Smith & Wesson 915

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson 915 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at a S & W 915 pistol, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these weapons....

Thread: Smith & Wesson 915

Smith & Wesson 915

I'm looking at a S & W 915 pistol, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these weapons.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No, but all my reasearch on S&W pistols, (I have a 39-2, a 6904, HAD a 6906, and an M&P .357 sigcompact.)
    leads me to believe they are a very first rate older pistol.
    If you find one in great shape, it should last a lifetime.

Opinions on S&W 915

thoughts on this handgn? - S&W Mod 915 - Shooting Sports Forum

915 range report

P S,
    Welcome to DC!! From Michigan!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I use to have one and they are awesome. They are a nice gun for small money.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Don't have specific experience with the 915 but have plenty of experience with 3rd Gen S&W centerfire autoloaders. They are (IMHO) among the most over-looked, under-valved handguns on the market. If you don't believe me, go find a NLS 3913 and happily carry it....forever.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Get it and you will love it. I have his close cousin 908 and it is my favorite carry. It is accurate and reliable and I will not part with it:

915 slide assembly

I've owned a 915 for about 10 years. I've probably put 1000-1400 rounds through it with only one problem EVER. It was a round that partially fed and became stuck. Someone more knowledgable than me suggested that it might have been caused by insufficient lubrication after cleaning. Anyway, I'd call it an amazingly reliable gun.

I do have a big gripe about slide removal and assembly. It can be somewhat tricky to get the slide release out and reinserted and it is a very serious pain in the ***** to depress the various components near the hammer in order to reattach the slide. Other guns I've shot since are so much easier to work with.

As for accuracy, I am a relatively good shot. I routinely achieve a 2" grouping at 10 yards. Yesterday, I got this result with both the 915 and a 4th gen Glock 17. Virtually no difference in accuracy for me, but I've never fired from a bench rest.

Links