To Bob or Not To Bob

This is a discussion on To Bob or Not To Bob within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about bobbing my Springfield Loaded Champion. Any thoughts? My concern is the impact on my grip....

Thread: To Bob or Not To Bob

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

To Bob or Not To Bob

Thinking about bobbing my Springfield Loaded Champion. Any thoughts? My concern is the impact on my grip.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Re: To Bob or Not To Bob

Most of your grip is coming from your thumb and middle finger so I don't think that will be a big issue. What may change is you natural point of aim. Before you bob, I would try to find a sample gun and see how it fits your hand.

For me a bobtailed gun nestles right in on my lower palm allmost like its resting on a shelf.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

I very much like the Bobtail 1911. If you want to know what it (kinda') feels like, Go grab a Kahr T9. Or a FN High Power with thin grips. It really doesn't change your grip feel too much (if you're already using a flat mainspring housing), it just takes that pointy end off the rear grip to make it less likely to print during concealed carry.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Shouldn't be a problem. I've had both conventional grip and bobbed, I personally like the bobbed. Seems to conceal a little easier without the sharper edge. Look around and see if anyone in your area has a Kimber or Dan Wesson bobbed model to check the feel.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've only shot one bobbed 1911, but it was accurate and very comfortable to shoot.

Distinguished Member
    ah, I see. When I first saw the thread title I thought it was talking about me.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

My Kimber super carry pro comes with a curved backstrap already and that was a big selling point to me. Carrying would be easier with a bob was well.

Personally I don't like 1911's with that pointed backstrap.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Links