House Gun.

This is a discussion on House Gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BugDude A .45 ACP hollowpoint out of a 3" barrel versus a long barrel rifle that will drop a deer from 200 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: House Gun.

Re: House Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    A .45 ACP hollowpoint out of a 3" barrel versus a long barrel rifle that will drop a deer from 200 yards....I'll leave the experiment to you to conduct, but shooting inside of a home with I'll take my chances with a handgun round.
    I don't have to, the facts are out there and proven.

Distance traveled means nothing, it's what happens when it meets the target that matters. An AR excels over handguns and shotguns in this arena, that's just a fact.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

2. Remove Ads

A .45 ACP hollowpoint out of a 3" barrel versus a long barrel rifle that will drop a deer from 200 yards....I'll leave the experiment to you to conduct, but shooting inside of a home with I'll take my chances with a handgun round.
    Yes, indeed--a heavy, thick-jacketed .45 acp that will punch through walls (and not expand--remember, hollowpoints don't expand unless they hit something noncompressible--that is, a liquid) vs a light weight, high-speed, thin jacketed bullet that starts coming apart at first impact...the .45 SD load will out penetrate a .223 SD load any day.

Think about it.

Back on track--my primary HD pistol is a Glock 34...however, the secondary is a 11.5" AR pistol.

And the suggestions of a good revolver are excellent ones as well.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

This is the link to the results of rifle vs shotgun testing:

The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 4

Previously, they also tested various pistol rounds, and they also penetrated the equivalent of 4 interior walls.

Bottom line is that anything that will reach the vitals on a BG will also go through multiple interior walls. Perhaps using some exotic ammo might change that, but I would not rely on that anyway, as bullets do not always perform as advertised.

In any case, this is all a moot point, as the OP already stated his wife has no interest in using a long gun.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; November 22nd, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: grammar
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I'm still not firing a rifle in my home. A pistol can be operated with one hand and more easily maneuvered. Just my preference.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'm still not firing a rifle in my home. A pistol can be operated with one hand and more easily maneuvered. Just my preference.
    Agree on those points. Only use I have for a long gun indoors is to cover the door, once we are all in the safe room.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

OP,
    Your original post asked for thoughts on the S&W SD 9/40 VE pistols. I bought one of these recently in .40 and couldn't be happier. I've put approximately 280 rounds through it so far without a single problem at all, and that included several common brands of FMJ ammo and a magazine full of Ranger-T defense ammo. So far, everything I've fired is 180g bullet weight. All rounds were fired in a single range session, and I was still in one piece at the end, able to continue if necessary (but I WAS ready to give it a rest by then, too).

Tomorrow I'm going to buy my daughter's fiance one, so he'll have a home defense handgun when they marry next month. She already has a 2" and a 4" J-frame in .38 S&W :-)

The trigger on the SD/VE series is S&W's "Self-Defense Trigger." It's rather long and mushy, but perfectly suited IMO for the mission of HD. For quite some time now, I've kept a DA revolver on the nightstand to check out "bumps in the night," as well as a 1911 with multiple magazines for firepower and redundancy if needed. Since the SD40VE checked out so well, it has taken the revolver's place, because its trigger is essentially the equivalent of a DA revolver's--not as smooth, but similar length & weight of pull. I'm quite comfortable moving thru the house with a round chambered, no safety catch, but a consistent DA-equivalent pull necessary to fire the weapon.

Think of it as a DAO revolver with a hi-cap magazine. In my eyes, it's a great option for SD or HD.

Thanks for the responses.

The Smith and Wesson SD/VE is a value line. While they are considered reliable, they are still a second tier line of value guns in my opinion. Save up another $100 and get a better gun.

My advice, is to buy a Glock 19, Springfield XD, or Smith and Wesson M&P or other similar style duty handgun in 9mm. If she doesn't train with the semi auto or thinks it is too complicated, than get her a 4" revolver model 10 or similar.

the whole point of a pistol is to be carried all day if you dont have to carry all day and its just for home get a shotgun or rifle i know exactly where my family is positioned throughout the house, so over penetration isnt an issue id rather take a chance at wounding or killing a neighbor from over penetration if it gives my family 0.00000001% increased chances of staying alive and you are not going to always get a clear shot while hps and shotgun shells can be defeated by walls beds couches and tables an ak glides through like it was never there

Fellas, with all due respect, open a new thread if you want to argue why long guns are/aren't best, why other pistols are your choice, or why/how a guy should go about convincing his wife to do something she won't do.

The OP asked a simple question about what people thought about two specific guns, and indicated clearly that he prefers to leave the long gun idea out of this discussion. Can we or can we not give him factual input about the two pistols he wanted to know about? Only a couple of people have done that, yet we have three pages of arguments about other stuff.

Nobody died and appointed me king or anything, but this thread has suffered some "hellified" drift.
    Kilowatt3 and Landric like this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I have no intention of trying to clear my house. The way my house is laid out I can cover the front,rear and side entrances from just inside my bedroom door. I leave a light[ low wattage] on in the family room[ side entrance] which I can see from my bedroom. While low in wattage it disrupts someone "night eyes" just enough.I am invisible to anyone who would break in at this side of the house [ I checked lol] so I stay put[ crouched down] .45[g30] in hand I can see them clearly but they can't see me. Same for the front and rear doors. No kids at home. Wife dials 911 then grabs the 1911.We talk about/practice this about three time a year." I'm doing this, You're doing that" She's familair enough with the 1911 so I don't worry. We go to the range about once a month[ ammo's expensive ]

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaMan View Post
    Fellas, with all due respect, open a new thread if you want to argue why long guns are/aren't best, why other pistols are your choice, or why/how a guy should go about convincing his wife to do something she won't do.

The OP asked a simple question about what people thought about two specific guns, and indicated clearly that he prefers to leave the long gun idea out of this discussion. Can we or can we not give him factual input about the two pistols he wanted to know about? Only a couple of people have done that, yet we have three pages of arguments about other stuff.

Nobody died and appointed me king or anything, but this thread has suffered some "hellified" drift.
    ^^^ Yep.

Of 40 responses to this thread, I believe there were six that addressed the OP's question AT ALL.

BTW - Of the two, I'd favor the Sig, but the S&W wouldn't be bad, either. Might look at an M&P, too. (There - I'm on topic! )

Regards,
    Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links