Sig 229 Extreme - Intermittent slide lock failure

This is a discussion on Sig 229 Extreme - Intermittent slide lock failure within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a new SIG 229 extreme in 9mm. I cleaned it thoroughly and then took it to the range for some initial shooting. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig 229 Extreme - Intermittent slide lock failure

VIP Member

Sig 229 Extreme - Intermittent slide lock failure

I just purchased a new SIG 229 extreme in 9mm. I cleaned it thoroughly and then took it to the range for some initial shooting. It fed and extracted well, no failures or jams in 313 initial rounds. However, each of the three magazines all failed to lock the slide after the last shot the first time the mags were used. After that, the slide lock failure became intermittent. I then started loading 3 - 5 rounds in the mags so I could repeat the last shot more often. By the end of the session the failures had disappeared.

I don't see any obvious faults - the slide lock where it engages the slide is not worn, and the magazines, where they engage the slide lock to push the lock up, appear to be fine. In short, all the mating surfaces appear fine. Also, the gun was not a "display" model - it was new in the box , in the plastic bag and greased and had not been manipulated by customers. Finally, I slingshot to release the slide.

Has anyone had this problem with the 229? I'm going to keep shooting it, and if it no longer fails I won't worry about it, but I'm just curious if anyone else experienced this problem.

On a lighter note, the short reset trigger will take some practice to realize it's full potential. However, I can already fire off rounds more quickly while maintaining control than compared to by CZ-75D PCR. The CZ, however, has the better pointability for me. Oh, and the CZ costs about 55% of the what the Sig 229 extreme costs. Overall, though, I'm pleased with the 229 so far, but I'm left wondering about that slide lock.

PEF

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I have the problem with my sig p239. One of the 2 mags won't lock slide back. I'll be taking it to the shop next week so their gunsmith can look at it.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    As a Sig owner it could be a couple of common occurrences:

1. Sig's placement of the slide lock is directly in contact with the grip many shooters use and even slight interaction with the lever causes the slide to not lock back. Check your grip. I am especially troubled when shooting 1911's and switching to my P 229, often my high, thumbs forward grip causes this type of failure on my Sig.

2. The lubricant Sig uses as a preservative on their P Series pistols for shipping is quite sticky and is not only liberally applied to the gun, but also the magazines and needs to be cleaned from the mag's internals or issues can arise. I spray my mags down with break free and let dry when fresh out of the plastic bag Sig ships them in; no need to take them apart, just flush and let dry.

3. It's a brand new gun, give it a chance to break in and you will be fine. If slide lock is still compromised after a few hundred more rounds give CS a call, I'm sure Sig will make it right.

Congrats on your new P Series; fantastic weapons.

VIP Member
    Like matthew, I have that problem with my P228s. I tend to have my thumb "riding" the slide lock lever, and it occasionally causes the slide to not lock back on an empty mag. As I am unwilling to modify my grip, it's just something that I have to deal with. Since I also "slingshot" my slide after a mag change, it isn't that big of a deal. In short, be very aware of your finger (well, thumb) placement, as that may well be the culprit. If not, give it a bit and call Sig if the problem persists.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Matt and Opfor, thanks. I cleaned the mags tonight as well. I did not think of my grip w/r/t the slid lock position. While my thumbs are not touching the slide lock actuator, I suppose during the recoil dynamics it is possible that one is pressing against it.

Darn, looks like I'll have to run a few hundred or more rounds through it tomorrow :)

In my case, it's only one mag that doesn't lock. I've marked the mag and don't use it for my primary mag when I carry the P239.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    In my case, it's only one mag that doesn't lock. I've marked the mag and don't use it for my primary mag when I carry the P239.
    It could be something as simple as the spring in the mag isn't strong enough... or the follower doesn't push up on the slide lock just right.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    It could be something as simple as the spring in the mag isn't strong enough... or the follower doesn't push up on the slide lock just right.
    I'll be taking it back to the shop next week. They have an excellent customer service policy.

This is a pretty common question from Sig shooters. In fact, the Sig Forum has a section specifically reserved to answer this very question. The most common issues for a new pistol are:

Thumb interfering with slide catch lever.
    Not holding pistol firmly.
    Underpowered ammunition

If the slide always locks back when you insert an empty magazine and pull the slide to the rear, one or more of the issues above may well be the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Like matthew, I have that problem with my P228s. I tend to have my thumb "riding" the slide lock lever, and it occasionally causes the slide to not lock back on an empty mag. As I am unwilling to modify my grip, it's just something that I have to deal with. Since I also "slingshot" my slide after a mag change, it isn't that big of a deal. In short, be very aware of your finger (well, thumb) placement, as that may well be the culprit. If not, give it a bit and call Sig if the problem persists.
    Exactly...if the gun is mechanically sound, then check yourself. It may be operator error...between too high of a grip or even limp writing the gun, you could have operator-induced error.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Once i changed my grip on my P229 i have not had any other issues.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    It was my grip. Took it to the range again today and made sure my thumbs were away from the slide lock. No failures. Thanks all!

I really like this gun. Rapid fire with the SRT is an experience very different from triggers with longer resets. Almost like a "finger nudge" for every shot, yet very easy to control.

I'm with Kmagnuss on this one. Being 2x factory Sig armorer schooled, I have seen my share of catastrophic fails. This seems more of an issue with the mags themselves. I'd drop the bottom plate and give them a stretch. metal has memory. Then, put it back together. After that, do a functions check. place a empty mag in the well, make sure it clicks and locks into place. use the forefinger of your non firing hand and give it a tug. then rack the slide back, the mag follower should push the slide lock/ slide release up locking the slide to the rear. Once the slide is locked to the rear, press the mag release; the mag should fall freely.
    lchamp likes this.

[QUOTE=matthew03;2462319]As a Sig owner it could be a couple of common occurrences:

1. Sig's placement of the slide lock is directly in contact with the grip many shooters use and even slight interaction with the lever causes the slide to not lock back. Check your grip. I am especially troubled when shooting 1911's and switching to my P 229, often my high, thumbs forward grip causes this type of failure on my Sig.

2. The lubricant Sig uses as a preservative on their P Series pistols for shipping is quite sticky and is not only liberally applied to the gun, but also the magazines and needs to be cleaned from the mag's internals or issues can arise. I spray my mags down with break free and let dry when fresh out of the plastic bag Sig ships them in; no need to take them apart, just flush and let dry.

3. It's a brand new gun, give it a chance to break in and you will be fine. If slide lock is still compromised after a few hundred more rounds give CS a call, I'm sure Sig will make it right.

Congrats on your new P Series; fantastic weapons.[/QUOTE

i have been having this problem with my P-229 Elite Dark. shouldn't be my grip, since this is my 7th P-series Sig, and i've never had the problem before. shouldn't be the mags , as i'm using older P-229 mags as well as the mags that came with the gun. i'll hope that the gun just needs to be shot some more. i'll also spray clean the slide lock area.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I shoot SIGs with a thumb-locked-down hold, specifically to avoid this situation, when shooting right-handed, though my thumbs are short enough that engaging the slide stop lever is unlikely. When shooting SIGs lefty, one-handed, to stay consistent, I usually lock the thumb down. This matches my revolver grip, so all is nicely consistent. Only when shooting lefty, two-handed, do I use a thumbs-forward grip.

(FWIW, my draw seems programmed well enough to always find a 1911 thumb safety, and I do shoot my 1911 with a thumb-
    forward grip, with one or both hands.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links