Traded my Kahr PM9 against an XDs (and a question)

This is a discussion on Traded my Kahr PM9 against an XDs (and a question) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally did it, and I'm thrilled! Nothing against the Kahr at all, but after comparing it side-by-side against the XDs, I had to make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Traded my Kahr PM9 against an XDs (and a question)

I finally did it, and I'm thrilled! Nothing against the Kahr at all, but after comparing it side-by-side against the XDs, I had to make the deal. I was amazed at how closely they compare in size. Technically and officially, the PM9 is .90 inches wide, while the XDs is 1.0 inch. But holding them side by side, I could see ZERO physical difference in width. And, the XDs is maybe 1/3 inch longer than the PM9 and about a (metric) gnat's hair taller.

Here are the XDs advantages from where I sit:

Caliber: I would rather carry 5+1 in .45 ACP than 6+1 in 9mm. No caliber wars, please. This is my personal preference. I just feel better with a .45 than a 9mm.

Safeties: The XDs has the trigger safety and grip safety. Since I pocket carry this at home, I feel better having some semblance of manual safeties, neither of which I have to remember to disengage when needed. The Kahr has none.

Customer Service: Springfield sets the standard in firearms customer service. Not knocking Kahr because I've never dealt with them, but Springfield is the best.

Disassembly/Reassembly: The XDs, like my XD 45 Compact, is dirt simple to take apart and put back together. The Kahr takes a bit more effort. The XDs is so easy that even a liberal could do it.

I took her to the range Saturday because I always test a gun before carrying it. I put exactly 100 rounds of Remington JHP's across it. Completely flawless.

Also, I was actually shocked by the accuracy. My track record with polymer guns has been that I can usually hit the side of a barn, since I greatly prefer the 1911's trigger. But this little gun is very accurate in my hands, which I honestly didn't expect.

Now the question.... the one thing I miss about the Kahr is the night sights. Do any of you have night sights on your XDs? I have Trijicons on my 1911's and I really like them, but I also liked the larger dots on the Kahr, whatever brand they were.

So what night sights are recommended?
    Drgnfly and mbguy29577 like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Congrats and good luck with the XDs!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Contact James, he's the go to guy for sight installs on them!
    Welcome

A lot of people are going with the TruGlo TFO's, looks and apparently performs very well on it.

I also went from Kahr to the XD-S (sold a PM9 and MK9), never looked back - the trigger on the Kahr is good for a long smooth DA trigger, but the XD-S just trumps it in so many ways.

Congratulations!
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

They are two different guns. For CCW it is hard to beat Kahr. I would not trade my PM9 or P9. They have thier own place.
    Vodek
    zonker1986 and sliponby like this.

How do they compare in terms of weight? What type of pocket holster are you using for the XDs?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Pocket a XDs hahaha. A 6.3" x 4.4" 1" wide pistol 21.5oz or more ain't a pocket pistol anymore. If your happy thats all that matters but control the smake blow'n. Its iwb pistols now in the same class as so many others. Anyhow enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Pocket a XDs hahaha. A 6.3" x 4.4" 1" wide pistol 21.5oz or more ain't a pocket pistol anymore. If your happy thats all that matters but control the smake blow'n. Its iwb pistols now in the same class as so many others. Anyhow enjoy.
    Note that I said...... I pocket carry it on my own property. And legally, I could straight-up open carry at home in this state anyway.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    How do they compare in terms of weight? What type of pocket holster are you using for the XDs?
    Empty with magazine:

PM9 - 15.9 ounces
    XDs - 21.5 ounces

Personally, I think the weight difference is negligible.

I've ordered a DeSantis Superfly, but in the meantime I went ahead and got a Nemesis so I could go ahead and carry it.

-miklcolt45

Thanks for the specs. I guess I was asking more for your impressions on how it feels in your pocket. I went from a PM9 to a LCR (mostly for reliability reasons) but a nice side benefit is how much lighter it is in the pocket. The XDs seems like it would be really heavy if you were to carry it all day in a pocket.

Now, I do sometimes carry a Glock 26 in a pocket while on duty, but with all the other gear, it doesn't bother me much in that circumstance.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Thanks for the specs. I guess I was asking more for your impressions on how it feels in your pocket. I went from a PM9 to a LCR (mostly for reliability reasons) but a nice side benefit is how much lighter it is in the pocket. The XDs seems like it would be really heavy if you were to carry it all day in a pocket.

Now, I do sometimes carry a Glock 26 in a pocket while on duty, but with all the other gear, it doesn't bother me much in that circumstance.
    I see. Weight-wise, I wouldn't give a nickel for the difference. As for the feel, the XDs feels maybe 5% bigger. It's only a tiny bit tighter when I draw it, but still not a problem. Of course, to be fair, I was used to carrying the PM9 in a SuperFly, which is in the mail, and for now the XDs is in a Nemesis, so that might account for a bit of difference. In fact, one gun shop told me that the SuperFly or Nemesis size for the XDs is the same as for the Glock 26.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Contact James, he's the go to guy for sight installs on them!
    Welcome

A lot of people are going with the TruGlo TFO's, looks and apparently performs very well on it.

I also went from Kahr to the XD-S (sold a PM9 and MK9), never looked back - the trigger on the Kahr is good for a long smooth DA trigger, but the XD-S just trumps it in so many ways.

Congratulations!
    TruGlo TFO's work great. Show up great in low light, or when there's lots of light.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    TruGlo TFO's work great. Show up great in low light, or when there's lots of light.
    +1. I had them on a XD-M and they are very nice. Have a Gunsmith do it they are in there really tight and the chance of busting the sight are high IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Excellent summary and thanks. I have had my XDS for two months and its great. I was suppose to sell my Kahr pM9, but can't part with it, but do prefer the xd for carry because of the safety features.

I have had a great customer service with Kahr when I first got it a few years ago.

Tough choice, but I agree and Springfield has the edge in my opinion.

Congrats on the purchase. Heard enough good things about these guns now that I want to rent one at the range and experience it for myself. I'm already a big fan of Springfield as I own an XDm and an XD subcompact. Can't speak for the customer service because I've never had to use it. I'm not fond of the .45 caliber but I really want to try this gun. If it shoots straight and the recoil is somewhat manageable it just might make the wish list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links