Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

This is a discussion on Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ohhhh , I thought this thread was about "a smaller guy that isn't a GLOCK ". (Isn't that what the title says?)...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

Ohhhh, I thought this thread was about "a smaller guy that isn't a GLOCK". (Isn't that what the title says?)
    sioux565 and Brad426 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

$5 says the OP ends up getting a Glock!

Glocks grow on you like a rash. Lol. J/k.
    sioux565 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

I'd say the Hk p2000sk with the LEM light trigger.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    $5 says the OP ends up getting a Glock!
    I'll take that bet and raise you $600, haha. I'm probably going to end up going with a 1911 of some sort, just need to narrow it down to one that fits me well.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaop92 View Post
    I'll take that bet and raise you $600, haha. I'm probably going to end up going with a 1911 of some sort, just need to narrow it down to one that fits me well.
    I just about spent that on my new Glock!! If you like the 1911 style, but want something that is a bit more reasonable to carry, I would look at the Sig 938 or 239. I am not sure what your price range is, but they might be above it.

VIP Member
    If u have limited experience or do , I would suggest getting a hammer less revolver such as a Smith & Wesson model 642. Iv had pistols of all kinds through the years plus worked thirty years full time in LE and I always carry my 642 more then anything. Simple to operate and pull the trigger it goes bang without a lot of recoil and fuss. Will always hold it value and should last your lifetime. You can not go wrong with a 642. Oh and get the model without the lock while their still available. It's a bit of everything. A pocket pistol, or IWB, OWB, ankle carry. It can do it all great with its small lightweight stainless steel frame. Any J frame smith and Wesson pistol in good shape is an excellent carry piece for concealed carry. It's a classic for all time...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Look at the guns I own....Walther PPS 9mm or Kimber Solo 9mm or Kel Tec PF9 9mm.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm 5'3" and weigh 97 lbs. I carry either a Glock 19 or 26. That not to say I'm recommending a Glock to you only saying that when it comes to being small and still concealing a firearm, not many people have me beat. It is doable and you don't have to carry a mouse-gun either.
    Take a look at the S&W M&P shield or their 9c. Springfield makes some nice compact firearms, too. Walker has some options but the PPKs wouldn't top my personal preference list but that's me.

If I were you I would be looking for as much capacity as you could get in a package as big as you can comfortably conceal and carry and shoot. Tiny little guns are not going to be comfortable to shoot and you're going to find yourself not wanbhg to practice with them. 9mm is a good caliber, too. cheaper and a decent stopper (as little as a handgun can be anyway).

^^^I'm with her^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(figuratively speaking JD)
    On this one.

Also check on the Ruger lc9 or one of the Kahrs

I carry an M&P .357Sigc, same frame as the 9mm. I love this pistol.
    Richard58 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    If u have limited experience or do , I would suggest getting a hammer less revolver such as a Smith & Wesson model 642. Iv had pistols of all kinds through the years plus worked thirty years full time in LE and I always carry my 642 more then anything. Simple to operate and pull the trigger it goes bang without a lot of recoil and fuss. Will always hold it value and should last your lifetime. You can not go wrong with a 642. Oh and get the model without the lock while their still available. It's a bit of everything. A pocket pistol, or IWB, OWB, ankle carry. It can do it all great with its small lightweight stainless steel frame. Any J frame smith and Wesson pistol in good shape is an excellent carry piece for concealed carry. It's a classic for all time...
    Me, too. I carry a 642 most of the time. With modern ammo, the distinctions between a 380, 9 and a 38 special are becoming very blured. (Yes, I know what the test numbers say, but in actual gunfights, their "1 shot incapacitation" percentages are very close for hydrashoks, etc)
    Advantages of a revolver:
    If there is a misfire, simply pull the trigger again.
    Simplicity, will fire even if not cleaned for a long time
    Limp wrist FTF doesnot occur
    Don't care what ammo you use
    Not fussy on the magazine in it; does not have one
    Will fire underwater and "cycle" (Don't ask"

Additional: If you want more power try the 357 concealed carry guns

Now all that said; the fit of the gun to your hand is the most important factor. It should be an exact extension of your arm, so the gun points where your arm does automatically. Most self defense situations are at bad breath distances out to maybe 10'. Getting it out and putting some ammo into the "black area" before he does it to you is far more important than caliber or what action the gun is. I am not a big guy. I started carrying at 21 yrs old, and I was 5-7 and 127#. I carried a 2" chiefs special, and later a PPK, IWB and pocket. My boss said it was OK to carry as long as no customers saw it and complained.. (My occupation called for me to go into "bad areas" and/or at night.)

Ruger LC9, SR9c
    Kahr CW9, CW40, CW45
    S&W and SA both have good pistol choices too, although I don't own them.

Or just get you a good aluminum 5 shot snubbie, which I find to be the best all around personally. I'm small framed too, and I think the J-Frame style is easiest to carry, even though I have other choices.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    You might take a gander at the Ruger LC9 9mm low recoil, very concealable, plus it has sex appeal which the Glock's never will have.....LOL
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

OP, this is where most people started. You see, you don't have enough experience to draw from to know what you really want and need at this time. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has been there.

So, my best advice is to shoot some different guns, and decide what and why you like what you like. Then, join a shooting club, where IDPA matches are held, and mingle and talk with the participants. You are not there to compete, just observe and see different guns and holsters, and get suggestions first hand from people wha have been doing it for awhile.

As you get to know your chosen gun, become proficient with it, and learn different ways you can carry it, you may then begin to notice some shortcomings or features that you want to change.

The point is; find something you like and can use now. The Walther PPK that you mentioned is a fine carry gun. Later, you may decide you want something else, but you don't know what you don't know.

Everybody will give you their ideas, based on what they have learned works for them..but only you will know what will work for you. Just jump in and get started...experience and practical application will take it from there!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

You can still find the RAMI P models.
    oneshot and blitzburgh like this.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by deltaop92 View Post
    II love the 1911 platform, but not sure if my size is an issue with concealing one (even the compacts I've held are pretty large). But I've also heard that you should carry a 1911 cocked and locked, and I don't know about the safety problems that presents.
    It's not really the overall size, it's the width that counts. A single-stack 1911 is thinner than most other weapons -- and therefore can conceal easier. I'm 5'6" and can conceal a full-size 1911 easily. (I began with Commander size, but quickly realized a full-size carried just as well) If you've got a good belt and holster to spread the weight, you really won't notice it at all (and neither will anyone else).

Some people are uncomfortable carrying cocked and locked -- that's actually the safest way to carry it, though. Remember that a 1911 also has a grip safety -- meaning there are three safety's keeping it from firing (thumb safety, grip safety, and trigger).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links