Defensive Carry banner

Disappointed in MK9

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Seabee 
#1 ·
Well it's my second trip to the range with my new Kahr MK9. I've fired 238 rounds through it, using 3 types of FMJ. Had 15 FTF in all with 10 in the last 100 shots. The FTF happened with both mags. I know it's just past the break in, but I am disappointed. I also shot my new Glock 19, 150 rounds, it was 100%. In fact, all 3 of my Glocks are 100%. That little Kahr cost me$600.00!

#3 ·
i had a KKM barrel for a glock 27 that would not go into full battery with reloads. i would shoot 10 to 20 rounds then the gun would not go into full battery (ftf). junk/crud in the chamber was stopping the round going into full seat/battery. i did not have this problem with factory ammo, just reloads, no matter how i seated the bullett/crimped/etc..!!

so it must be some junk in the chamber so the round can not fully seat. go back to the range with your cleaning kit. shoot the gun, when you get your first FTF, break the gun down and give it a good cleaning. clean the barrel only. repeat... repeat>>>

if it keeps on doing the ftf, then polish the inside of the chamber, hood, and the ramp of the barrel. this is what i had to do to get my barrel to work with reloads. get the power tools, a hand job with not work, get a good polish compound at your local home depot. you want to take off a small amount of metal, not much and it will also look so good, and feed much better (just like your glock).

it this does not work then the next step is to check your rails. you state that both mags have this problem, so i don't think it is the mags (you could get a third mag to see/check). it is always good to have more than two mags for each gun.

#4 ·
Unfortunatly, the Karh Mk9s have had a bad history of magazine problems.. (see a lot of it at the Store) It's general FTF problems......using all types of ammo. If you send it back to Kahr, they'll replace the mags and probably do a little tweeking to the feed ramp as well. Either that, or bring the gun back, especially if it's been within a wee, tothe dealer, and state your problems with it, and ask for a credit for another gun.. (if he's understanding, and you don't show an attitude, he will most likly give you credit or send the gun back for repair. (personally, I think of another gun, maybe a polimer frame kahr)

#5 ·
Falsemap, based on what you experienced, I recommend that you simply stick with Glocks in the future. They get their share of ridicule, but they perform right out of the box.

#6 ·
I've had similar problems with sub 4 inch 1911s. I hate to say this, but my advice to you is to get rid of it. If it was me...well it WAS me. When I was in your shoes, I had a very hard time trusting the gun to operate correctly to protect me and mine. It's GOT to work first time EVERY time right out of the box. Every gun that I carry for self defense has to be 100% when the chips are down. The odds that I'll ever have to actually draw in a hostile situation, are astronomical, I know. Regardless, I place such a value on the life of my family. Imagine the regard I have for my dedicated home defense gun. I went out and bought a H&K USP 45 fullsize on the suggestion of my best friend. He's a retired SF Officer (LTC - 05) and he said that hands down if he had to take a gun to combat straight from the box....without cleaning or lube...it's that one.

So I decide to test the assertion: I resolved to shoot the gun straight from the box without any lube or cleaning until the first jam....either FTF or FTE. So I shoot and shoot and......shoot. Two THOUSAND rounds later it's still humming like a champ. I HAD to clean her out of sheer respect. Still it's a BIG gun and difficult to carry in south Florida CCW so I hung a gunlight on her and now she rests comfortably underneath my pillow in a place of ultimate respect: The sure and certain protection of my family. Get rid of the Kahr.

#7 ·
come on ex......dont be bitter.....some guns just need more loving.....lmao....jk. I would say either talk to the gun dealer and see what he has to say and maybe he will send it in for repairs for free if not then trade it. Just like ANY gun maker out there some are duds. Just going to happen. as for the mag probs.....couldnt tell ya i dont have a micro...just the cw model.

#8 ·
Just like ANY gun maker out there some are duds. Just going to happen.
You ever hear of a dud Glock? Or a dud H&K? I haven't. In such a case, I might send it back to the factory...but I wouldn't carry it again. Make it a truck or a tacklebox gun or somethin,' I guess. But it'd never be my primary carry piece. I couldn't trust it ever again.:tumbleweed: :nono: :9:

#9 ·
i told you ex....some just need more loving....lol:22a: :haha: . glock and h&k's you can leave in the dirt:gah::blink: :rolleyes: either way yes they have had some problems and i would agree to see if you can fix it....and i would say yeah i am not sure i would trust my life to it........maybe try another on an exchange if possible.:ahhhhh:

#10 · (Edited)
"My ONLY dependable Kahr through "Elimination trials..."

Unfortunately; I've tried "Several" Kahr's of which I've ended up W/ ONE favorite & dependable piece... My K9 Elite '03, is The ONLY one of many attempted, that I've kept and depend/ count on completely & W/o hesitation... I actually like this one SO much I spent the time to make it a set of "Mahogany" grips..! (I know it's NOT a great "PIC..!")

(I forgot to mention that I have recently ordered an MK9 Elite '03 to perform the torture test on as well..!)
I personally believe that the "Elite '03's" are the only one's Kahr seems to put the correct amount of
"Time & Effort" into these days...)
E!

#11 ·
I see a lot of folks having issues with sub compact handguns of all brands and calibers . Now dont get me wrong , i am not saying all failures of sub compacts are operator induced , but i feel a fair percentage are . By thier nature sub compacts are operating right at the envelope of what is possible when scaleing down a design for a given cal . I personaly think that a large part of the issue is slide mass , the sub's simply do not have the slide mass ( inerta ) to be forgiving of much , be it mechanical ( slightly mis formed feed lips of a mag , rough feed ramp , tight chamber , ect.. ) or operator ( a less than rock solid grip/stance , lack of proper lubrocation , ect..) IMHO most if not all sub's can be made to run reliably with proper smithing , and attention to the details of the operators techniques. The question is is it worth it , do you actualy need the formfactor of a sub bad enough to invest the time and money to work the kinks out ? Or would you be as well served with a compact ( the p series , glock 19 , ect size ) which is much more forgiving of variables .
Each person has to answer that question for themselves, but as you do please realise that if you choose a sub compact pistol there will be a lot more " sorting out " of it than a larger pistol , the small size does not come without its drawbacks .

#12 ·
No offense, but it is the many threads like this one that have kept me from buying a Kahr. For years I've been attracted to the brand, but almost every Kahr thread that I've read describes a host of problems. I can't imagine how they get away with charging such high prices for what seems like a frequently problematic brand of handgun. I do have a friend who recently picked up a used K9 and so far it has proven reliable. What bothers me most is that one day I'm likely to lose control, pick up a cute little MK9 or 40, only to find it unreliable. I, like some of the others have stated, hard a time keeping a gun that I don't trust. Then I'll have to sell it at a loss. Oops, I'm coming back to reality now, please forgive me for the little fantasy scenario that just played through my mind. At least for now, I'll stick with my Glocks. Ugly, but functional.

#13 ·
My MK9 is trustworthy now.
I spent some time and money determining the trust. When I first got it all the 9mm ammo I had was made by Speer. What I found with my MK9 was it didn't like any ammo from Speer, no matter the price, weight or bullet type.
I found it eats anything else I feed it.
So, you might try different ammo to see it it clears up. I find the little gun likes to be well cleaned and oiled up as well.
I trust it, I like it, I carry it a lot.

#14 ·
"wtf..!?"

"I guess SOME of us inexperienced people don't have the "Means" to form an objective opinion...
Hell, I've only got somewhere in the neighborhood of likely "A Million rounds..." personally expended in handguns alone..."
I really don't really know how to operate one correctly.., or how it was that "I've instructed literally many Hundred's; more likely an excess of a Thousand or more folks all over the Globe" in how to use them and long arm's tactically as well as defensively..."

"What a fool I was for 15+ years..."

Some of us obviously don't know anything about anything...

"Good Grief..." :blink:

E!

"Good thing there's so many folks w/ some writing skill's to really teach us a thing or 2..!"

"Da_n; I forgot that we have to have in excess of 1000 online posts to really know what we're talking about..!; Sorry, I forgot that rule of thumb..."

No worries; won't happen again...

#15 · (Edited)
Gee now.:blink: <scratching head here> I remember that also sell guns at one of the largest gun Shops on the East Coast. I find that all the Kahrs are neatly tucked away in the top right corner of one of the cases. Used, (450.00-485.00) BUT the surprising factor is, when sold, some come back, :blink: especially the M9 series, with FTF or other related issues. We've sent the guns out that have this trouble, and they work when they return. We (the Store) usually swap em out for updated mags, :yup: at which time the problem is usually corrected. If it persists, we have a 30-day no hassle return policy for problem guns (this excludes the "I've shot it a couple thousand rounds, and don't like it" people)
I'm not damning the Kahr guns, as I really like the K40 series guns because they're small and seem to be well made,:image035: but some of the M9 guns have an inherent problem out of the box, AND, with like any semi auto, the Manufaturer will reccomend that you try several brands of ammo, to find the one that is MOST reliable for your gun, :yup: and then stick to that brand of ammo.(unless the Mfgr has already tweeked the gun to feed on one brand, like the Seecamp 32 and Win Silvertips), Just like EX has mentioned, the gun should run correctly, right out of the box. That's what we're paying for. Just passing some info and observations from a Sales and manufacturing position. :image035:

#16 ·
I am im the same boat. I love the little kahrs and I bought a PM40 when my local shop had a reasonably priced used one. 1st 150 rounds I had about 1-2 FTFs every mag. Keep in mind the mags only hold 5 and 6 rounds. Sent it back to the factory. They told me 1 to 2 weeks at most. Well it took 2 1/2 months and for a while they couldn't even find it. Needless to say I am not impressed with their customer service. Still had a few FTFs on occasion. Sold it to a friend at a $100 loss. He likes it and its been 100% for him. Guess I broke it in for him. He's a TX State Trooper and carries it when off duty.

Some things I liked about it were the sights and the trigger. The trigger was wide, smooth, and light. And I shoot better with the Sig style Dot-Post sights.

#19 ·
Thanks to everyone for all of your thoughts and feedback. Many of you addressed the very question(s) I had in mind, tinker with it? send it back? or dump it for a loss. I am inclined to sell it as I don't think I will be able to fully trust it for self-defense. Also, I'm thinking I should cut my losses now rather than putting money into sending it back etc. etc. I guess I'm inpatient, or my expectations are too high. I just feel that if you pay a good buck for a good, brand name gun, it should work out of the box. I expect my computer, phone, car, TV, etc. to do so, yet many (esp. smaller) auto pistols have tried have been less than reliable. I've had great luck with Glocks and from what everyone else says the Sigs are great.

#20 ·
My range used to sell Kahrs and to me the metal ones were almost trouble free. However, the poly ones did not have such a good track record. I liked the K-40 so much, that I bought one and carried it at the range for a few years before switching to a 4513TSW. IMO, if you have a firearms that is not reliable-send it back to the factory or trade it for one that is. You might do some tinkering that gets it going now but there's always the feeling that maybe the next round is going to jam. Not a very nice feeling.

#21 ·
I forget where I read this, but I think the micro Kahrs (MK9/40, PM9/40) have 2 recoil springs and at the end of the chambering stroke, only one spring is still pushing. As a result, any ammo that is the least bit snug will stop the slide before the gun goes fully into battery. If you go up to the K9/40, CW9/40, this issue goes away.

Again, I'm not 100% sure about this. Someone confirm, please??

#23 ·
I have an MK9 Elite 03. So far, I have over 600 rounds through it with only a FTE on the 8th round. All Remington, WWB, and Hydra-Shok. I like it. It shoots nice and carries great.

That being said, I would recommend a few things. First, I would say to try some different ammo. I'm not sure what you are using, but as I said, I've used WWB and Remington with no problems. I'm going to try the heavy WWB HP ammo in the near future. That would be your cheapest way to go. If you still find it unreliable, I can understand you dumping it. I just cant trust an unreliable firearm. If it's ammo related and just does not like a certain type, I can work around that, but it has to be 100% on my carry ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.