Need a Sig recommendation.

This is a discussion on Need a Sig recommendation. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always been very comfortable with 1911's because the thin grips go well with my small hands. I recently purchased a full size Sig p220 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need a Sig recommendation.

I've always been very comfortable with 1911's because the thin grips go well with my small hands. I recently purchased a full size Sig p220 with thin grips to try out because I'm a fan of no safeties on carry weapons. I REALLY like it..... But the grip is just a bit too big for me to be comfortable with. Is there another sig .45 out there set up the same with smaller grip size? Does the 220 compact have a smaller grip, or just a shorter barrel?

2. Remove Ads

Re: Need a Sig recommendation.

Look at the P250s - full size and compact. They have interchangeable grips so you should be able to change between small, medium and large grips. I left off the subcompact because the 45 Xchange kit is not yet for sale for it.
    They are listed on Sigs website under parts
    George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

mkh
    The 220 Compact actually feels bigger to me that the standard 220.

Sig Sauer 1911 C3 and happy you !!!!!!

Attached Images
    mano3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I really like my P239. It is a heavy SA/DA 9mm and very accurate and comfortable in my hand. The DA is long and smooth and the SA is smooth and crisp.

220 Elite Dark. Enough said.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

Multistage, you keep making me look at that gun!!! I do not own sigs, but have always wanted some. Will get there eventually. I initially liked the 226 and loved everything about it. Good luck, let us know what you choose!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    220 Elite Dark. Enough said.
    Can you please explain to me what the differences are between the gun you mentioned and the 220 I was talking about in the original question?

If your Sig came with the standard "thin" grips, and it's too large for your hand, I don't think there is another P220 version that will do any better. I have the "Carry" version of the P220 and the stock is the same size as the full sized P220. One poster mentioned the P239......it's a single stack 9mm/357sig/40s&w with I believe a smaller stock than the P220. You probably need to find yourself a gun store that sells the various models and hold a few..... The true test is in the holding and shooting.....

dear Crews: i have small hands, so i have had to deal with the same situation as you.

1. the discontinued Sig P-245, is a compact, single stack .45 which might fit you better. depending on your hand size, this may be your best bet for a .45 Sig that's really comfortable for you. there is only so much that can be done to the P-220.

2. if your P-220 really has the "thinner" plastic grips, which i also have on my P-220 Elite, then see if a "short trigger" is a possibility. this will shorten the reach to the trigger and enable you to shoot the gun without having to skew your hand around the grip so much.

3. i don't think that the "Elite Dark" is really any different in grip size than any other P-220. (not really certain)

4. aluminum or G-10 grips aren't any real improvement over the "thinner" plastic grips.

5. the "thinner" plastic grips i have on my P-220 have a different curve to the backstrap than most 220 grips, and it fits my hand better.

6. Sig has made an E2 grip for their P-229, which is smaller in circumference than the standard grip. check with Sig to see if an E2 kit will be available for the P-220.

7. if none of this works, then consider the Sig P-239 in 9mm, .40S&W, or .357SIG. i have one in 9mm.

good luck, and i'd like to know what you finally end up doing. if you feel like it, send me a PM through this site. thanks.

Agree with above... if Sig makes the E2 kit for the 220 that would be the way to go.

Or if you could get away from the .45 you could go to the P239 in .357 Sig and have as much/more power in a smaller package.

The Sig P245 and the P220 Compact are just a shorter (height) version of the same grip that the P220 and P220 Carry uses. If the width and/or the length (front to back length of the grip) bother you, then a P245 or P220 Compact will not do you any good. Like already mentioned, if you want to stay with .45ACP in a Sig pistol, you will need to look at the P250 polymer frame series. As to the thinnest grips you can get for the P series metal frame pistols, that would be the Hogue Extreme Alum. and Hogue Extreme G10 grips (these are somewhat considered even slightly thinner than the stock plastic grips, but not by all (some believe the plastic grips are just as thin, I'm not really sure myself)). The mentioned P220 Elite Dark model, is a full sized P220 (same grip dimensions as a normal P220 or normal P220 Carry) that comes with a beavertail, night sights and a SRT trigger and also sports thin Hogue Extreme Aluminum grips.

Just checked out a P239 SAS... Much more comfortable for me, and set up the same way. I'm just going to have to do my research and decide if I'll be happy with 8 rounds of 357 Sig

AZGlock13 seems to know what he's talking about, BUT you might still look at a P-245. "search" it on this site. another member, pogo2, has posted some great photos of his P-245. see the thread, "Opinions on the Sig P245"

sometimes just shortening a grip makes it better for smaller-handed folks. for example, a Glock 17/22/31 feels a bit big in the grip to me, but the shorter grip of the Glock 19/23/32 feels just right.

my favorite Sig is my 1995 vintage P-229/.357SIG. no failures of any kind through 17 years, and thousands of rounds. i have had the short trigger and (newer style) aluminum grips installed.

i think that the average 125 grain .357SIG round has more foot pounds of energy than the average round of 230 grain .45ACP. of course, energy is only one factor of a SD round's effectiveness. what is important is that YOU have confidence in what you're carrying. personally, i would feel well-armed with any good SD round in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .357 (Magnum or SIG) or several other less common calibers. that said, my favorite is really .357SIG.

i have a P-220 Elite and P-220 Super Match SAO that both came with the beautiful laminated rosewood grips. they made the grips too fat for me. the Elite now wears the "thinner" plastic grips with different backstrap profile, and the SAO has Hogue aluminum grips.
    Last edited by sensei2; November 26th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Yes, I agree with sensei2. If you have a chance to feel how the grip on a P245 or P220 Compact feels, go for it. It just might feel better to you than a full size P220 or P220 Carry grip. The Sig P239 is a great option as well. I have both a P220 Compact DAK SAS and a P239 DAK (non SAS) 9mm. They are both great carry pistols. Here are few pics I took of the two of them together a few years ago:

P220c_P239_002.jpg

P220c_P239_001.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links