Range trip and a show, iv never ever corrected another instructor before

This is a discussion on Range trip and a show, iv never ever corrected another instructor before within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So myself my wife and a buddy of mine go out to burn off a bunch of 223 and 45, well as we are talking ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lchamp
  • 1 Post By ANGLICO
  • 1 Post By jbonfadini

Thread: Range trip and a show, iv never ever corrected another instructor before

So myself my wife and a buddy of mine go out to burn off a bunch of 223 and 45, well as we are talking a guy shows up to shoot and asked if he can set up next to us..... Hell the more the merrier.
    Turns out he's an instructor with a class of two people.
    Being I teach many NRA related things we gave him space. Welllll no, there we are watching this guy with this class and I had become so nervous and annoyed I stopped his class! I'm also a rso threw the NRA..

- first I noticed the instructor standing next to the guys shooting but not next to and slightly behind he was 2-3 feet to there left and a few feet in front of the muzzle of people shooting.

- next I watched his student fire a shot then look down the barrel of a Hott weapon 3times after deciding the instructor was not going to correct this behavior I yelled for cease fire! They ignored me for one or two shouts before stopping

I pulled the instructor aside didn't want to have a talking to in front of his class is be pist if someone did that to me
    I explained what I saw and told him it needed to get fixed most unsaleable lesson iv ever witness in my life!!!

We had been at the range for several hours and decided to leave.... Still have 320 rounds to waist:(

I have his name and am debating contacting the NRA

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Did he accept your constructive criticism? It sounds like you did it the correct way...in 'private', away from his students.

If he acknowledged the unsafe activity and changed it, I'd not report it to NRA. If he reacted belligerantly or negatively, I'd report.
    BamaT likes this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Regardless of your current NRA credentials, 'Anyone', on 'Any' firing line has the responsibility to 'call out' unsafe conditions. So Bravo Zulu for that.

Pulling the guy aside to chat was a good move. Afterall, he is running a business (albiet, from your description, not very competently). That probably allowed for his 'ego' to not be pushed....... Leaving with your party was a better move.

As for reporting him, I have to go with a variation of lchamp's question (above) on if you immediately observed his behaviour being modified to an acceptable level of safety and better awareness.

Not having been there, good luck on what you decide, and remember, it is a small community, so you might want to check out more on who he is, before making that decision (what I mean is he may be very well liked in the shooting comunity and you may not be believed, regardless of the facts).
    BamaT likes this.

I don't think ill report him he took what I had to say in a very understanding manner. I'm sure he's a brand new instructor. I didn't stay long to see if it changed in my opinion leaving was the safe way out

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    Did he accept your constructive criticism? It sounds like you did it the correct way...in 'private', away from his students.

If he acknowledged the unsafe activity and changed it, I'd not report it to NRA. If he reacted belligerantly or negatively, I'd report.
    Fine advice, I agree.

Glad you could enlighten the instructor OP.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

His two students probably missed what may have been the most important lesson of the day: if you aren't comfortable with others at the range, leave.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

In today's world, too many people are afraid to say anything to someone in fear of "hurting their feelings". You saw something that could've turned into a fatal mistake (the student looking into the barrel of a hot weapon) and stepped forward. I applaude you for doing the right thing.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

You mentioned he was ahead of the shooter. Is it possible he missed the incident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience at a local indoor range in the DFW area a number of years ago. An instructor was working with three newbies, and the problems started when it became apparent that, no matter the experience level of the instructor, she could not adequetely monitor her three inexperienced students all shooting at the same time. I was swept once by the student next to me, at which point I rather pointedly told the student to please not do that again. When it happened a SECOND time, I pulled the instructor aside and told her what was happening. When it happened a THIRD time, I left, informed the RSO working the counter in no uncertain terms that it was a completely unsafe environment in the lane area, to which he promptly removed the instructor and students.

On the way out, the instructor gave me a death stare that I could not let go unanswered. I asked her if I could have a word with her outside of earshot of her students. She obliged, apparently thought about it a little, and apologized. I explained as clearly as I could that she's lucky someone wasn't hurt or killed. She offered to pay me back for my range fee, I accepted, and left it at that.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Private Range ? Take it to the club board.

Public Range - Only go there when its mostly empty.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I understand the point of not hurting people's feelings, ill clarify that the instructor was looking right at the student as he looked down his muzzle, on the flip side no one is perfect and we all make mistakes I would hope someone would stand up and say something to me if they saw such a thing.
    I take gun safety very seriously and will not tolerate unsafe actions by anyone
    BamaT likes this.

Looking down the barrel of a hot gun? As a big science person I would like to take to point out that this is how natural selection works ladies and gentlemen. The intelligent/fit/successful/careful survive. The others such as this student sometimes end up in the Darwin awards.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    You did good. Around here there are many people (who are not all that knowledgeable with guns) getting firearms instructor certs as an easy money side job. Some of the conversations I've had with them are scarey. This is another reason I don't like going to a range at all (though I do occasionally). Thankfully I have a friend with some rural property that he lets me use for shooting but it is about a 30 minute drive each way. It beats the range though.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Links