Glock 19; glock 19 mag vs glock 17 mag to carry - Page 2

Glock 19; glock 19 mag vs glock 17 mag to carry

This is a discussion on Glock 19; glock 19 mag vs glock 17 mag to carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All my spare mags for my 19's are 17 size just find a bigger mag easier to manipulate when conducting a reload....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Glock 19; glock 19 mag vs glock 17 mag to carry

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    All my spare mags for my 19's are 17 size just find a bigger mag easier to manipulate when conducting a reload.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by BanannaHead View Post
    Hey Guys!

My first post. I joined to gain real advice.

I have a glock 19. Ordering a raven holster, and double mag holster.

I have the option to carry in 2 setups:

glock 19 plus 3 mags

or

glock 19 + 1 glock 19 mag and 2 x glock 17 mags.

is it worth it carrying glock 17 mags to gain the extra rounds?

Are there any issues with doing so that I have not predicted?

I am only worried that I could forget I have extra ammo, since the my first one is 15 rounds only. But more ammo is good? right? lol. Will it be a comfort issue? grip issue?

thank you for your advice!
    If you run through all your magazines in a civilian gun fight, then you're either a terrible shot, or you're in a situation that, well, I'm not even sure I have words for. That's not saying you SHOULDN'T carry extra mags. I always carry a spare. With my G19, I carry a standard 15 round with one in the chamber and another 15 round mag with a +2 extension. 33 rounds total.

But one major thing is, I can guarantee, that if you're in a gun fight firing over 30 rounds with reloads mixed in, you're not going to be counting rounds. You're not going to forget your extra two rounds in the 17 round mag. You're going to pull that trigger until it doesn't go bang anymore.

The amount of mags you carry comfortably is all dependent of you. If you could comfortably carry 10 spare mags, do it. I pray you'd never need to run through 151 rounds in a self defensive situation :D I think the 3 you want to carry is good enough :)

I usually carry a G19 15+1 and a spare G17 Mag. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't already have G17 mags but the extra rounds don't hurt and the extra length makes it easier to handle and seat the mag. The only realy downside is they are a bit longer so they might print more, but it is not a huge difference and shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    For casual carry, I prefer a G19 with a G19 mag in the gun (so it won't print). For back up (reloads) I use G17 mags.

For more serious stuff I'll use the 31 round mags as backup mags. And at the very least I'll have them in the doors of my vehicle at any given time.
    What's your trunk gun?
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2700 View Post
    What's your trunk gun?
    Today it's an 870. But then, it is deer season here.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

I've been in law enforcement for going on 10 years now. I carry one extra 15 round magazine when off duty. I can’t think of any scenarios where you would need more than 31 rounds for civilian carry.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    I've been in law enforcement for going on 10 years now. I carry one extra 15 round magazine when off duty. I can’t think of any scenarios where you would need more than 31 rounds for civilian carry.
    Zombies? Duh

Whether I'm carrying my Ruger SR9c or my Walther PPQ, I carry a spare 17rd mag. I carry the spare for failure coverage, but I figure I may as well have extra rounds on tap. Rounds beyond that live in my EDC bag, which doubles as a go bag. I'm not expecting anything ridiculous (in fact, I expect to never need a "go bag", or the extra rounds), but I never thought I'd need to defend myself with a knife, or use a fire extinguisher, either.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    Mumbai style attack. Not saying that a guy with a lonely pistol would have been able to do anything, but having a 2nd spare magazine for something like that couldn't hurt!

I can only think of two cases in which having to much ammo is a bad thing! If I was drowning or if I was on Fire!
    DRM likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I would have just bought the Glock 17.

Go for it! I carry a similar setup. I keep a G19 mag in the gun and use Glock 17 mags with factory +2 extensions as reloads (using 11 coil magazine springs). Using the bigger mags gives me more rounds, helps me from pinching my hand meat during fast reloads, and they are easier to grab. I see no downsides to using them.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisFred View Post
    I would have just bought the Glock 17.
    I did...

And then chopped the grip off to G19 length. It carries IWB in the appendix position quite well with the longer slide. It balances nicely and behaves well, too.

g17 Grip Chop.jpg
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    O use to own a G-26 and I could only put 3 fingers on the grip so I wasn't comfortable so I invested in a grip extension that came out to be identical size of a G-19
    with the round capacity of g-17. I've owned my glock 17 going on a decade and if I were to buy another bottom feeder it would be a G34.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links