Sig Sauer's and Why?

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer's and Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been coveting a sig 229 for quite some time and finally rented one last week just to make sure it was what I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer's and Why?

VIP Member
    I have been coveting a sig 229 for quite some time and finally rented one last week just to make sure it was what I wanted.
    It really is very very very nice. When all was done, my coveting notwithstanding, I don't think it is right for me. YMMV.

Positives, good to excellent quality, DA/SA (my preference) excellent SA trigger, total reliability on the 100 rounds I put through it.

It didn't quite fit my hand, but that likely is the result of a misaligned wrist, courtesy of a roller-blade accident accomplished when I was much too old to roller blade, so its a special situation. If not for that issue I'd have bought it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just last Friday I bought a NIB Sig P220 stainless elite .45; just too awesome not to own one. The 220 is awesome......not me.
    kmagnuss and Hulley like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    I like Sigs...I carried a 220 on duty for 10 years.

Then I was told to get in line with everyone else and carry the G21. To me, it was stepping backwards rather than forward.

After being used to the Sig, that Glock felt like it had the ergonomics of a 2x4. Not only that... but slapping someone with the Sig was much more effective than pistol whipping someone with a plastic gun. The Sig left an impact. No one takes a Glock upside the head as serious as they ought to...
    kmagnuss, PEF, QKShooter and 4 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I like Sigs...I carried a 220 on duty for 10 years.

Then I was told to get in line with everyone else and carry the G21. To me, it was stepping backwards rather than forward.

After being used to the Sig, that Glock felt like it had the ergonomics of a 2x4. Not only that... but slapping someone with the Sig was much more effective than pistol whipping someone with a plastic gun. The Sig left an impact. No one takes a Glock upside the head as serious as they ought to...
    Please tell us you didn't.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    I dont use the pistol anymore Hop. I just use the Taser now. Its not nearly as bloody and the reports aren't near as long.
    kmagnuss, msc8127 and jbum like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sig's are, like glocks, riding on the reputation of their product. Most owners of Sigs Love them.

I had a bad experience with a NIB Sig P229 I bought over a dozen years ago and vowed to never again spend the money on a gun I couldn't trust. My experience was, it seems, a one in a million lemon but I havent bought or fired one since.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Not trying to start a nasty debate, nor, am I trying or looking to trash anyone or anything.

But….I got ah ask
    So why do Sig Sauer’s cost a few dollars more then their S&W, Ruger, and Glock counterparts

And is the higher price really worth it? So tell me what do you think and why?

Just looking for a justification as to why you think I should, and why did or would you spend the extra money on one?

Why did you do it? Why do you think I should?

So tell me what do you think and why?

Also, just how reliable are they as a SDCCW?
    I am assuming price has to do with manufacturing cost and what the market will support. I don't think polymer frame v. alloy frame makes much of a difference. You can buy an all steel CZ for about the same price as a Glock.

Another cost driver is the amount of extra work that one product line has in it over another. Think of the cost of labor - man hours to manufacture the gun.

Who knows what the real drivers are, and I doubt Sig, Smtih, Ruger, Springer, or Glock will be willing to explain.

I recently purchased a Sig 229 Extreme. I have two range trips under my belt, and about 500 rounds, so my experience is very limited. What I can say is that the trigger is very smooth, and breaks very cleanly. I'd say the trigger certainly outclasses the trigger on my CZ 75D PCR, which is a tad bit rough (not bad) during travel, and in SA is gritty. But CZ cost about 60% of what I paid for my Sig 229 Extreme (and the cost of my 229 is slightly inflated, because it has a few bells and whistles that other 229's don't). The trigger is also better than my Browning Hi Power; but both the CZ's and the Hi Powers are not known for their fantastic triggers.

I'm also familiar with Glocks. The triggers are not entirely to my liking, and the ergonomics are also not to my liking. I can shoot them fine, and they are fine pistols, if they fit you.

When it came down to it, I wanted the Sig not because I needed it, but because I liked it. And it simply felt better to me than the Glocks, SD's or XD's I handled.

I can't tell you what you should do, except buy what you prefer.

I was looking for an SA/DA (or SAO) metal framed gun, amby safety, maybe a single stack. The Glock model that meets this spec is hard to find.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I was looking for an SA/DA (or SAO) metal framed gun, amby safety, maybe a single stack. The Glock model that meets this spec is hard to find.
    ...ummm...no external safety on the SIGs...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ...ummm...no external safety on the SIGs...
    The P220 SAO has an ambi safety...I know, I've got one and it's SWEET!!
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

My 1st Sig was a P226. After my wife shot it, she walked off of the indoor range...into the gun shop & bought herself a P226 E2. I later bought a P238 Diamondplate. Of all of my hanguns, Sig is the only brand that I have multiples of. For me, they're the most comfortable in my hand. Their accuracy & reliability are fantastic.

If SHTF, I'm grabbing one of my Sigs first.
    Hulley likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I bought my p220 second hand and it had a dorked up trigger bar spring in it until I was able to get the right spring last week. Even with the spring issue the accuracy of the gun was incredible. Now, with the spring corrected, and the trigger acting like it should, I'm completely hooked on this gun. I was able to put roughly 500 rounds through it today, most of which were handloads. The gun of course ran all of them flawlessly, and with the trigger behaving, my first shot out of the holster improved greatly. I replaced most of the springs in the gun, and I couldn't be happier with how this gun ran today. The balance of the gun, reliability, and accuracy are all excellent.

Will the p220 do anything a glock won't do?...that's debatable I suppose. I down own a few glocks and I really like them. But, the sig definitely gives a person a different feeling when they operate it.

Cost...are they worth the extra coin? I paid $675 for my p220 with 4 mags. It's the SAS carry model with the short reset trigger. I've got another $20 in it in a spring kit now, and I don't feel like i've got too much money in the gun by any stretch of the imagination. I would pay the new price on one without hesitation having now owned this one.

I've never been a SIG fan at all, never liked the layout of the controls etc. I recently got a P245 and it's grown on me, comfy in the hand and damned accurate and without a doubt the lightest recoiling 45 ACP that I've ever fired. I like it so much that I'm looking for a 220 or a 225 at this moment. Are they worth the extra $ over others? Only you can answer that but just remember who the finishers of the big Gov't handgun test were a few yrs ago, and NO glock was not one of them.

Cost should be the last thing you consider when purchasing a self-defense weapon. Everything else is more important.

When all other things are equal, then you compare prices and the lowest price wins.

When you compare a Sig to another brand of firearm, all things are never equal.
    Curzyk likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I own a P226. When considering my purchase I looked at many reviews and videos and handled a few in the gun store. The fit and finish and attention to detail is what sold me. Considering many military and police agencies choose Sig Sauer helped ease my anxiety to spend my money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links