Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock. - Page 3

Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

This is a discussion on Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being tall and thin shouldn't be a problem. When I was younger one of the guns I carried was a Tok-Egypt in 9mm. Its a ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Being tall and thin shouldn't be a problem. When I was younger one of the guns I carried was a Tok-Egypt in 9mm. Its a Tokarev made for the Egyptian army. It was very thin, single stack, and a full sized gun. I havent seen one in a long time but the Russian version is out there at a reasonable price. As are the CZ 82 and 83s these are easy to carry used guns. And are a good start. But if you want a 1911 in 9mm there are a few good ones out there and I don't think you would be making a mistake getting one. DR

Quote Originally Posted by woodsong View Post
    there are three safety's keeping it from firing (thumb safety, grip safety, and trigger).
    Actually there are 5 on a Series 80 or 90: thumb safety, Grip Safety, Firing pin lock, Inertial Firing pin, and "Half-cock" notch on the hammer--6 if you count the trigger. Series 70 doesn't have the firing pin safety. All of these "safeties" must be "unlocked" in order to fire. Any one of which can and will stop the gun from going bang. A 1911 is about as "safe" as they come.

VIP Member
    Sig P938
    Walther PPS
    Springfield XDs
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro
    Ruger SR9
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Ill add the SP101 to the mix, since the OP didnt say whether revolvers were under consideration or not.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by deltaop92 View Post
    I'm probably going to end up going with a 1911 of some sort, just need to narrow it down to one that fits me well.
    It sounds like the OP favors a 1911, based on what he has shot in the past. Given his tall, slender build the 1911 is a good choice for concealment, as it is one of the most slender of handguns and will lay flat on the body with the right holster.

I would recommend an aluminum frame 1911 with either the officer's grip and a 3 inch barrel or the regular grip length and a 4 inch barrel. The officer's grip is easier to conceal in my experience. I use a Colt Defender in 3 inch length often, and sometimes a Kimber Pro CDP in 4 inch length, with slim profile grips on both guns to make them flatter.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Your Defender is a sweet gun there Pogo. Ever see a Defender Plus? They quit making them, but I see that Kimber is now making the same thing. My idea of the perfect concealed 1911 style.

Also, Defenders are available in 9mm and 40 (old production) if that is a consideration. Wish they made them in 38 Super or 357 Sig!

First, I'm going to echo one of the other posters. Find a range that will let you try some different pistols. Find one that fits your hand, and shoots well for you. IF you find something that you love and it seems to a be a bit out of your price range, then take a look for a used pistol in that type.

Second, if you already know that 1911's shoot well for you, take a look at options for carrying a 1911. What about a commander size? Bobtailed commander (although this is often an expensive option)? Springfield EMP? Officer size?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    you can dress around any gun regardless of size.... go to a range and shoot a variety of guns selcet the one you shoot the best and feels the best buy it
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

First a well placed 22 shot has been known to stop an attacker. I feel good about carrying a 380 however I practice all the time to make sure I can hit what I aim for. What ever you get make sure you practice a lot since you can not break a glass window with a 45 if you can't hit it from 10 feet. Maybe you should consider a 9MM if you want a little more punch.

Keep practicing.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really do like the 1911 platform, and was looking at a RIA Midsize GI, it seems small enough to carry, and big enough to be comfortable. I will continue my testing though, and only buy when I am 100% sure I have found whats right for me.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    First a well placed 22 shot has been known to stop an attacker. I feel good about carrying a 380 however I practice all the time to make sure I can hit what I aim for. What ever you get make sure you practice a lot since you can not break a glass window with a 45 if you can't hit it from 10 feet. Maybe you should consider a 9MM if you want a little more punch.

Keep practicing.
    .22lr is one of my favorite rounds, and If it had more stopping power, it would easily be a no brainer.. I already own a walther P22 and love it, which is what drew me to the PK380

If you are seriously concerned about size, a 3" 1911 with slim grips can disappear incredibly easily. Get a decent holster with a good forward cant and you should have no problems.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

My department doesn't allow anything smaller than a 380 for off duty carry. That said, I carry my duty weapon 95% of the time. (G21). with a good holster and appropriate clothes, I only have been made once(when vehicle shopping and sat unexpectedly), otherwise, never been noticed.
    Last edited by mulle46; November 27th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I don't care for Glock either and currently carry with a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II or Springfield XD-S (both are .45). I'm 6'2/205 for reference, but always felt my Springfield XD-M 9mm Compact was too large.

I carry in a high mount belt holster (Side Guard High Slide or Bianchi Carry Lock).

The S&W Shield is another good recommendation that I've seen posted, I had one of those and it's very easy to carry.

Re: Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

I'll vote with the shield crew on this one. M&P9c isn't too tough to deal with either, except for the trigger (in my opinion). Most of the good single stack guns are fairly easy to conceal. I personally wouldn't get anything smaller than a 9mm though. Several carry the 380 varieties, and that's fine. They are just not for me.

sent via iCarry

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links