Finally a carry weapon with some power.

This is a discussion on Finally a carry weapon with some power. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a year or two, I have only had two handguns. One is a Diamondback DB380, and the other is a CZ-75 Tactical Sports in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Finally a carry weapon with some power.

Finally a carry weapon with some power.

For a year or two, I have only had two handguns. One is a Diamondback DB380, and the other is a CZ-75 Tactical Sports in 9mm. The 380 is very small and very very easy to conceal. It has always ran 100% with me, and I can hit what I point it at. The CZ on the other hand, I can hit anything I want with it. I am no expert at shooting ( I am only 23), but this is the most accurate I have ever been with a handgun. The first 5 shots out of the box made a nice ragged hole at 25ft. I hit a piece of paper ON EDGE at 75 feet, and a steel gong at 150 yards. I love this gun.

The only problem with it is that it is like trying to conceal a pistol grip shotgun. So I have recently been feeling like I needed an in-between gun. I was teetering between a Glock 29, wanting some 10mm hand cannon power, and a good ole 1911.

Well, a couple of weeks ago I walk into a LGS. They rarely have good deals anymore, but I have been kicking myself for passing on a $700 Dan Wesson 1911 that I saw in there once. Any way I notice this 1911 on the shelf with a price tag of $450. I ask to look at it, and he clears is and hands it to me. I start looking it over and I see Storm Lake Machine engraved on the slide, Caspian arms engraved on the frame, and a handful of small upgrades like an extended mag release, big beaver tail safety, etc. I check the price tag, and it says its 10mm, but when I check the chamber, it says 40sw. The guy behind the counter says it comes with two barrels. I ask if it comes with anything else, and he pulls out the box with the 10mm barrel and 3 mags, a heavy recoil spring and a mag pouch.

I am in love at this point, but I hear this awful sound every time I rack the slide (which is fit pretty well to the frame). I ask if I can field strip it and they are fine with it. I get it apart and I notice that it doesnt have the 1911 swinging barrel link. It has a cam slot like my CZ, which is one of the reasons it is so accurate. I then see that the reverse recoil spring plug is slightly bent and dragging on the spring. I address the issue and we settle at $400 dollars.

I go home, order a briley supported recoil plug and take it to the range. Nice and accurate and I now know I love 10mm. Already have a Galco holster, and I just ordered an Old Faithful IWB holster.

Any way, heres some pictures of it, and one of the trifecta.

I love the ribbed flat top slide.

New recoil plug. No I wasnt pointing it at myself.

The Family
    shadowwalker likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new (to you) gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks! As friends have said, once you get the 1911 bug, you are done for.

Here is all I can find on Storm Lake Machine. It seems to be a different company than the Storm Lake that makes a lot of barrels.

Storm Lake Machine

Distinguished Member
    Congrats on the new gun! Not a 1911 fan myself, but good for you.

I AM however a huge fan of that BEAUTIFUL Tactical sports CZ you have there! That is super nice. One day, one day . . . . ughh, will this wish list ever stop growing!!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Congrats on your purchase. And your other guns look good to. Im a big fan of CZs. Wait im a big fan of any gun.

Seems like a steal at $400. Congrats on your new acquisition!!! Nice.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Congrats on the new family member!

Congrats on the fine score.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Congratulations on a great buy and price for a custom 1911.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Congrats on the new gun! Not a 1911 fan myself, but good for you.

I AM however a huge fan of that BEAUTIFUL Tactical sports CZ you have there! That is super nice. One day, one day . . . . ughh, will this wish list ever stop growing!!
    Trust me, it was painful laying out the cash at the register for it but I have not regretted it.

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Any one have a particular 10mm defense load that they prefer? So far all I could find locally is Hornady. It doesnt seem that hot of a round though. I hear buffalo bore is pretty stout.

I have the Hornady 155s - haven't tested them yet, but the numbers seem good. I've got a Glock 20 that I'm going to switch over to once it's proven itself. I would consider looking at the Underwoodammo.com stuff as well - it is hot stuff.

Austin

Nice find! If it cycles well with .40 loads, then you may want to consider getting a stronger recoil spring to shoot the 10's, or it will put more wear and tear on the pistol, at least with full power 10mm loads.

"With some power," eh? Seems that being able to hit sheets of paper on-edge at will is pretty "powerful." Kudos to CZ for the 75-series pistols, and that's a fact. 9mm notwithstanding.

Hopefully your wonderful new gun will turn out to be just as "powerful" for you. Enjoy!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Nice find! If it cycles well with .40 loads, then you may want to consider getting a stronger recoil spring to shoot the 10's, or it will put more wear and tear on the pistol, at least with full power 10mm loads.
    I forgot to mention that it did come with two recoil springs. One is definitely stiffer than the other, so I have been using it with the 10mm. It also had a shock buffer installed, but I don't know how much those help.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I have the Hornady 155s - haven't tested them yet, but the numbers seem good. I've got a Glock 20 that I'm going to switch over to once it's proven itself. I would consider looking at the Underwoodammo.com stuff as well - it is hot stuff.

Austin
    I might have to order some underwood ammo. That stuff looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    "With some power," eh? Seems that being able to hit sheets of paper on-edge at will is pretty "powerful." Kudos to CZ for the 75-series pistols, and that's a fact. 9mm notwithstanding.

Hopefully your wonderful new gun will turn out to be just as "powerful" for you. Enjoy!
    I was more referring to the 380 that I carry every day. With the tiny barrel and no sights, its only so accurate. 380ACP has its limitations as well. I usually feel fine, but there have been times when I am in Atlanta where I would have felt more comfortable with more than 7 rounds of 380.

I was using the CZ as a truck/nightstand gun, but I never carried it. It is just too heavy, and there are no good holsters for it. If it was a normal 75, there wouldnt have been a need for the 1911.

Damn man... that's the steal of the century right there. I'm jealous and I think I hate your face a little bit. Jealous more than anything though... congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links