Disappointed in MK9

This is a discussion on Disappointed in MK9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am im the same boat. I love the little kahrs and I bought a PM40 when my local shop had a reasonably priced used ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disappointed in MK9

I am im the same boat. I love the little kahrs and I bought a PM40 when my local shop had a reasonably priced used one. 1st 150 rounds I had about 1-2 FTFs every mag. Keep in mind the mags only hold 5 and 6 rounds. Sent it back to the factory. They told me 1 to 2 weeks at most. Well it took 2 1/2 months and for a while they couldn't even find it. Needless to say I am not impressed with their customer service. Still had a few FTFs on occasion. Sold it to a friend at a $100 loss. He likes it and its been 100% for him. Guess I broke it in for him. He's a TX State Trooper and carries it when off duty.

Some things I liked about it were the sights and the trigger. The trigger was wide, smooth, and light. And I shoot better with the Sig style Dot-Post sights.

2. Remove Ads

Have never seen the steel framed models cause problems,and my T-9 is just about the prefect carry piece..But the poly's every one I have had went way beyond the stated break in pierod..Took 800 rounds to get the last Pm9 going full tilt boogie

My PM9 has been very reliable. Only 2 FTF/FTE in about 2000 rounds.

Thanks to everyone for all of your thoughts and feedback. Many of you addressed the very question(s) I had in mind, tinker with it? send it back? or dump it for a loss. I am inclined to sell it as I don't think I will be able to fully trust it for self-defense. Also, I'm thinking I should cut my losses now rather than putting money into sending it back etc. etc. I guess I'm inpatient, or my expectations are too high. I just feel that if you pay a good buck for a good, brand name gun, it should work out of the box. I expect my computer, phone, car, TV, etc. to do so, yet many (esp. smaller) auto pistols have tried have been less than reliable. I've had great luck with Glocks and from what everyone else says the Sigs are great.

My range used to sell Kahrs and to me the metal ones were almost trouble free. However, the poly ones did not have such a good track record. I liked the K-40 so much, that I bought one and carried it at the range for a few years before switching to a 4513TSW. IMO, if you have a firearms that is not reliable-send it back to the factory or trade it for one that is. You might do some tinkering that gets it going now but there's always the feeling that maybe the next round is going to jam. Not a very nice feeling.

I forget where I read this, but I think the micro Kahrs (MK9/40, PM9/40) have 2 recoil springs and at the end of the chambering stroke, only one spring is still pushing. As a result, any ammo that is the least bit snug will stop the slide before the gun goes fully into battery. If you go up to the K9/40, CW9/40, this issue goes away.

Again, I'm not 100% sure about this. Someone confirm, please??
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

I don't know about the spring issue but I do know that the store you bought it from should mail it back for free. And Kahr will fix it and mail it back for free.

I have an MK9 Elite 03. So far, I have over 600 rounds through it with only a FTE on the 8th round. All Remington, WWB, and Hydra-Shok. I like it. It shoots nice and carries great.

That being said, I would recommend a few things. First, I would say to try some different ammo. I'm not sure what you are using, but as I said, I've used WWB and Remington with no problems. I'm going to try the heavy WWB HP ammo in the near future. That would be your cheapest way to go. If you still find it unreliable, I can understand you dumping it. I just cant trust an unreliable firearm. If it's ammo related and just does not like a certain type, I can work around that, but it has to be 100% on my carry ammo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links