para 12.45 LDA vs. glock 36

This is a discussion on para 12.45 LDA vs. glock 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking and thinking about selling or trading the lil' para LDA for a glock slimeline #36. My reasoning is for carry conceal. ...

Thread: para 12.45 LDA vs. glock 36

para 12.45 LDA vs. glock 36

I have been looking and thinking about selling or trading the lil' para LDA for a glock slimeline #36. My reasoning is for carry conceal. Theres the difference in weight (pro glock), difference in magazine capacity (pro para), and I hear that the glock is alot slimmer to hide. Don't get me wrong, the para is a sweet gun. All stainless steel with an Ed Brown bullet-proof extractor. She spits'em out as fast as the trigger is pulled without a hiccup. I feel like I'm carrying a piece of gold and treat it that way. Its really not my style of gun. I was leaning toward the Smith 325pd revolver but thats too expensive. I feel the glock would be about perfect. I guess I'm looking for alot of weight reduction, thats one reason I carry the snubby revolvers so much.
    Any thoughts to ponder and of useful information is welcome...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Can't dispute your reasoning.

The question is , can you transition to a totally different trigger
    and grip angle (glock) - and still shoot adequately for SD purposes?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

G36, Kahr P45, Para Carry

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I have been looking and thinking about selling or trading the lil' para LDA for a glock slimeline #36. I guess I'm looking for alot of weight reduction, thats one reason I carry the snubby revolvers so much.
    You seem to like your Para 12.45 LDA but find it too heavy and are willing to give up the 12 round capacity for 6 rounds. I looked up your gun on the Para Ordnance website, and it does weigh 34 ounces empty with wide grips to hold the double stack magazine. The Glock 36 is only 22.5 ounces empty, according to the Glock website, so you'd save a lot of weight there and have 6+1 round capacity.

Additionally, the Kahr P45 is even smaller than the Glock, at 20.5 ounces with 6+1 capacity.

Another possibility, if you like the Para LDA trigger, is the single stack Para Carry with 3 inch barrel and LDA trigger. This steel gun weighs 30 ounces empty and has much smaller dimensions than your 12.45 gun.

One Opinion...

here...I just got back from church and my G36 is still tucked in my Fist SOB holster...hardly know it's there.
    I have been leaving my Kimber Ultra CDP at home more and more. The '36' is so comfortable...
    I haven't had a problem using either one at the range...both fire well and the trigger difference is not a big deal for me.
    If I can't survive with 6+1...how will any more help me? (I do carry a second mag...)

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pogo2, the mag capacity is 10. You have to buck up for the 12 rounder. Good luck getting 10 in the mag.
    retsupt99, I know what you mean with the 6 rounder, which with one in the pipe makes it 7. My taurus 85 gets me a flat 5, and the sp101 makes it 6 so If I can't hit with those (but I can, thank you!) I just dead in the water...
    I don't care for a Kahr. Ever since I got my colt mustang, Kahr hasn't impressed me. I can't see a Kahr .45 in my future. Just can't.
    The para is only wider than a standard 1911 by 1/10" (at the grip)I believe. I personally examined it against a SA mil-spec the other day. Its that close...
    I guess I do need to shoot a glock...any glock. If I can hit with it, then the slimline will be more than adequate.

I love my G36. Slimline makes it easy to conceal and you don't have to treat it like gold!

I think today, I'll go to a few of the shops and see about these glock "slimline" pistols...

Glock

NO! NO! No! Stay with the 325, don't be seduced by the dark side:
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

I had a P12 LDA but traded it due to the weight when wearing it holstered. I then got a Glock 36 but did not like the grip or the size. I traded it plus some money for a Springfield Micro Compact Bi-tone model in 45 ACP. I love this gun!!! It shoots anything I put in it and its 7 plus 1. Night sights also. You can carry this gun all day long and feel comfortable. Steve 48

Congrats on your choice Steve. You found your "dream" carry gun. Like you, I couldn't get used to the #36 nor #30. The para just does it for me. The recoil spring from Brownells took care of what might be all reliability problems (man, that booger was tight to put in!).
    And today, I stepped into a small gun shop that had a mess load of pistol magazines that the owner said he has accumulated over the past 14 years. I found a new/older megcar mag for the 12 LDA for only $20. I was stoked. So stoked that I forgot to bargain on that price. STILL..... a good deal. :)
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

got a g36 and i love it. it is the gun that you put on and you forget that you have it on. i like it better that my g27 when it come to all day setting in the g-ride.

Try one before you buy one. It was a little like putting a 3 inch 2x4 in a 4 inch hand for me.

Para makes several small 45's. The one I actually got to shoot kept trying to jump into my hip pocket and go home with me. Perhaps she felt abused as her owner usually caries a 9mm Kahr.
    Friends don't let friends buy GLOCKs!

I love my G36. Comfortable for all day carry and shoots very well. I put the hogue slip on grips on mine for a little palm swell. The G36 has been my constant off-duty companion since I got it.

But to each his own. Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Links