.22 Magnum vs 5.7 x28mm

.22 Magnum vs 5.7 x28mm

This is a discussion on .22 Magnum vs 5.7 x28mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since the gun for 5.7 x 28mmc FN FiveSeveN is way more expensive than any in.22 Mag, does the difference in speed between the two ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By IAm_Not_Lost
  • 1 Post By swmp9jrm

Thread: .22 Magnum vs 5.7 x28mm

.22 Magnum vs 5.7 x28mm

Since the gun for 5.7 x 28mmc FN FiveSeveN is way more expensive than any in.22 Mag, does the difference in speed between the two rounds justify the added expense?

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Depends on what you are looking to do with it. The 5.7 gives added reliability in the areas of feeding and centerfire ignition, and the the 5.7x28 out of a handgun is about the same velocity of a .22 magnum from a rifle. My point is; if you're searching for an afternoon plinker or varmint control then go with .22 magnum, but if you're buying this gun with hopes of using it for self defense then I would opt for the 5.7.

If you are looking for someone to tell you which round is more lethal then I can't help you, but my guess would be the 5.7. You might then ask, is the 5.7 lethal enough....?
    onacoma and oneshot like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Thanks to everyone that has protected my rights to post here and say what is on my mind.

ON to the subject mentioned above! Lethal, as listed in Websters dictionary, says " causes death"!

Lethal enough? There are probably people that might want to try to measure that state, but Dead is Dead.

JMTCW!

Eh...skip both and get a .22 TCM.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpagus View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Thanks to everyone that has protected my rights to post here and say what is on my mind.

ON to the subject mentioned above! Lethal, as listed in Websters dictionary, says " causes death"!

Lethal enough? There are probably people that might want to try to measure that state, but Dead is Dead.

JMTCW!
    The term lethal can be used to describe more than just death, it also defines potency, effectiveness, and capability to cause death . Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Go Pats!
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

5.7 is a joke, if you're looking for a SD in a handgun buy a service auto or 357 revolver, leave the 5.7's to the mall folks.

I think you ought to ask the families of the 13 killed and 29 wounded at Ft. Hood whether the 5.7 is a joke. Seemed rather 'lethal' to me.
    onacoma likes this.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Based on your hand grip condition, if you can handle the 5.7mm I would to go with that pistol. JMHO

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Links