Rant: Annoying "Safety" stuff from S&W

This is a discussion on Rant: Annoying "Safety" stuff from S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W Model 41 that was built in the 1970s the manual consists of one page printed on both sides. When I bought ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rant: Annoying "Safety" stuff from S&W

VIP Member
    I have a S&W Model 41 that was built in the 1970s the manual consists of one page printed on both sides. When I bought my Ruger SR1911 made in 2012 it came with a 43-page manual of which over 2/3s are just warning, cautions and notes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

I don't mind it. It's not bright white so it's not glowing. I'd much rather have the letters on it than be handicapped with a mag disconnect. Granted, I'd prefer it wasn't there.

I'm much more irritated by the fact I can see the silver cases through the gap of the slide stop on the left side than the safety letters. If you hadn't yet noticed this, I hope I didn't push you over the OCD edge. :) Lettering aside, form and function is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    ... Lawnmowers routinely include a warning that you should not place your hands or feet under the deck while the mower is running. I'm not making this up, either.

Regards,
    Jim
    True story: My mother-in-law's cardiologist decided to use his lawn mower as a hedge trimmer.

Yes, he is now an internist, since he can no longer hold a scalpel with three fingers missing.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

The mag-removed firing warning makes sense, when various guns have differing features. Particularly when there are continuing instances of negligent folks failing to know their tools and use them appropriately.

Me, I'm waiting for the label on power cords that warn against licking the prongs. Then I'll really start ranting ... but, about the irredeemable stupidity of Man.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Lawnmowers routinely include a warning that you should not place your hands or feet under the deck while the mower is running. I'm not making this up, either.
    Back when, one of my friends got distracted and ran the tractor mower over the foot of another friend, while we were all doing yard work together. (I'm not making that one up, either.) Tore the top of his tennis shoes right off the feet, never touching him. Can't recall the mower having any such signage on the deck, though it was obvious the "business end" meant business. Hm ... perhaps he's the one you should blame, yer Honor ... the one with the short attention span.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The mag-removed firing warning makes sense, when various guns have differing features. Particularly when there are continuing instances of negligent folks failing to know their tools and use them appropriately.
    I'll have to respectfully disagree. There are 5 brands of pistols between my husband and I, and I don't know, nor do I need to know, which have mag disconnect safeties or not. Gun loaded--Gun go boom when I hit the switch. Gun not loaded (visual and tactile check)--Gun don't go boom. Relying on warning labels rather than following the firearm safety rules 100% of the time leads to NDs. I dare to say that such warning labels and "safety" indicators (load chamber, mag safety, etc.) have the potential of creating the accident they are intended to prevent. All mechanical (and written) safeties can fail.
    Last edited by MamaMaria; November 19th, 2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    I'll have to respectfully disagree. There are 5 brands of pistols between my husband and I, and I don't know, nor do I need to know, which have mag disconnect safeties or not. Gun loaded--Gun go boom when I hit the switch. Gun not loaded (visual and tactile check)--Gun don't go boom.
    Hence the descriptions to the contrary, when it's indeed contrary to one's assumptions.

I have no problem with the stupidity of reliance on pretty signage. It's fairly worthless if one's going to ignore the basic gun safety/handling guidelines. Absolutely. But there are distinctions in function from one product to the next. From that perspective, it's hard to argue that notifying the owner of the features has no value.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I care not what my weapon says, just that it functions.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hence the descriptions to the contrary, when it's indeed contrary to one's assumptions.

I have no problem with the stupidity of reliance on pretty signage. It's fairly worthless if one's going to ignore the basic gun safety/handling guidelines. Absolutely. But there are distinctions in function from one product to the next. From that perspective, it's hard to argue that notifying the owner of the features has no value.
    I just reread OP's post. "Caution- capable of firing with magazine removed." For some reason I misread it as "NOT capable of firing with magazine removed." This is precisely the confusion that an inexperienced or ignorant person could encounter. I can imagine someone turning the loaded gun sideways, sweeping their spouse, while putting on their reading glasses to read the print on the side of the gun.

I still stand by my response. If one follows the firearm safety rules, no warnings are necessary. If one disregards the rules, no amount of warnings is sufficient. Irregardless of my opinion against these "safeties," I own pistols with and without various warnings and indicators. I still handle them all exactly the same, following all safety rules all the time (and 'cuz I never seem to be near my reading glasses to read the side of that gun).

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I care not what my weapon says, just that it functions.
    +1 You said in 11 words what took me two posts and three paragraphs to explain. Succinctness is not my strength, just ask my husband!

Rant: Annoying "Safety" stuff from S&W

So I figured it out. We need a sign that says people don't kill people safety's do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Well I got me a SW642 without the lock b4 they r history....The M&P series pistol come with the locks now, I don't know if the new SD40VE has the locks or not but my old SW40VE sigma does not have it so I believe I will keep it since it goes bang ever time I pull the trigger.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Next time you see a plaintiff's lawyer, tell him "Thanks". That profession has screwed up everything from guns to healthcare.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I really loathe mag disconnect safeties. Kudos to them for omitting that "feature", even if they do have to print a dopey warning on the gun.

Am laughing at all the responses. :-) Particularly at Spovik #17, as I recently got my first polymer special--a S&W SD40VE--and realized the other day that I could look at it from the side and see cartridge cases thru the space between frame & slide. I thought, "you have got to be kidding me!" Now all I need is an orange label stating, "WARNING: LIVE CARTRIDGES VISIBLE IN MAGAZINE". I decided to shake my head and keep on going, as it's functioned flawlessly for the first 280 rounds of assorted ammo I put through it. Not sure I ever had one do that before a break-in period, but I guess the tight manufacturing tolerances that often cause a new gun to jam. . .aren't exactly a design flaw in this instance!

When I think of all the near-misses that 54 years (tomorrow) of life have entailed for me, I could have caused a heckuva lot of warning signs. Anyone remember those slingshots we used to buy at the hardware store for 10 cents--made of bent steel wire, two rubber bands, and a leather strap for the rock? "WARNING: MAIN PROPULSION SYSTEM MAY FAIL AT FULL COCK" would have worked for starters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links