Range Report: New guns including Walther PPS, Kimber Solo, and Kel Tec PF9

This is a discussion on Range Report: New guns including Walther PPS, Kimber Solo, and Kel Tec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son and I took our new guns to the range for their first action. Beautiful weather. Had lots of fun. Kimber Solo 9mm: Remington ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By godawgs82

Thread: Range Report: New guns including Walther PPS, Kimber Solo, and Kel Tec PF9

Range Report: New guns including Walther PPS, Kimber Solo, and Kel Tec PF9

My son and I took our new guns to the range for their first action. Beautiful weather. Had lots of fun.

Kimber Solo 9mm:

Remington Golden Saber HPJ 147gr: 25
    Remington Ultimate Home Defense 124 gr: 50.

#FTF/FTE's: None, Zero, Nada.
    Gun worked perfectly every time. First ten shots pictured above, from distance of 25 feet....
    Was very pleased with the trigger. Very smooth shooting. Recoil not bad at all.

Walther PPS 9mm:

Remington Ultimate Home Defense 124gr: 25
    Magtech FMC 115gr: 50

#FTF-2 (one with each type ammo), FTE-0
    Not concerned about the FTF (yet)....need to shoot another 100 or so to break it in. Trigger was nice though not as good as Kimber.
    Felt solid in my hand and really was a pleasure to shoot. Less recoil than Kimber.

Kel Tec PF9 9mm:

Remington Ultimate Home Defense 124 gr: 25
    Magtech FMC 115 gr: 50

#FTF/FTE-0

For an inexpensive 9mm, held it's own nicely. No problems. Had to get used to the trigger (long pull, DAO) which resulted in first 10 shots to be all over the map.
    After getting used to it, could put all shots within the bullseye or 9 point section from distance 25 feet.
    Sledge likes this.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    A nice report.

Good to know the SOLO actually worked out for you.

That would be my pick of the three, with the PPS not having a push button mag release that I favor.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

GH
    Good shooting for the first time & a good report.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    thanks for the report!

Do you feel as though the Kimber Solo is a good value after shooting it alongside the other two?

Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    Do you feel as though the Kimber Solo is a good value after shooting it alongside the other two?
    The Kimber Solo (and the Walther PPS) is relatively expensive being over $500 each. On top of that, the Kimber mandates premium (ie expensive) ammo. But....the size of the Kimber Solo is perfect for concealed carry in your front pants pocket. I love the PPS, but will likely carry it in OWB holster only. I just really like the looks of the Solo and LOVE the trigger.

The Kel Tec PF9 is almost identical in size to the Solo. It is a bargain (<$300) and after getting used to DAO long trigger, we shot it as good as the others. Fit and finish is significantly lower but heck....for the price, it is hard to beat for concealed carry.
    Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by godawgs82 View Post
    My son and I took our new guns to the range for their first action. Beautiful weather. Had lots of fun.

Kimber Solo 9mm:

Remington Golden Saber HPJ 147gr: 25
    Remington Ultimate Home Defense 124 gr: 50.

#FTF/FTE's: None, Zero, Nada.
    Gun worked perfectly every time. First ten shots pictured above, from distance of 25 feet....
    Was very pleased with the trigger. Very smooth shooting. Recoil not bad at all.

Walther PPS 9mm:

Remington Ultimate Home Defense 124gr: 25
    Magtech FMC 115gr: 50

#FTF-2 (one with each type ammo), FTE-0
    Not concerned about the FTF (yet)....need to shoot another 100 or so to break it in. Trigger was nice though not as good as Kimber.
    Felt solid in my hand and really was a pleasure to shoot. Less recoil than Kimber.

Kel Tec PF9 9mm:

Remington Ultimate Home Defense 124 gr: 25
    Magtech FMC 115 gr: 50

#FTF/FTE-0

For an inexpensive 9mm, held it's own nicely. No problems. Had to get used to the trigger (long pull, DAO) which resulted in first 10 shots to be all over the map.
    After getting used to it, could put all shots within the bullseye or 9 point section from distance 25 feet.

BTW....The 2 FTF listed abover for the PPS was failure to feed, not failure to fire. Not sure why the round did not come up into the chamber....it was the second round of the magazine both times. Maybe sometime more experienced than I am can tell me.....
    Lifetime NRA member

The Solo mandating premium ammo isn't a deal-breaker IMHO. It isn't a plinker or a match pistol, it's designed & built as a CCW. Yeah, there's some pratice-related expense. But it does what it's asked to do so very well that, to me, it's a small price to pay. It's gonna' be carried with premium ammo anyway. And thanks much for the range report.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links