What's the correct revolver cylinder closing procedure?

This is a discussion on What's the correct revolver cylinder closing procedure? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any revolver fired enough is going to develop a cylinder line so I don't worry about it....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: What's the correct revolver cylinder closing procedure?

Any revolver fired enough is going to develop a cylinder line so I don't worry about it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Whatever you do don't use the "one-handed-sling-it-shut" method like you see on TV.
    The "one-handed-sling-it-shut" method should then be followed by the barrel smoke blow and then the triple spin and holster.
    DRM and scgunlover1 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

It's not good practice to sling shut a cylinder. It may not be readily noticeable, but it can loosen the crane, and cause timing issues.

The correct way to shut the cylinder is simply to press it into the frame until it locks, and turn the cylinder until it locks in place.
    The scoring ring will happen regardless.
    shockwave likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I was always under the impression that with a perfectly tuned revolver the cylinder stop will not make contact with the cylinder until properly indexed; therefore, no drag marks. Having said that, I've seen darn few that didn't have them. I always attributed this to less hand fitting.

A cylinder line is part of the deal with a "usin'" revolver and there's no avoiding it. Here's a 41 year old revolver with perhaps 60K rounds through it to date. Today's been nice so I've been to the range to play with a couple of rifles and also put a quick box of ammo through this revolver. Just about to clean everything up.

Yep, a drag mark.

There's been no slinging it shut over the years though except in its early days when an occasional nitwit friend tried it. They were quickly schooled.

Thumb pressure and a quick index become second nature.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

With revolver held cupped in left hand, cylinder held between thumb and middle and ring fingers (fingers are through frame window), the cylinder is "rolled" back into the frame and rotated to lock. YMMV.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    I never thought twice about it. Had my Smith on me today so I had to pull it out and try it to see what I do. I just close it and rotate the wheel.

1) Pull hammer back, with thumb, to second notch
    2) Open loading gate
    3) Insert first cartridge (45LC of course)
    4) Rotate past first open cylinder chamber
    5) Load next cartridge
    6) Rotate cylinder to next open chamber
    7) Load next cartridge
    Repeat steps 6 & 7 twice more
    8) Close loading gate
    9) With revolver pointed in safe direction, place thumb firmly on hammer, squeeze trigger, pull hammer back fully, and lower hammer to first notch.
    Now you are ready to go.

See how easy it is!!!!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Push shut and rotate with thumb. The drag line is a part of modern double action revolver design and has absolutely nothing to do with timing or fitting.

Administrator
    The only way to minimize that turn line on the revolver cylinder is to mirror polish the top of the arc on the face of the cylinder stop and to barely radius those edges but, that needs to be done ever so carefully.
    The best and safest way for an amateur to do that is to just strop that contact surface on a bit of leather charged with fine red jewelers rouge. It takes longer doing it that way but, at least you won't remove any critical amount of metal.

Really...I wouldn't worry about it though. It's an honest and expected wear mark.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It ain't a revolver unless it has a cylinder line.......
    -- Paladin
    shockwave and scgunlover1 like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    Gee, I have been using the 'flick' method for over 50 years without problem and had those revolvers at the range last week with better accuracy than my newer 9mm pistols.
    Not a good idea at all, to close a revolver "hollywood" style. (not a good idea to learn about firearms from movies) Just because it didn't damage anything, doesn't make it good practice. Besides possible damage to your gun, it teaches newbies to learn bad habit, and its just not the way to safely or professionally handle a firearm. In many cases it will be more likely to damage heavier revolvers than some of the lighter ones, but as I said, damage or not, its not good practice and there is no need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    The "one-handed-sling-it-shut" method should then be followed by the barrel smoke blow and then the triple spin and holster.
    Many times, the "sling it shut" method is followed by: "Give me that gun back, you've just proven you don't know how to handle it" and if they're lucky they won't get cuffed in the back of the head for being so reckless with a firearm.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    You've seen the consensus: press it closed and index to click.

Given the ruggedness of most revolvers, you probably can "flip-and-click" and be ready to go. In an emergency reload situation, well, watch Mas Ayoob here: 037 Massad Ayoob Demonstrates how to Reload the Revolver with the Bianchi "Speed Strip" - YouTube
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Thumb push/thumb turn...pretty simple.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links