to you, as compared to your normally-carried firearm.

I've had several of the P380's and never got one of them to function reliably well. Not well enough to do primary carry duty. Wonderful size, and for me at least the P380 was extremely accurate and controllable. Would love to have had any of them turn out to be 100% reliable, but that just wasn't the case ... despite a long break-in period, wide variety of ammo tried, excellent cleaning/lube regimen followed. Bummer.

The LCP is about the same size. For me, it seems to be dead nuts reliable. It feels more like the KelTec P3AT than the Kahr P380, in terms of basic operation, feel while shooting, disassembly. Utterly light, puny and concealable, like the P380 it's hard to ever know it's there. With the right holster and couple spare magazines, it disappears in the pocket.

If pocket carry's the goal, and if you're able to get a 100% reliable LCP or P380 running, then either should do you well enough for backup or go-anywhere carry. IMO, it comes down to whether the one you get ultimately turns out to be that reliable. Won't know until you get there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: lcp vs kahr p380

It is clear that the LCP is more reliable and the P380 is a much more accurate and higher quality gun. However, if the LCP goes bang when you pull the trigger and the P380 doesn't then it's a no brainer and LCP is the obvious choice.
    You answered your question right there. The LCP is a reliable little gun that does what it's designed to do. While I carry my Glock daily, if I ever couldn't conceal it I would fully trust the LCP.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Randall757 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I CC one of a pair of Kahrs but ain't know way I am going to spend the money kahr wants on a pistol that is still a very picky psitol. Do give maybe the best Taurus made and by far one of the best micro 380s a look. TCP380. Same weight as the kahr, same small size as the ruger with a way better trigger . Smooth under 5lb pull weight new and settles low still and has a slide hold open. Not picky on ammo ether as some micros tend to be. Price runs from lgs price around 185 to 190 for the FS to a 250 to 260 for the verious SS and BSS models . The FS model is a steel oxid finshed slide like ruger and kt and retails for 199 with one mag. The others have 2 mags .

I believe you already have your answer, dependability is first. I think you will find the LCP is quite accurate with a little practice. It also seems to point well naturally, which is a big plus in this type of weapon.
    Randall757 likes this.

I own both the Ruger LCP and the Kahr P380. Both guns have been very reliable and will feed all of the ammunition that I've tried. IMO, the Kahr is a much nicer gun. The trigger is very smooth and it can also shoot Buffalo Bore .380ACP +P ammunition. The Ruger is also a nice gun, but I'm not a fan of the trigger at all. The Kahr is also slightly smaller.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

...It is clear that the LCP is more reliable and the P380 is a much more accurate and higher quality gun. However, if the LCP goes bang when you pull the trigger and the P380 doesn't then it's a no brainer and LCP is the obvious choice...
    It's clear? How so? From Internet chatter?

Hey, I'm a big fan of both Ruger AND Kahr, but I'm really curious how you arrived at this clarity of thought.

Regards,
    Jim

I've owned and shot both extensively for blog work. I had zero reliability issues with either one, but kept the Kahr and traded the LCP. Primary reasons for keeping the Kahr were:

Better sights (night sights in my case) come standard.

The Kahr trigger didn't pinch my trigger finger when recoiling like the LCP did.

Kahr has last round hold open. Small thing, but I'm accustomed to pistols having that from shooting mid and full size pistols.

Lighter, smoother pull and more ergonomic trigger made for better accuracy in my case.

The Kahr shoots any commercial ammo I run through it. I've tested dozens of different loads from the hottest Buffalo Bore, Underwood, and DoubleTap down to the lowest quality FMJ range fodder. The only things it will not feed are European FMJ loads from Tulammo, Fiocchi, and Sellier and Bellot. In fairness to Kahr, I only tried rounds from one box for each of the 3 loads.
    buckeyebersa likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    It's clear? How so? From Internet chatter?

Hey, I'm a big fan of both Ruger AND Kahr, but I'm really curious how you arrived at this clarity of thought.

Regards,
    Jim
    Jim,

Solely off internet posts and complaints. No personal experience whatsoever. That is why I am asking you guys. When you read people say they sent their p380 back 3 times and it's their third one they've owned it really makes you nervous. But a lot of people shoot hundreds of flawless rounds as well. Who knows?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    I've owned and shot both extensively for blog work. I had zero reliability issues with either one, but kept the Kahr and traded the LCP. Primary reasons for keeping the Kahr were:

The Kahr trigger didn't pinch my trigger finger when recoiling like the LCP did.

Kahr has last round hold open. Small thing, but I'm accustomed to pistols having that from shooting mid and full size pistols.

Lighter, smoother pull and more ergonomic trigger made for better accuracy in my case.

The Kahr shoots any commercial ammo I run through it. I've tested dozens of different loads from the hottest Buffalo Bore, Underwood, and DoubleTap down to the lowest quality FMJ range fodder. The only things it will not feed are European FMJ loads from Tulammo, Fiocchi, and Sellier and Bellot. In fairness to Kahr, I only tried rounds from one box for each of the 3 loads.
    First, let me say I love your blog Ljutic. Well done!

Second, I have been shopping for a 380, and recently come to the same conclusion you did re: P380 over the LCP for the same reasons.

Then I learned that Ruger upgraded the LCP sights for 2013. The new sight picture is now exactly like the Rohrbaugh. In addition, Ruger improved the trigger. From what I can tell, the hammer is pre-cocked more now, which results in a shorter pull. There are several videos and blogs out there that discuss these changes.

With those changes, combined with a troubling number of a reliability horror stories about the Kahr, I decided that the slide hold open feature was not worth the extra money for the P380. Especially when you can reduce the recoil on the LCP pretty cheaply with a 12-13 pound spring and the Hogue grip.

So I bought a "Gen 2" Ruger.

I plan to run standard pressure flat nose rounds in it based on some of your research that show those rounds have a tendency to tumble and create nice stretch cavities.
    Randall757 likes this.

I have a Kahr P380 and love it! So accurate for a little gun. The trigger is far superior to the LCP IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by phil413tx View Post
    I have a Kahr P380 and love it! So accurate for a little gun. The trigger is far superior to the LCP IMHO.
    I rented a P380 at the range, and was very impressed.

The original LCP trigger, like the P3AT trigger, was not very good. Here's a video of the new LCP trigger at the 0:46 mark showing the shorter travel and earlier break. The new sights are also discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post

+1, fully agree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links