Kahr Cm9 vs Rohrbaugh R9

This is a discussion on Kahr Cm9 vs Rohrbaugh R9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heres my dilemma.. I have both a ruger lcp and kahr cm9. People say for concealled there isnt much difference in the size of the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bandrich
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Kahr Cm9 vs Rohrbaugh R9

Kahr Cm9 vs Rohrbaugh R9

Heres my dilemma.. I have both a ruger lcp and kahr cm9. People say for concealled
    there isnt much difference in the size of the two. Two me I can tell. I love how you can
    just totally forget about the lcp. But its only a 380. Thats my issue. I want a Rohrbaugh
    because its supposedly the same size as the lcp correct?? Does anyone have pics
    comparing the grip widths ot the Rohrbaugh vs the Kahr and grip length from the back view?? T
    his is my main concern. I carry my guns iwb with crossbreed holsters. Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk79 View Post
    Heres my dilemma.. I have both a ruger lcp and kahr cm9. People say for concealled
    there isnt much difference in the size of the two. Two me I can tell. I love how you can
    just totally forget about the lcp. But its only a 380. Thats my issue. I want a Rohrbaugh
    because its supposedly the same size as the lcp correct?? Does anyone have pics
    comparing the grip widths ot the Rohrbaugh vs the Kahr and grip length from the back view?? T
    his is my main concern. I carry my guns iwb with crossbreed holsters. Thanks in advance!!
    The big features of the LCP are how thin it is and the almost total absence of square corners. The closest thing to the LCP in 9mm may be the SIG P938 SAS. It's almost as thin as the LCP, nicely melted for carry, and a lot less expensive than the Rohrbaugh.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

The R9 is about the same size as the LCP, but heavier. It is not rated for +P ammo (if that matters to you) and the recoil spring must be changed regularly to ensure reliability (IIRC it even comes with a spare). Another option in the same price range is the Boberg XR9s - just be prepared to wait for one.

Personally, I would strongly suggest you look at a light weight revolver, like the Ruger LCR or a S&W J frame. My personal experience with micro 9mms has been trying. BTDT...fuhghedaboudit.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I also have an LCP and a Kahr CM9. I love both. The LCP in the summer cannot be beat IMHO because of the size. Easy to conceal in swim trunk waist band with a t-shirt. The Kahr is only 16oz. and I find easy to conceal with a hoodie in the cooler months. I have Hornady Critical Duty +P rounds in it and I feel that it would meet my needs.
    pir8fan likes this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    jdk79 Looking for approval? Go to try there webe site and review the difference in dementions to your cm9. If the differencs like NO hold open on the slide, slower mag changes , recoil spring changes every 200 rounds , NO +P ammo or nato ammo are worth the cost to you buy one. Oh advertized weight is less mag so real world weight is with in a 1 1/2oz of your pm9. And then there that price tag of 1100.00 dollars +.

You may want to look at diamondback db9 if a small yet 4 oz lighter 9mm pistol is a must along with being way lower in cost

I've seen a lot of reviews that rate the PM9 as being a better all around choice than the R9. I've seen no reviews that went the other way. They may be out there, I just haven't seen them. I looked closely at both including about 200 rounds each at my range. I went with the PM9. For me, there was no doubt the PM9 was a much better choice. I've not fired the CM9 but the reviews of it are good, though not as glowing as for the PM9. Cost for me was not an issue. I purchased my PM9 under Kahr's NRA Instructor Discount program.

I also have the LCP. I carry both in the summer as my EDC guns. In the winter, they become BUGs and my EDC becomes a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45.

All the pics ive seen show the PM9/CM9 vs the R9 as very close in size, almost too close. However most people tend to agree that the shape and geometry of the R9 makes it carry easier.

I dont know. Also not sure of any weight differences.

I have a CM9 and don't really consider that the Rohrbaugh would be a better option......at least not $800 worth.
    The Diamondback DB 9 might also be worth a look as it is considerably smaller than the CM9....believe it weighs around
    11 oz unloaded which is a tad lighter than the Keltec PF-9.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Unless you've just got a hankerin' (and I completely understand) to spend more money & maintenance than otherwise necessary to own a very, VERY exclusive handgun (think: Rolex), then you're gaining nothing (IMHO) buying the R9. In fact, buy TWO CM9 Kahrs for the same money. One for each front pocket. It's tough to beat a New York reload.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I had to dig deep in the archives for these so please no comments on how bad these pictures are compared to what I publish now.

PM9 - Old style blunt nose

Rohrbaugh R9

My take is that the Kahr has better sights and last round hold open. Rated for +P ammo if that's your thing. You can also get magazines from many different sources. Night sights and/or Crimson Trace laser can also be added if you so desire.

Rohrbaugh has none of the above, but is MUCH easier to pocket carry for me due to size, weight, and width. It's what's in my pocket right now if that tells you anything.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I would rather carry a kahr or a keltec maybe even the diamondback than the spend the money on pistol that has as mini limits to it like a r9. I would be buying recoil spring for one of the r9's evey 2 to 3 weeks. After all its a tool ,not jewelry. Some times 3 to 5% smaller is not better.

Been following pocket 9 threads all week. I think I may have settled on the Kahr....but which one??? CM9? PM9?? MK9??? Hmmm....possibly the CM9. We aren't made of money, after all.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    Been following pocket 9 threads all week. I think I may have settled on the Kahr....but which one??? CM9? PM9?? MK9??? Hmmm....possibly the CM9. We aren't made of money, after all.
    I have a CM9. It's pretty stiff at first, but it will loosen up after you put some rounds down range! So far I have 375 rounds without a problem. That includes WWB, Magtech, Federal Champion, and five different brands of HP loads....
    Tony

. I would not carry the MK9 as it weighs to much for the size and don't care to pay the extra bucks for ether the pm or mk so for me its the CM for pocket or CW for iwb carry. And thats what I do CC. Both have been 100% reliable for the 3 years I have had them.

Kahr Cm9 vs Rohrbaugh R9

I have a CM9 and carry it either IWB or pocket. It has been 100% from day one. I am able to shoot very accurately with it. I highly recommend it. The trigger is great.

Links