What's the correct revolver cylinder closing procedure?

This is a discussion on What's the correct revolver cylinder closing procedure? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Assuming there is one. I should note I'm referring specifically to the S&W 642/442 J-Frames, although I'm sure any procedure would apply to most revolvers. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: What's the correct revolver cylinder closing procedure?

Assuming there is one. I should note I'm referring specifically to the S&W 642/442 J-Frames, although I'm sure any procedure would apply to most revolvers.

I'm wondering if the cylinder pockets/grooves should be lined up with the bolt as close as possible when closing the cylinder to minimize or prevent turn line? Also, after the cylinder is latched closed, should it then be manually rotated until the bolt fits into the pocket?

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    On my S&W revolvers, it's just been a flick of the wrist for the last 50 years or so. My other revolvers need pulling or pushing something. As long as the hammer isn't cocked or the trigger pulled, they are relatively safe. I don't think the cylinder can even be closed on an unsafe gun.

Sponsor

Exclamation

Whatever you do don't use the "one-handed-sling-it-shut" method like you see on TV. That's where you hold the gun with the shooting hand an "flick it" to shut and close the cylinder. That will eventually bend the crane and mess up the alignment.

Rotating the cylinder until it clicks and stops won't hurt anything and should be done.
    msgt/ret, OD*, pgrass101 and 10 others like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Whatever you do don't use the "one-handed-sling-it-shut" method like you see on TV. That's where you hold the gun with the shooting hand an "flick it" to shut and close the cylinder. That will eventually bend the crane and mess up the alignment.

Rotating the cylinder until it clicks and stops won't hurt anything and should be done.
    Gee, I have been using the 'flick' method for over 50 years without problem and had those revolvers at the range last week with better accuracy than my newer 9mm pistols.
    Eagleks likes this.

I line the cylinder up with the barrel and push it shut. I don't mistreat my weapons.
    shockwave likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    On the one revolver I owned that the cylinder opened, I closed it with my weak hand and spun the cylinder with my thumb until it latched.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

BKCo1..............................+1.

Close my Model 36 the same way for 37 yrs.......but I do check the cylinder rotation always to ensure it's in gear and ready to BARK if needed..
    Eagleks likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    closing the cylinder with a chamber in line for lock up can help reduce turn lines....if that matters to ya.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I always press the cylinder slightly forward of center so that even pressure is applied to the rear and front latching mechanisms and then index by hand. Some folks are far more concerned about marks on their cylinder so they'll index the gun by cocking it, and lowering the hammer, but I haven't seen a need for that yet.

Senior Moderator
    I generally close the cylinder with the thumb/palm of my weak hand turning the cylinder slightly so that it locks into place
    BugDude likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post

Only in Hollywood.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I close it and then roll it with my thumb to make sure it is in place on my .38 special
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    Close it with the off hand, then rotate it til it locks in place.

The one hand flick is cool and it may never mess up your gun, but it has been known to. I personally don't use it as I don't need to find out the timing of my revolver is off when I need it - badly.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    When it will bend the crane is if you have one cartridge slightly out of battery and it catches on the recoil shield. The momentum is still carrying the cylinder and the crane is the weakest link! DR

Overthinking!!!

The best thing about a revolver is its simplicity! In the heat of battle, when your fine motor skills leave and you have to rely on gross motor skills, you push the cylinder closed, then point and shoot!!

May as well practice it that way too!
    Eagleks likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links