Taurus 38 revolver vs keltec pf9

This is a discussion on Taurus 38 revolver vs keltec pf9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question which would be preferred ccw. I understand the Keltec super small and the Taurus point shoot. The one thing the Taurus ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus 38 revolver vs keltec pf9

I have a question which would be preferred ccw. I understand the Keltec super small and the Taurus point shoot. The one thing the Taurus is 85 38 DAO with crimson laser. I own it but am looking at the Keltec because of size.

IMO the snubbie is better for pocket while the PF9 is better for IWB. The next person will write exactly the opposite. Just go handle them both and see which you prefer.

I like the feel of the 38 but am having issue carrying it. When pocket carry sitting down you can see the butt of the gun. Any old ideas on carry.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdoc1017 View Post
    I like the feel of the 38 but am having issue carrying it. When pocket carry sitting down you can see the butt of the gun. Any old ideas on carry.

For a cheap $10-20 you can try taking one or 2 pairs of pants to a tailor and having them install deeper pockets and see if you like it. I hope this helps. God Bless
    bunker likes this.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    IMO the snubbie is better for pocket while the PF9 is better for IWB. The next person will write exactly the opposite. Just go handle them both and see which you prefer.
    i would dissagree
    While id take a taurus revolver over that POS PF9 anyday of the week,I ccw IWB my snubbie (airweight) almost every day
    and its less intrusive than you would ever guess.....with the right holster anything is possible,mines a Kusiak and it plain rocks
    and is just as if im carrying my PM9 (a real small 9MM)

Might need a better holster.

VIP Member
    I prefer the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. I have several and the one for my J frame just makes it disapper. All day comfort as well.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I owned a keltec 9mm years ago, nothing but problems.. Id take revolver unless they improved the gun (keltec).. Cargo pants , plain ol cargo, doesnt have to be cammo.. hides my G 27 when I dont have it on holster, I use pocket holster in cargo pouch. however if I m going to a bank to cash check I like to have the 27 ready on hip incase of emergency, retention of course

VIP Member
    Really comparing apples to oranges. Each has their place, it's basically which fills your need at the time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

obviously, it would be cheaper to find a better holster than another pistol. That being said, most people find the revolver is easier to pocket carry than the PF9. I have a S&W snub and a PF9 and would much rather carry the Kel-Tec inside the waist.

Neither would be my first choice. However, when it comes to carry, I think reliability is one of the major, if not the most important, considerations. Between the two that you name, I would opt for the Taurus 85. It is decently constructed, has reasonable accuracy at short distances, is not difficult to conceal, and there is no reason it should not go "bang" every time you pull the trigger.

Of course if your heart is set on a Keltec, get one, try it out for an extended period, and if it doesn't end up satisfying your needs, sell it and go back to the Taurus.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdoc1017 View Post
    I use a Wild Bill's Pistol Packer Premium for carrying my snub in a pocket. The snap-detachable flap hides the bumps and bulges of the snub, making it look like you're carrying a wallet in your pocket. You still need deep enough pockets, but all my Dockers, 5.11s and similar are plenty deep.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Nothing wrong with a good .38 Taurus revolvers have proven to do the job. If you really want a 9mm there are better options.

Neither would be my first choice for CCW but if those were my two options I'd go for the revolver and whatever isn't a Kel Tec every day.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have the pf9 its a good carry gun. Bought my wife a Taurus tcp 380 it's a nice gun for the price I love that little gun and it's smaller than the pf9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links