Charter .44 Bulldog

This is a discussion on Charter .44 Bulldog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once again I was poking around some gun haunts (which may prompt some to wonder if and when I actually work) and I happened upon ...

Thread: Charter .44 Bulldog

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Charter .44 Bulldog

Once again I was poking around some gun haunts (which may prompt some to wonder if and when I actually work) and I happened upon a new Charter .44 at my favorite pawn shop.

I'd passed on a chance to buy one a couple of years back and always wondered about it. I got a S&W 296 instead and it just wasn't the gun for me. It actually hurt to shoot, didn't shoot to point of aim and was too big for my little girly-man hands. It was awkward for me, too.

I tried out the Charter, and it actually fit my hand. I am considering going and putting it on layaway tomorrow. I've heard good things and bad things about Charters, both with regard to accuracy and reliability.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with Charter .44's, particularly the latest models?

If so, I'd like to hear from you!!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Randy - I am not sure if I recall correctly but Class3NH may have mentioned this gun not so long ago.

My experience (not with this one) was that an old Pathfinder I had went badly loose - it was only a .22! That was way back tho.

I think the modern Bulldog is quite capable tho not sure if it'll take a beating in terms of huge ammo thruput. Is it 44 mag or Special - I forget but 44 spl loads will I think work nicely anyways.

I would buy one based on limited useage but good for carry possibly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Mine has been "on order" for sometime now. Just waiting for it to come in. We should compare range notes! What are you going to do about a holster? I've been told that any holster fitting a Ruger SP101 will also fit the BullDog. I've also been in touch with Blade-Tech and been told they make a Kydex holster for the BullDog. HKS makes speedloaders for them as well.

One thing I do worry about is the muzzle energy. Seems a bit anemic when compared to even some decent 40 S&W loads.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

John Taffin has an article in a recent copy of either GUNS or AMERICAN HANDGUNNER magazine. He talks about three different Charter Arms 44 Specials that are carried and/or used by himand his wife for personal protection.

If they are good enough for JT they are good enough for me!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    ExSoldier:

Check out the "Charter Jet" at www.bellcharteroakholsters.com. Pricey, but in a configuration I like. When not using a SmartCarry, I like IWB's, and I especially like them with the belt loops off the body of the gun.

Warhawk:

Hey, I agree with you on the Taffin thing.

I think I'll put it on layaway tomorrow. I just bought a sweet old 870 Wingmaster, and until some more cash comes in, I think the Missus gets dibs on the available money. She doesn't gripe about my guns, so I'm careful not to take too much untoward advantage of that.

I wonder for which weight the sights are regulated....

Randy,

Be sure and let us know how that Bulldog works out for you. I looked at a new Undercover in 38 sp a year or so ago and didn't see near the part fitting quality of my old 70s Undercover.

That said, now that MKS has assumed ownership of Charter, I'm curious as to assembly line quality. If its improved from a few years ago, I will look into getting a new Bulldog also.

Randy
    I posted a couple of Pugs that I purchased a while back..both blue and 2.5 in BBLs. one haa a hammer the other is factory hammerless with a slight spur on it.. Both gun shoot and carry exceptionally well.
    I posed it under "OK you can laugh" in Concealed Carry Guns folder, as I can't bring up the link right now.....you might want to look and check it out....They both have the same size as a Colt Detective Spl revolver, although they're 5 shot unlike the 6 shot Colt. Hope this helps
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I had a new Charter Arms Undercover .38.
    I was broken out of the box. With a bent ejector rod. Sent it to the factory, they fixed it. About 300 rounds later the transfer bar broke. Sent it back again. Both times I paid the shipping. about $60 total. Sold it at a loss when it came back the 2nd time.
    I was shooting standard loads (no +p) and the frame screws kept backing out. IMO they are not very good. If their .38 can't hold up, how well will their .44 or .357 do?

Just because a gun writer gives it a good review, on the old guns, not the new ones. Doesn't carry that much weight with me. Especially when I have first hand experience. I won't be buying a CA again anytime soon, or any other wheel-gun for that matter.

never had trouble with either of the 2 Pugs that I have........but then again...........I would'nt feed em a steady diet of hot loads either

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I had a new Charter Arms Undercover .38.
    I was broken out of the box. With a bent ejector rod. Sent it to the factory, they fixed it. About 300 rounds later the transfer bar broke. Sent it back again. Both times I paid the shipping. about $60 total. Sold it at a loss when it came back the 2nd time.
    I was shooting standard loads (no +p) and the frame screws kept backing out. IMO they are not very good. If their .38 can't hold up, how well will their .44 or .357 do?

Just because a gun writer gives it a good review, on the old guns, not the new ones. Doesn't carry that much weight with me. Especially when I have first hand experience. I won't be buying a CA again anytime soon, or any other wheel-gun for that matter.
    Whirlwind you really ought to read the article I was talking about before you pass judgement. Mr. Taffin's article is about thre Charter 44's, one from each of "vintage" or variation the gun has gone thru over the years.

I'll be the first to agree that Charter Arms guns aren't as good as a S&W or Ruger, but Ruger doesn't make a 44 Special, and the S&W 44 Specials are VERY pricey. If you want a big bore sunbbie and don't have a lot to spend, then a Charter Arms could be right for you.

Your example of one bad gun is hardly a damnation of the entire brand.

here's my charter pug......
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=5584
    and a 629 3 inch if that might work more for you
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=2851
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; October 7th, 2006 at 10:20 AM.

The bulldogs are great guns in my experience. I have one of the newer ones and it shoots great with whatever I put in it. Recoil is very tame for a big bore and with cowboy loads it seems to kick something like a .38 special. Definately do not be afraid to buy this gun, its worth it.

Love mine

I have an older bulldog with a 3 inch barrel that I used to qualify with as a revolver for CCW. I load 200 gr Laser Cast RNFP over 6.0 gr. 700X for 913 fps. I have shot several hundred of these loads in the process and the gun is now very smooth for DA work. CCI loads 200 gr Gold Dots for 44 Spl. for just under $22 for 50 rds. I may add one of their stainless revolvers to my collection in the next year. I like them!

Drove late evening and early morning semi-tractor/trailer operation in Texas in the 70's. I carried a Bulldog. IMHO a very good CCW choice. Easy to work the docks and trailer drop/hook carrying it. Loved it!!!
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

I was looking thru some old records and I did indeed have a Charter 44 bulldog, many years ago. This would have been in the early 1980's. It was a blued version and had a set of Pachmayer compac grips on it, and as I recall I used almost exclusively with shot loads for snakes while fishing.

Links