Switching EDC gun

This is a discussion on Switching EDC gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recommended this to several people on here and I'll say it again, try a Galco belly band, wear it about and inch lower ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Switching EDC gun

I have recommended this to several people on here and I'll say it again, try a Galco belly band, wear it about and inch lower than where your pants ride. It is very comfortable! I have a smaller waist line (31) and with other holsters it would pull my pants Down if I didn't use my belt to cut off circulation to my lower half. With the belly band all the weight is distributed all around the waist and it is so comfortable! I can walk miles with it on and it doesn't slip or drag my pants down at all, and I think with all of your back pain the band might even give you some back support if you wear it high enough, read some reviews and watch a couple you tube videos a d see what you think. The whole 'belly band' sounds kind of lame at first but once you actually see someone use it an an iwb holster it actually makes sense!

I hope your back pain eases up! My grandma suffers from the same problem and I know how terrible it can be!

2. Remove Ads

Agreed! I thought I was the only one who sometimes used a belly band as a IWB holster. Appendix carry works especially well.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm wondering... You say that the shield is a lot more comfortable than your Glock and that you think that is the case because of the width. My question is this, What is your waist size and what size are your pants? I have have personally found that the width of a fire arm is more or less irrelevant when it comes to comfort if your pants are sized correctly. So if you have a 32 inch waist and your pants are a 32 waist then a shield at 1 inch thick is going to be more comfortable then a Glock at 1.25 inches thick. However, if you have a 32 inch waist and your pants are a 33 waist I can't see why you could tell a difference. If your pants are a size bigger I would venture to guess that what you are feeling in terms of the difference in comfort is more than likely a difference in weight as opposed to width.
    Rollo,

Being someone who carries a G26 unless I need a pocket carry, the shield is quite thin and light. I have picked them up and shot them side by side, and I can say that on paper the weight and dimms don't seem amazingly different, but there is no doubt when you pick them up.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Re: Switching EDC gun

Belly bands work amazingly well. Galco's has more to it, I got one from Stoner Holster and it is a bit less sophisticated. It holds up my full size 45 without a problem under my arm pit.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

The lightweight j frame has been my answer to the back issue. Pocket carry, ankle carry, or belt carry, you dont even know its there.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The lightweight j frame has been my answer to the back issue. Pocket carry, ankle carry, or belt carry, you dont even know its there.
    Sure! That is why they say "RRRRRRR that be peg leg" behind your back!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Wait a minute, let me pull out my crystal ball...

Yep, I see it now, you'll be back to Glock eventually!
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Aye, adding and subtracting by one is pretty heavy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    All this advanced math & theoretical physics is making my head hurt. Let me understand, the Shield is more comfortable, right?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Rollo,

Being someone who carries a G26 unless I need a pocket carry, the shield is quite thin and light. I have picked them up and shot them side by side, and I can say that on paper the weight and dimms don't seem amazingly different, but there is no doubt when you pick them up.
    I agree. I have carried a CM9 (which is pretty close to a shield) and a G26 and there is no doubt that .95 inches vs 1.18 inches in width makes a difference in feel in the hand. My point is more that in terms of comfort inside the waistband, I think width is over rated. It's more about the weight. I think this - It doesn't matter if a gun is 1 inch thick or 5 inches thick. As long as your belt and pants are adjusted to take into account the width of the holster and gun then that width makes no difference in terms of comfort. HOWEVER, if there is even a 4 ounce difference in weight that can make a major difference in comfort. It's part of the reason my LCR is so amazingly comfortable to carry. It's actually the widest carry gun I own... It's also the lightest. I know it's all personal preference and for the most part it's relative, but I think the perception that thinner guns are more comfortable comes from the fact that most thinner guns are lighter. Now, when comparing the shield vs the G26, that's not really the case. They both weigh in pretty close to 26 ounces loaded. The shield may be an ounce or two lighter. That leads me back to pants size. There's a difference between sticking a 1.18 inch wide object in your pants VS a .95 wide object in your pants. If the waist of your pants is not sized to accommodate it, that extra quarter of a inch IS going to be more noticeable. Also, you have to look at your belt notching. If you put a G26 in your pants, take it out, and then stick a shield in your pants without adjusting your belt of course the shield is going to be less noticeable. This is part of the reason I love the wilderness instructor belt. It lets you fine tune the size of the belt to perfectly fit your gun/holster/waist. One belt notch on a normal belt can make a world of difference in terms of comfort. The WIB takes the notches out of the equation.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Tagging on with Rollo, I always wear a size larger pants.

I dress for the gun I'm carrying, not buy a gun for the way I dress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links