10mm- Good and Unheralded...

This is a discussion on 10mm- Good and Unheralded... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a 10mm Witness back in December of last year. It shoots POA, doesn't jam, fits my hand, etc. Despite my pledge NEVER to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm- Good and Unheralded...

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

I got a 10mm Witness back in December of last year. It shoots POA, doesn't jam, fits my hand, etc.

Despite my pledge NEVER to sell any guns, ever again (owing to people who would take them away), I tried to sell it earlier this week to dredge up some spare cash with which to buy a rusty, beat up but functionally sweet old Remington 870 Wingmaster.

I've put a 18lb. recoil spring in it (they come with 14's, and they are bit weak for some of the more serious 10mm loads), a Hogue Wraparound and some other little things. I've babied it, too, very thoroughly cleaning it after buying it and after shooting it, re-oiling it, etc.

It sounds strange, but out of respect for the weapon, I didn't sell it. The doggoned thing just shoots too accurately and too reliably to be sold for the $ 150.00 I was offered. I tell you, it wasn't about the money- I ended up just chinning it and buying the shotgun outright, bills due be damned. I thought the Witness was a bargain in terms of what it will do for what I paid for it ($ 320.00?), and simply too much of a bargain for someone else to have for $ 200.00.

I guess it's such a bargain, I just can't afford to get rid of it!

I suppose people don't know much about them and that there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts for them, etc.

But mine's a damn fine pistol and I'm just going to hang onto it. I guess, (bad pun intended), I'm just going to stick to my guns.

I'm glad it has reinforced my "keep all guns" pledge. I have another reason to stick to it: value.

Start a new collection, Buy one each of every gun chambered for 10mm

Can I get a Witness, brothers & sisters?

My Dad's rule has always been "never get rid of a gun, unless your trading it for another gun". I changed it a little, my rule is, "only get rid of guns by trading them or selling them to use the money to buy other guns." Sounds like we're all pretty much of the same basic mindset in regards to this.

I never owned a witness but have visited a message board of dedicated witness owners, and they all seem very satisfied. Now after reading your post, I may have to buy one to find out for myself. That is, after I pick up that Wingmaster that i let you talk me into getting.

You've gotta stop this, your gonna send me to the poor house!
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

My mind my change, but right now my mindset is to never get rid of any guns I own. I'l either regret it, or my collection won't be near as complete :P
    Beretta 92FS

VIP Member
    Coincidentally enough, I had a Witness 10mm....and I traded it. It did malf a few times...attributable to a couple of bad mags. I purchased a Witness .38 Super which differs from my first witness in caliber and finish; the latter gun is in Wonderfinish, the former in blue.

I wish I did not trade away my Witness 10mm because while the "replacement" Witness is nice, accurate, and reliable....a .38 Super will never be mistaken for a 10mm.

So Randy....if you ever change your mind about your Witness, I would pay a fair price (more than $150 for sure) and give it a good home....but it sounds like it found one! Enjoy it!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I do not believe in the "never get rid of a gun" thing. I believe that we all have bought weapons that we wanted to dump for the cash or for another weapon.

When this has happened to me I try desperately to think of something(another application) that I can do with the weapon.

This is why I have a weapon in almost every room of the house and in both garages. Example: I have a older NEF single bbl. 10ga. I have a auto 10 for hunting so I was gonna sell the NEF. It would have brought $70-$90 at the most so I decided that I could use a garage/workshop weapon. I chucked the bbl in my buddies lathe and cut it down to 18" and recrowned. I also took the steel bar out if the stock and shortened to 13" LOP.

Now I have a, "while in the workshop and someone drives up the driveway until I can get to a pistol",weapon.

Hell ......... that's worth 70bucks. --------

In the past I've owned a couple of guns that I would sell to someone I didn't like. However now I try not to buy one that isn't what I really want. I don't own many at this time but I wont part with any that I have.

I have a delta, and a Glock 29 both 10MM. I've not owned a Witness, but do know that they are pretty reliable, either for hunting or carry purposes...The AMT Javalina 10MM (if you can ever find one) is VERY reliable..plus it has a longer BBL for hunting purposes..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

SergeantD:

Just don't tell your wife (if you have one) where you got the idea to spend all that money....I'd hate to have some lady from Florida I've never seen being out to get me!!

If you get a Witness, remember what srfl says: beware the magazines. It comes from the factory with only one, and it should be OK.

If you buy any additional ones, make sure they have a bright orange or red follower. Others will compromise reliability. Supposedly the ones with the red or orange followers are later production after some problems were cured with the other ones.

I knew about this particular wrinkle before I bought mine and made sure I got one of the more recently manufactured magazines.....

VIP Member
    My two bad mags were the 15-round mags with red followers...the only good one was a 10-round mag. The bad ones were were out of spec...both oversize at the top by a few-hundredths of an inch, but just enough to cause an fail-to-eject malf after discharging a round....basically, my Witness became a single-shot gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Speaking of 10mm, Are there any small 10mm guns other than the Glock 29?

Tanfoglio, who makes the Witness (imported by EAA) also makes a smaller version than the one I have. I think it has a 3" or 3 1/2" barrel.

I think it's called a Witness Compact.

Check out the link: http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witn...ompact-EI.html

srfl:

I stand corrected on that one. I had heard bad things about the magazines without the red or orange followers AND about the 15 (or 13?) rounders.

I have one that won't hold as many as it should, but both of mine feed fine.

I don't really know much about how you would go about testing one for function......buying and running 15 10mm snap caps might be troublesome, if you could get the owner to let you....

But I ain't backin' down....I think Witnesses are good pistols, especially considering what you get for the money. At least mine is....

Of course, everyone's mmv, which may be why they have spotty reputations and low resale value.

Don't worry about my wife Randy, she blames everything on me, so you're in the clear. lol....

I really like the looks of that compact model. I wouldn't mind trying one in .40.

We'll see.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I have a Glock-29 in 10mm and i am very happy with it . To me,it is the perfect pistol for concealed carry/ personal defense. And best of all.... my wife bought it for me. She thought i would like it and gave it to me as a gift.Ohhh i am a lucky man . I got a wife that does'nt get mad if i go and buy some guns,she even goes and buys them for me every now and then.Life is good.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links