Switching EDC gun

Switching EDC gun

This is a discussion on Switching EDC gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate to do this, and I am not doing this because I think this gun is better than my Glock. In fact, I haven't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Switching EDC gun

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Switching EDC gun

I hate to do this, and I am not doing this because I think this gun is better than my Glock. In fact, I haven't even taken it to the range yet to test it. But....

As I have posted, I just received my M&P Shield after a loooooooooooooong wait. I ordered two new holsters from Comp-tac. The Infidel....one for my Shield and one for my Glock. These are very nice minimal holsters. I really like them.

I put my Glock 26 in the holster and attached it to my belt IWB. I wore it around the house for a bit. Then I put my Shield on. OMG, what a huge difference in comfort. The Shield weighs 1.4 lbs (empty in holster) vs. the Glock at 1.6 lbs. But it is substantially thinner and I am thinking that makes all the difference.

I hate to give up my Glock, but because of my back (long history of low back pain) and the comfort difference, I can carry the Shield and have a 9mm vs. my LCP at .380. I will continue to experiment with the Glock and the Infidel, but I may well be switching EDCs.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I hope you mean you are changing the EDC after you have fired the new gun enough to fully trust it. I carried my old EDC for about a month and several trips to the range with zero malfunctions before I could, in my feeble mind, trust the new gun to work when I needed it.
    1MoreGoodGuy, kmagnuss and ccw9mm like this.

I know at least three people with back problems who have attained more carry comfort by switching to AIWB. They manage to carry a double stack gun.

Something to think about.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I carry the three platforms that I have the most time behind.

CZ and Glock, with the LCR as a third.

I shoot the CZs better, but am no huge slouch with a Glock if I take my time with the trigger. nice
    LCRs are very nice to shoot as well.

As for the M&Ps, I climbed that peak-and decided against them.

Having a gun light enough to carry and one you have confidence in is the real goal.

GH
    Let us know your experiences with the Shield. I carry a Glock 23 clone - the S&W Sigma 40VE & at this time negotiating for a Glock 23. I know a S&W collector who wants the Sigma & will get a G23 to swap with me. The G23 was my duty gun but when I stopped working I gave it to my son. I'm not cheap enough to ask for it back & when I got my CCL I couldn't come even close to affording anything more than the Sigma which I bought at a remarkable price & it's extremly reliable even with the stiff trigger pull. At that time Wisconsin didn't have a concealed carry law. Had I know we would I would have kept it. I'm not getting any younger so maybe in the near future I'll go for something like the Shield for its size. I still like a slightly smaller than full size weapon as I've qualified on them & always did remarkably well.

Am I right to assume that your Shield is in 9MM?
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I'm on 2 waiting lists for the M&P Shield 9mm. It's the ideal EDC gun for me, too. I'll make due with my XD subcompact if I don't get the Shield before my CCL arrives. I've already prepared for it and purchased both an IWB and OWB holster for the XD just in case. Congrats on getting your hands on one. I'm sure it will serve you well.

I'm all up for reducing back pain (I broke mine years ago). If that's the Shield, then good pistol choice! BTW, I've found some remarkable (non-narcotic) back pain help. PM me for the details if you're interested.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Welcome back from the dark side relax and enjoy!!

Hey, carry what works for you & no apologies necessary! Anybody who has suffered any back pain should be even less likely to criticize you or anyone else for choosing something that helps you avoid the pain, because that can be no joke!

I'm a firm believer that nobody has any right to try to tell someone else whether to carry, what to carry, etc. We all have our opinions, of course, but equals share opinions on an equal footing. With all that philosophy aside, a Shield is very analogous to a magazine-fed .38 snubbie, and anybody who might think that's somehow beyond the pale of reasonable choices needs a reality check, IMO.

Best of luck, and here's hoping your new solution works out great for you!

VIP Member
    I just spent quite a bit of trigger time with a .40 shield the other day. Good little firearm! It will be reliable and serve you well. I highly recommend shooting it a little though to make sure she is good to go.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Shield 9mm or .40 cal? I own both. Wife carries the 9 I like the .40.

The 9 has been flawless since day one. I polished the top side of the trigger bar to take some of the crunch out of the trigger pull on both.

The .40 gave me trouble, sent it back to S&W for a new mag release, mag mods and roll pin. 300+ rounds through it since with zero problems.

I wear mine IWB. It just goes away and is very comfortable.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

I'm wondering... You say that the shield is a lot more comfortable than your Glock and that you think that is the case because of the width. My question is this, What is your waist size and what size are your pants? I have have personally found that the width of a fire arm is more or less irrelevant when it comes to comfort if your pants are sized correctly. So if you have a 32 inch waist and your pants are a 32 waist then a shield at 1 inch thick is going to be more comfortable then a Glock at 1.25 inches thick. However, if you have a 32 inch waist and your pants are a 33 waist I can't see why you could tell a difference. If your pants are a size bigger I would venture to guess that what you are feeling in terms of the difference in comfort is more than likely a difference in weight as opposed to width.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    ...if you have a 32 inch waist and your pants are a 32 waist then a shield at 1 inch thick is going to be more comfortable then a Glock at 1.25 inches thick. However, if you have a 32 inch waist and your pants are a 33 waist I can't see why you could tell a difference. If your pants are a size bigger I would venture to guess that what you are feeling in terms of the difference in comfort is more than likely a difference in weight as opposed to width.
    All this advanced math & theoretical physics is making my head hurt. Let me understand, the Shield is more comfortable, right?
    ExactlyMyPoint and Rhcmlc like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

After four major back surgeries, three of which have been in the past two years, I have gone to lighter EDC's. I still carry OWB; however, I have found that old fashioned suspenders help me a lot. Putting some of the weight on my shoulders lets me loosen my belt a little and reduces the stress on my lower back. Since this has been so much fun, I am going in one more time in January to have more whittling done.

Quote Originally Posted by claimbuster View Post
    After four major back surgeries, three of which have been in the past two years, ...Since this has been so much fun, I am going in one more time in January to have more whittling done.
    God bless you Texas. There's no such thing as a "minor" back surgery. Check my Post #7. Same deal goes for you.
    AngryBadger417 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links