Getting used to my Glock 30SF.

This is a discussion on Getting used to my Glock 30SF. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have put 200 rounds or so through the G30SF, I like the way it handles, I am not new to Glocks just new to ...

Thread: Getting used to my Glock 30SF.

I have put 200 rounds or so through the G30SF, I like the way it handles, I am not new to Glocks just new to the 45acp in a Glock. I hope someone can tell me if plated bullets are ok to shoot through the Glocks? (such as Berry's or Rainer bullets)

I was surprised to see just how small overall the G30 is, for instance I have a Remora holster #6 for my G26 it fits snug, then I learned that the same holster fits my G30, I carry AIWB and it almost the same as the G26. Magazine capacity is the same at 10 + 1 in both, Wow now I see why the G30 has such a loyal following.

For a self-defense pistol with the 45acp cartridge the G30 would be hard to beat. I am very happy with my purchase and may look at a Glock in 10mm for hiking where there are bears.

Plated or full metal jacket are ok to shoot, someone correct me if they are not the same. Bare lead and especially soft lead are to avoid.

You are not helping with the urges I have for a GLOCK 30SF.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The G30 is a mighty fine pistol. The overall size is similar to Glock's other sub-compacts, but keep in mind that the slide and frame are slightly thicker than the others. It will fit a Remora because the holster is flexible. It more than likely won't fit a more rigid leather or kydex holster.

Yes, plated bullets are OK to shoot in a stock-barreled Glock Model 30SF.

Yes, you can get an aftermarket (non-Glock-brand) barrel that will let you shoot lead bullets. Lone Wolf, KKM,
    http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_p...&cat=27&page=1
    and Storm Lake
    http://www.storm-lake.com/model_gl
    come to mind, and I am pretty sure there are others. My buddy has Lone Wolf in his G30 (not SF) and he shoots cast lead bullets through it with no difficulty or concern.

Yes, I have a Glock Model 30 SF and I love it. It is beautifully soft-shooting (softer to shoot to me than a G17 or a G19), accurate, and utterly reliable. The barrel is long enough that regular pressure JHP bullets will expand reliable. The G30SF happily accepts .45 ACP +P loads in addition to regular pressure loads.

I suggest either the CorBon 45 Auto 160gr DPX
    45 Auto 160gr DPX | COR®BON/Glaser Self Defense | Dakota Ammo

or the CorBon 45 Auto Plus P 185gr DPX
    45 Auto Plus P 185gr DPX | COR®BON/Glaser Self Defense | Dakota Ammo
    Last edited by marcclarke; November 20th, 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Add URLs for KKM and Storm Lake replacement barrels

KKM fan RIGHT HERE! No disrespect intended for Storm Lake, Lone Wolf, Jarvis, et al. But the men from Orem (Utah) are the benchmark against which ALL other aftermarket GLOCK barrels are compared. It's dang tough to find (even on the BS filled www) ANYONE who's ever been unhappy buying a KKM, including some of the most elite LEOs in the world.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I bought a standard G30 for duty use instead of the SF, only because CT does not make a laser grip for the SF version. I find myself carrying it on the weekends when clothing allows, in a Glock Sport/Combat OWB holster. Carries well, shoots well. High capacity and large caliber/heavy weight bullets. What's not to like?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I traded for a old (1988) G30 and really like it. Appears to have been carried a lot but rarely shot. Got it and two mags and box for $350.00. Pretty good deal.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am very happy with my purchase and may look at a Glock in 10mm for hiking where there are bears.
    While I am a devoted 10mm user, I would still wonder why you would bother? As far as I know all you'd need would be a new recoil spring to shoot 45 Super. When you consider too the fact that you can use G21 magazines, and even Kriss extensions, the G30 seems to have you covered.

Just got a 30sf about a month ago. Couldn't be happier.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I shoot 230 grain LRN reloads thru my G30 at every range session with no issues. I bought a Storm Lake barrel for the reloads, but it has occassional feed problems. Now I just use the OEM barrel.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Excellent pistol. I had one and sold it because it was too thick and heavy for my concealment needs. Loved the way it shot...smooth as butter.

Congratulations.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    Excellent pistol. I had one and sold it because it was too thick and heavy for my concealment needs. Loved the way it shot...smooth as butter.

Congratulations.
    Ditto. Great gun but not for me as it didn't fit my hands well. Easy to conceal though.

Links