Defensive Carry banner

Glock Has Sold Me The Last Glock I Will Ever Purchase :(

7K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  ksholder 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a G21 (3rd gen) and a G30 (3rd gen) as well as a G22 (2 gen). I have had nothing but good service from these weapons and I don't plan to change them out, BUT, Glock's customer service is abismal.

I have a Surefire X300 rail-mounted weapon light that normally rides on the G21. Well, the G21 is off to BTC for a red dot, so I took the light off. When I tried to put it on the G30 for night duty, it was almost impossible to get on and worse to get off. I then tried the light on every other rail-equipped gun I have an it works fine with them. I had also noted earlier that the G30 will not fit into holsters that are broken in for the G21 as the G30 is too wide to get in and out without much effort.

So, I call Glock and get their tech service. The only thing the technician can do is keep repeating the party line that the holster and light are 3rd party equipment and Glock does not recommend the use of 3rd party equipment. We went over the fact that the specs are for each gun to be the same width and the rails should be the same width. He then simply keeps repeating the party line with the added info that the holster and light must be out of spec and I need to call their manufacturers. I finally hung up in frustration.

I like my Glocks, but that interchange has convinced me that I have all of their product that I need to have.

If you have the same set-up. Have you tried the light on the G30? How did it fit? I appreciate your input or that from others.

See less See more
#4 ·
What did you expect them to do?

One of the reasons I bought a Glock 36 was I noticed holster manufacturers list the Glock 30 seperately because the slide, and maybe some other part as well, is fatter than other Glocks. At the store I tried a G30 in the holster I use for my 19 and 26 and it didn't fit. So I'm not at all surprised with the result you had.

Take the light to a store and see if it fits on a different Glock 30. If it fits on others, but not yours, you have some basis for claiming yours is defective. Otherwise, not sure what you expect them to do. It could be you just need to slick the rail a bit with some emery paper and it will slide on. Or not.

Fitch

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#6 ·
Why don't you pick another manufacturer of your choosing and tell them the same thing, and see what they say. I bet the conversation will be quite similar to the one you had with Glock.

Have you measured the Glock 30 next to the 21 with calipers?

#10 ·
Why don't you pick another manufacturer of your choosing and tell them the same thing, and see what they say. I bet the conversation will be quite similar to the one you had with Glock.
Because all my other guns with rails work with the light - nothing to complain about.

Have you measured the Glock 30 next to the 21 with calipers?
Yes, the G30 is 0.02 wider than the G21 - overall. I have not measured the frame rails and it will be a while before I can as the G21 is getting enhanced at the present time.

#8 ·
If I was dating a girl that I really liked, who was cute & cooked well, who liked shooting & fishing & knew college basketball, who's Mom was lean & pretty & even tempered, and who's Poppa had a big ol' pile of money, I don't think I would break-up with her because I had one bad phone conversation with her fat, ugly second cousin. I'm not a GLOCK fanboy, but I do regularly carry a G19. IMHO, you are going to miss them more than they...miss you.

#38 ·
If I was dating a girl that I really liked, who was cute & cooked well, who liked shooting & fishing & knew college basketball, who's Mom was lean & pretty & even tempered, and who's Poppa had a big ol' pile of money, I don't think I would break-up with her because I had one bad phone conversation with her fat, ugly second cousin. I'm not a GLOCK fanboy, but I do regularly carry a G19. IMHO, you are going to miss them more than they...miss you.
speaking of college basketball.....How bout them Hoosiers?!

#9 ·
Both the G21 & G30 are full size frame models - not SF.

As to what I expected them to say - Something other than, in effect - we never make a product that has issues - go screw yourself. I asked, and he could not provide the exact dimensions for the rail and frame below the rail - I could mic it and see if it was in spec. Given that it does not appear to be in spec, I expected to be able to send them some pics of the gun mic'ed and then see how we could solve the issue.

I did not expect them to say not to use any aftermarket items on their weapon- holster included. I did not expect them to - out of hand - say all issues are the fault of the maker of whatever you are using - especially when it is a well known and high quality brand.

I will continue to enjoy my weapons, they are not the problem. However, given Glock's demonstrated attitude, I think 3 is enough.

In effect, I am keeping the girl, just ditching contact with the second cousin.

#11 ·
Not a Glock drooler, although I do own two of em. I was going to say to check the G30 against it's G30SF brother, as the width difference may play into it, but looks like you already did that.
I will agree that the rail should be universal. If I've got a LaRue, and i can't fit a tac light or BUIS on the rail, and their customer service tries to peddle me one of their products, I'd be pretty pissed as well. They make them universal for a reason-- so you can outfit it how YOU want to, not how they want to.
Is it possible the guy you spoke to was relatively new? Honestly, the only things I've ever heard about Glock's customer service is excellence. If it was a new person, he may not have the mental fortitude that his peers do to answer your questions, and is simply reading from a cue card of answers.
I like the idea of taking your light with your G30 into your local dealer and comparing between the two. If it fits theirs with little/no effort, you got yourself a lemon. I have no doubt Glock will replace at no charge.
My only true beef with Glock is their no lead / no handload stance. It's a culpability cop out in my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't still shoot my SWC through my G19 and G30, but still it rubs me wrong a bit. Oh well, if that's the only problem with the gun, I'll keep blasting away with them.

#43 ·

My only true beef with Glock is their no lead / no handload stance. It's a culpability cop out in my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't still shoot my SWC through my G19 and G30, but still it rubs me wrong a bit. Oh well, if that's the only problem with the gun, I'll keep blasting away with them.
That's pretty much the same warning most gun makers give, not "just Glock." Any company these days wants to CYA.

#12 ·
As far as I'm concerned, lights don't need to be hanging off a gun anyway.

So send it to me, I don't need the light. You get rid of a gun that doesn't work for you, and I get one that I can make do anything that needs doing. Problem solved.

Reactions: gen3
#13 ·
I doubt I have any Glocks in my future as well. Glock just doesn't seem to offer the "perfection" they used to...far too many BTF, extractor, ejector, and finish issues with their newer Gen 3 and Gen 4 models. From what I see on the various forums, it doesn't appear Glock is taking ownership of these issues either and aren't handling complaints to the benefit of the customer.

Normally I wouldn't put so much weight into what I read on the various forums but there is a worrying consistency to the customer service and performance complaints.

#14 ·
yes, never buy a gun based on internet chatter. I bought Glocks long before there was an internet, and have never had a failure or issue of any kind.....so you see, its not the Glock that is the problem,
but rather the internet BS that seems to grow like a mushroom cloud. Talk to people that own a few Glocks, and you will most likely get an entirely different story than you read on the
internet forums where it is now in style to bash a Glock.....just like this ridiculous post. You can't get a light to fit your Glock, and that is somehow Glock's fault? Seriously? Haven't seen where
you called Surefire and asked them to help with the issue.

#18 ·
@Zonker,
I'm sorry, but I do disagree with you on the SureFire point. If the thing fits on every other pistol he has, to include another Glock, how in the world is that an issue with SureFire? Should they put on their packaging, "Can be used with all firearms except Glock 30 because they decided to be unique with that one"? Not likely. If it's only happening with that pistol, I think we can find the least common denominator here, and odds are pretty good it's only this one particular G30 and not all of them.
As for issues with Glocks, you know the Gen 4's were riddled with issues at first, especially the G19. Well, riddled may be a bit of an overstatement. If you're denying that, you're just as bad as those people who bash Glocks without ever even firing them. You're buying into an ideology that you're not willing to deviate from. If this is the case, so be it. Just recognize it for what it is.

#22 ·
If you get a Ruger, then you won't have these problems. Customer service is amazing.
Personally never figured out what to put on a rail. I used the training of flashlight in the other hand and high or low-away from my body in left hand (I'm a righty). A light makes a GREAT target for someone else to shoot at, as well as following a laser beam right back to the gun and you. Night sights really light up your face as well and it makes a great target for the enemy-I paint a little fishing lure phosphorus glow paint on just the front blade. Maybe a bayonete knife would work good on the gun? Hosters? Call Don Hume and you'll probably find one reasonably priced.

#24 ·
Not a Glock puppet myself, that said, I have always felt that you can spend a lot more money on much less of a gun than a Glock--I've always been pleased with the ones I've owned or carried. I have to echo others to say that the problem is not with the Glock proper. Glock, as all other manufacturers whose literature I've read, pretty much have the blanket disclaimer as to aftermarket (non-Glock) add-ons. Outside of a flaw that impairs the weapon's ability to operate as designed, there probably really isn't much they can or would do.

BTW, if you want to contend with really lame service on an absolute weapon flaw, try dealing with SIG in NH.

#26 ·

BTW, if you want to contend with really lame service on an absolute weapon flaw, try dealing with SIG in NH.
I don't know what your talking about but I've had nothing but perfect service from SIG. I've gotten free stuff replacement night sights free. Way larger discounts on mags then I should have. They have perfected customer service.

#25 ·
I don't really know what you expected with that phone call, a magical fairy to come out of your phones speaker and make your light fit? Get real. You even said yourself that the glock 30 is bigger then the 21. 0.02 inches is a lot when these things are made to exact measurements. What you need to do is find another light that will work on the glock 30.

#28 ·
Would be interesting to take your light to a gun store and try it on another G30, just to see what happens. FWIW, my Glock tac light fits just fine on both my G19 and my G30.

Glad Surefire is helping you out.

#29 ·
I can see how you can be upset. Glock is at a standstill in my opinion. They are depending on one weapon platform, that has offered very little in terms of new products, to keep them at the top, while other manufacturers are trying hard to listen to what the consumer wants, and updating what they have to offer. GLock, ya better pick it up, and keep us interested in new products...or else my money will go elsewhere.

#30 ·
I am glad Glock has remained true to it's design. They build a proven and time tested gun, on a platform that works and has proven it's durability beyond a doubt.
For me, its like a Colt 1911. There is no need to look any farther, unless you cannot adapt to the guns. There are other companies out there willing to scramble at the whim of the shooters who can't shoot or don't like their gun.

IMO, I'd rather have something I can count on to work everytime under all conditions, than to by a scaled down and weakened mouse gun. If I need a pocket gun, there is another proven and unchanged designed called the j frame that fits the bill.

Yes Glock, keep doin what you are doin! You have served me well since my first one in 1988, and I have learned to adapt to your gun, because it works, it's accurate, and it's reliable, rather than cry about stupid things called ergos, or softer grips for my little hands.
Keep them coming as they are!

#33 ·
I agree with you. I believe the Glock will be around 100 years from now like the 1911 is now. It is time proven and works. My beef is not so much with the gun or its design, but the customer service. I wonder if 100 years from now if there will be Glock, Inc. making Glocks or 25 companies making Glock pattern guns. Time will tell.

#34 ·
I'm really curious about this issue. I definitely wouldn't expect it from Glock. Could you please provide some more information so we know exactly what the problem is? is it the width of rail? the position of the slot? Some other dimension? Would you be willing to take a few pictures of the light where it binds and fails to attach?

Thanks!
Clay

#35 ·
Everyone has been trying to catch glock ever since they realized glock knew what they were doing. Glock has changed the way guns are made.
Look around plastic and stamped metal everywhere. Oh some still go all metal but if you are looking for durability at a price its going to look like a glock no matter who is making it. Its way to easy to fix a little problem like a light that wont fit. I wonder if glock has a light that will fit?
Just some thoughts based on whats been said in this thread.

#41 ·
you might have a problem and you might not. i know that on my duty glock 23 my light is hard to get off. when i had a glock 22 the same light went on and off easy. but this is a small problem to me and i am not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. when it come to glock customer service i have never had any problems with them when i go to the factory for work. they have rebuild several older glocks for me while i waited at no charge. the person you got on the phone was stating the glock party line. you can bet glock get several calls a day from people that are trying to get over on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.