Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock. - Page 4

Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

This is a discussion on Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Bersa Thunder 9mm Ultra Compact Pro. It's 13+1 and has a real mild recoil. It's an all metal gun and it's around ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I carry a Bersa Thunder 9mm Ultra Compact Pro. It's 13+1 and has a real mild recoil. It's an all metal gun and it's around $400.00. I've never had a failure of any kind with it.

Thunder UC Pro Series
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaop92 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys, I really do like the 1911 platform, and was looking at a RIA Midsize GI, it seems small enough to carry, and big enough to be comfortable. I will continue my testing though, and only buy when I am 100% sure I have found whats right for me.
    Kimber Solo: (gunamerica review)

When someone tells you that a 17oz. 9mm feels like a 1911, generally you arenít going to believe them. When that someone is Kimber, you kind of have to. This is a company that lives and breaths 1911s, and when you look hard at this little tiny ďSolo Carry 9mmĒ you can see that the grip angle is in fact a direct descendant of the 1911 feel. Only two fingers are going to fit around this little guy, but only two fit around the Colt Mustang 380, so there is precedent.

This is a striker fired gun with an aluminum frame, stainless steel slide and one constant single action trigger pull. Issues like reset and and recoil will have to wait for a full review of the gun, but starting with the fact that it is a Kimber gives you a good idea that it is probably a winner. They donít do a lot wrong. One of the things I like about the gun is that it has an ambidextrous safety and magazine release in the same places that you find them on a 1911. If dropping this safety is as natural as it is on a 1911, all those 1911 fanatics out there will have themselves a new pocket pistol.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

GA
    Sorry I know you don't like glocks but Glocks are super accurate, super reliable wont break the bank and I think have the fastest reset of all . I have a glock 23 along with a lone wolf 9mm barrel ( like having two guns in one) also a glock 26. I like and have owned some colts .45 acp govt model and officers acp their grips are thinner but I think for me anyway the thinner grips tend to make the gun less stabile in your hand.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    In short: "I know you said you don't like Glock, but I recommend a Glock."

Even I'm kind of amazed how long this post took.
    kerberos likes this.

[QUOTE=Devilsclaw;2465718]Your Defender is a sweet gun there Pogo. Ever see a Defender Plus? They quit making them, but I see that Kimber is now making the same thing. My idea of the perfect concealed 1911 style.

Yes, I have seen the Defender Plus, which has a longer frame to take full length 1911 magazines. These are fairly rare, however. I also knew that Defenders were made in .40 caliber in the past. I didn't know there was a 9mm version. I personally prefer the Officer's length frame for concealment purposes, and it is still long enough to accommodate all my fingers on the grip. With a Wilson magazine it will take 7+1 rounds in .45, which is adequate for my purposes. A common complaint about 3 inch 1911s has to do with reliability, feeding and ejection. But I have put over 1000 rounds through my Defender without a single failure to feed or jam on ejection. It also seems to have a very nice trigger and be quite accurate.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Hi, I've been looking around on several websites and researching several different handguns that would be good for my first carry.
    First thing is I'm pretty small (6', 120lbs) so I'm worried about size issues and bulging.
    Second is I dislike Glocks, I know a lot of people recommend them, but they just don't feel right to me, so they're off the table.
    Third is round size, I love the ergonomics of Walther's and was looking at a PK380, but I'm not sure about the stopping power of the .380 and if I would trust my life with it.
    I'm looking for a good all around handgun that will be easy to conceal, have enough stopping power, and be comfortable to carry and shoot for someone my size.

Pricing wise I'm looking to spend under a grand.

Let me know if i'm being unrealistic here lol.. I appreciate the help.
    I'm 5'6" and about 110lbs myself and I carry a Walther PPQ, but it can be a bit bulky at times.. you might want to look at a PPS, or M&P Shield if you want something with a little more power than a .380 (9mm or .40) that's thin, and easily concealed.

Mopar huh? I have a '66 Charger with a 493cc big block, myself. :)

OP - From my experience, the size of handgun you can conceal has more to do with your wardrobe and tolerance for printing, than it does with your physical size.

As Lima pointed out, you can be of small stature and conceal a fairly large handgun - IF you can dress in layers of loose clothing.

On weekends, I've been carrying my Glock 30 lately, in an OWB holster, under an untucked shirt. If I want to be more discreet, I can add a casual fleece vest. A Ruger LCR in the opposite pocket is my secondary.

During the work week, however, I need to be very discreet. Dual pocket carry (LCR on one side, LCP on the other) works better for me in that case.

You'll need to weigh your own particular circumstances. Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Kahr CM9 IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

That isn't a Glock..

Seen you mentioned an RIA.. I got one as my first 1911 and couldn't be happier. It also disappears a lot easier than my Glocks.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I've been shooting most of my life, I'm comfortable with most rounds (Probably most efficient with 9mm, it's what I've had the most experience, but I'm also ok with a .45) with DA/SA is what I would prefer. I love the 1911 platform, but not sure if my size is an issue with concealing one (even the compacts I've held are pretty large). But I've also heard that you should carry a 1911 cocked and locked, and I don't know about the safety problems that presents.
    9MM and 380ACP are basically the same for stopping power. People can debate caliber all day, but any way you look at it a handgun is a handgun and is only as effective as you make it with your training. Anything 9MM/380ACP or larger will be more than sufficient to utilize the full stopping power of the handgun which is used for self-defense. Shoot the largest caliber handgun you are able to handle.

Quality sub-compact single stacks that I looked at were the Beretta Nano, M&P Shield, and Walther PPS.

**sorry if this was already mentioned, I only got to post number 5 before clicking reply.

VIP Member
    Why does everyone say the Shield is a single stack? I have a Shield in 9mm and would call it a stacks me a half. The mag is single stack width at the top and a bit wider lower down to get an extra round in. That having been said, it conceals very easily.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Re: Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

I'm a similar size to you, OP (6' 130lbs), and I experimented with a few things. I tried my Beretta 92 FS in a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB holster at 4:00. It wasn't the width so much as the length of the thing that made it somewhat obvious, especially when I sat down. The muzzle would practically hit the seat before my ass would. Then the grip would be pressed into my back if I sat against a hard-backed seat. Uncomfortable to say the least.

I concluded that pocket carry was the way to go, and haven't looked back since. I carry a S&W 640 Pro in a DeSantis pocket holster in my right front pocket loaded with 158 gr .357. I realize that my distaste with IWB carry may have been exaggerated by my attempt to carry such a huge gun (my only gun at the time) but I can't personally imagine being comfortable with a big lump on my waist when sitting, especially with my (and perhaps your) particular build. I just don't have much padding...

If you're not a revolver guy, there are small, pocket-carryable autos out there. If I were to get another pocket carry gun, it would most likely be a Kahr mk9, but I don't much care for plastic guns. If that's no issue, then either the Kahr cm9 or pm9 is (don't recall which) the poly equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Why does everyone say the Shield is a single stack? I have a Shield in 9mm and would call it a stacks me a half. The mag is single stack width at the top and a bit wider lower down to get an extra round in. That having been said, it conceals very easily.
    I would still call it a single stack, it's just not a perfectly straight line.

FWIW I carry a Taurus PT709. It is my favorite for EDC. Cost about $300. Goes bang every time (1000+ rounds through it).

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    In short: "I know you said you don't like Glock, but I recommend a Glock."

Even I'm kind of amazed how long this post took.
    those of us that have been shooting a while remember when others recommended a Glock, but we resisted for years.....all that time wasted we could have been shooting perfection.
    Just don't want a newbie making the same mistake.
    kerberos and miller_man like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links