Glock 19; glock 19 mag vs glock 17 mag to carry

This is a discussion on Glock 19; glock 19 mag vs glock 17 mag to carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys! My first post. I joined to gain real advice. I have a glock 19. Ordering a raven holster, and double mag holster. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Glock 19; glock 19 mag vs glock 17 mag to carry

Hey Guys!

My first post. I joined to gain real advice.

I have a glock 19. Ordering a raven holster, and double mag holster.

I have the option to carry in 2 setups:

glock 19 plus 3 mags

or

glock 19 + 1 glock 19 mag and 2 x glock 17 mags.

is it worth it carrying glock 17 mags to gain the extra rounds?

Are there any issues with doing so that I have not predicted?

I am only worried that I could forget I have extra ammo, since the my first one is 15 rounds only. But more ammo is good? right? lol. Will it be a comfort issue? grip issue?

thank you for your advice!

The bigger question is, do you already have G17 mags or would you have to buy them? If you do have them, carry them, if not, just carry your 19 mags. I'm not going to comment on if you need to carry 2 extra mags. That is totally your choice. As far as a comfort issue, that will vary from person to person.

Welcome to the site!

VIP Member
    It's totally up to you. The G17 mags will work in the G19 just fine. I always carry at least 1 extra mag for my G30. Sometimes it is another G30 mag (more comfortable) and sometimes it is a G21 mag (more ammo). Do the threat eval and carry accordingly.

Welcome to the fold.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I must tell you to make sure you are comfortable with firing a g19 with a 17 mag. When I form my grip on the 19 some fingers drape over the bottom of the mag. I do not have overly large hands but that is where my grip is natural and how I shoot. I would not have my normal grip with a 17 mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Sponsor
    For casual carry, I prefer a G19 with a G19 mag in the gun (so it won't print). For back up (reloads) I use G17 mags.

For more serious stuff I'll use the 31 round mags as backup mags. And at the very least I'll have them in the doors of my vehicle at any given time.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

I tend to be of the opinion that if you are going to carry extra mags, they might as well hold the most ammo possible. I would opt for the G17 mags, most likely. Also, they make mag extenders so that you Glock mags hold 2 more rounds. This would mean each G19 mag would hold 17, and each G17 mag would hold 19... just a thought.
    DRM and GunTrooper like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I've thought about this in the past, but just never got around to getting a few G17 mags; I always wind up buying the G19 mags without thinking about it too miuch. I wouldn't mind a few G17 mags, but it's not a priority. I only carry one extra, so it's 33 rounds V. 31 for me.

I could see a bigger case for carrying G17 or 19 mags as reloads for a G26. 10 V. 15 seems like a bigger deal than 15 V. 17 to me.

If you have G17 mags and they don't bother you any on the belt then carry 'em. It's not like the extra four rounds is going to weigh you down.

I carry 17/34 mags as spares because thats what I spend the most time practicing with, primarily USPSA. A shorter or longer mag is not as reloadable for me, whether shooting a 19 or 17/34. For nightstand or non carry apps, a Dawson base pad is the knutz.

I like the G17 mags because it's slightly easier to pull them out of the mag carrier in a hurry. I can get a better grip on the larger mag.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I use my G21 13-rd mag in my G30 for HD use, not carry. The question of how many rounds one needs is nebulous: If you have ten rounds and run out, you needed more; if you have 20 rounds and run out, you needed more; if you have 100 rounds and run out, you needed more. One mag, two mags, three. . . ? How many is enough? Are you defending yourself or holding off the hordes until the calvary rides over the hill? And the answer is . . .
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I currently own a G19; G19 trimmed to G26 length; and a G26. The latter two are my usual EDC's.

I have over 35 Glock 9mm magazines, with the majority of them being 17 or 17+2 and these are what I normally carry for spares (I also carry a few 33-round mags in the vehicle or car bag).

Besides the extra capacity, I find the larger mags easier to handle and seat under stress.

Re: Glock 19; glock 19 mag vs glock 17 mag to carry

I carry a 19 mag in my 19 and a 17 mag as a spare. The 19 mag being a touch shorter makes concealment a bit easier.

sent via iCarry

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I must tell you to make sure you are comfortable with firing a g19 with a 17 mag. When I form my grip on the 19 some fingers drape over the bottom of the mag. I do not have overly large hands but that is where my grip is natural and how I shoot. I would not have my normal grip with a 17 mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are several companies that make "fillers or grip extenders" to fill the void between the the bottom of the grip frame and the bottom of the longer mags (have seen them fro GLOCK, DX, and S&W M&P)

I have a G19 and usually carry G17 mags with the grip extenders....

Amazon.com: Ag Products Grip Extender For Glock 29 30 High Impact Polymer Collar Helps Center Mag: Sports & Outdoors

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Greetings and welcome to the site. Sorry, I can't answer your question...not a Glock guy.

I carry a G22 mag or two with +2 extended base plates for my G23, but like to carry the gun with the standard G23 mag in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links