Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

This is a discussion on Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I've been looking around on several websites and researching several different handguns that would be good for my first carry. First thing is I'm ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Good first carry for smaller guy that isn't a Glock.

Hi, I've been looking around on several websites and researching several different handguns that would be good for my first carry.
    First thing is I'm pretty small (6', 120lbs) so I'm worried about size issues and bulging.
    Second is I dislike Glocks, I know a lot of people recommend them, but they just don't feel right to me, so they're off the table.
    Third is round size, I love the ergonomics of Walther's and was looking at a PK380, but I'm not sure about the stopping power of the .380 and if I would trust my life with it.
    I'm looking for a good all around handgun that will be easy to conceal, have enough stopping power, and be comfortable to carry and shoot for someone my size.

Pricing wise I'm looking to spend under a grand.

Let me know if i'm being unrealistic here lol.. I appreciate the help.

cj
    First off, what kind of experience have you got? What don't you like about Glocks in particular?

We're in the heydey of powerful concealable options (LC9, M&P Shield, Beretta Nano, Kimber Solo, XDs, the Kahr line, and on and on), but what you've asked really doesn't have enough information to know where you're starting from...if double action or DA/SA would be problematic to you...your experience in handling recoil (a compact .45 might be too much to expect to start with), etc.
    lchamp likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Look into the Sig P938. It's quite small, 9mm. It can be a little snappy in the recoil, but very manageable. The sig P239 is also rather small, but heavy. P239 is my EDC and I'm quite comfortable with it.
    jblives2ride and Curzyk like this.

Senior Moderator
    I'm 5'3" and weigh 97 lbs. I carry either a Glock 19 or 26. That not to say I'm recommending a Glock to you only saying that when it comes to being small and still concealing a firearm, not many people have me beat. It is doable and you don't have to carry a mouse-gun either.
    Take a look at the S&W M&P shield or their 9c. Springfield makes some nice compact firearms, too. Walker has some options but the PPKs wouldn't top my personal preference list but that's me.

If I were you I would be looking for as much capacity as you could get in a package as big as you can comfortably conceal and carry and shoot. Tiny little guns are not going to be comfortable to shoot and you're going to find yourself not wanbhg to practice with them. 9mm is a good caliber, too. cheaper and a decent stopper (as little as a handgun can be anyway).

I've been shooting most of my life, I'm comfortable with most rounds (Probably most efficient with 9mm, it's what I've had the most experience, but I'm also ok with a .45) with DA/SA is what I would prefer. I love the 1911 platform, but not sure if my size is an issue with concealing one (even the compacts I've held are pretty large). But I've also heard that you should carry a 1911 cocked and locked, and I don't know about the safety problems that presents.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaop92 View Post
    I've been shooting most of my life, I'm comfortable with most rounds (Probably most efficient with 9mm, it's what I've had the most experience, but I'm also ok with a .45) with DA/SA is what I would prefer.
    Any particular reason why?

I love the 1911 platform, but not sure if my size is an issue with concealing one (even the compacts I've held are pretty large).
    I carried one for many years. Very doable for small people.
    But I've also heard that you should carry a 1911 cocked and locked, and I don't know about the safety problems that presents.
    None more than any other firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Any particular reason why?
    It's just what I'm used to, but I am open to anything really.

cj
    Ok, this is the point then that I usually recommend finding a good concealed carry class. A good class will walk through considerations about what works, what doesn't, and things to think about before buying. With that, and some interactive consultation, and sometimes even the possibility to get a feel for some different options, you'll be in a better position to make a better informed decision appropriate to you, and not necessarily what a bunch of random people on the internet like.

But if you want that...from what you've said so far, my gut tells me that the Kahr line may be of interest to you, offering compact options in a smooth double action platform. You won't get a 1911 like trigger on it, but having to ask about cocked and locked indicates that some additional training might be ideal before going that route. I'm not as familiar with the compact DA/SA options, so can't give an intelligent thought on those.

As for my personal choice, I am currently going with the M&P Shield Lima mentioned. Very flat and compact, but I'm also extensively familiar with M&Ps...although there may be some glock-like aspects to it you wouldn't like.

Senior Moderator
    It's just what I'm used to, but I am open to anything really.
    Gotcha... I'm not a huge fan of DA/SA for most first-timers. Especially if its a HARD DA like the SIGs. That's not to say that takes SIG off the table. Their SAO guns are very nice and some DA/SA firearms or DAO firearms can be great shooters. HK comes to mind.

Senior Moderator
    Just out of curiosity and to better understand your wants/needs ... you said you've done a lot of shooting. What have you shot and what did you like on not like about what you've experienced?

VIP Member
    In 9mm, the Smith and Wesson Shield is smaller and lighter than the M&P Compact (M&Pc), except that the Shield is .3" taller being a single-stack giving 7+1 rounds whereas the M&P Compact is a stagger-stack giving 12+1 rounds.
    Dimension..............|M&Pc..|Shield.|Differenc
    Overall Length (in.)..|6.7....|6.1....|0.6
    Width (in.).............|1.2....|0.95...|0.25
    Overall Height (in.)..|4.3....|4.6.....|-0.3
    Weight (No Mag oz.)|22.2...|19.....|3.2

I have faith in a smaller round count, but, for my body size, it sounds funny, but I don't think that I could be comfortable with the extra .3" in height across my appendix area. I have never tried the Shield and have smallish hands. Hope this helps.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Op, revolvers not a consideration?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Just out of curiosity and to better understand your wants/needs ... you said you've done a lot of shooting. What have you shot and what did you like on not like about what you've experienced?
    I've shot a few different Glocks in 9mm (havent like the way they've felt or handled) 1911's in .45 (personal favorite) A PPK, P99 (9mm), PK380, Springfield XD, USP .45, Beretta 92fs, Sig P229. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, along with plenty of rifles of course.
    The 1911 was my favorite, I just like the way it feels, shoots and handles, Walther would be my second choice, they are just comfortable to me, The USP was nice but out of the price range. The Springfield and the Sig we're just OK and The Beretta didn't perform the best for me (might have been a lemon?) These are just what I've recently been trying out, I grew up shooting my grandfathers gun's (.22 all the way to .357 magnum) and just have recently got into choosing a CCW because I'm now of legal age lol.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

currently produced guns:

1. Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm or .40S&W

2. Kahr P-9 or CW-9 (9mm); or P-40 or CW-40 (.40S&W)

3. Sig P-239, 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG

Out-of-production guns:

1. S&W 3913 (DA/SA), 3953 (DAO), 908 (DA/SA) (all 9mm - all variations on a theme and similar)

all of the guns listed are slim, single-stack magazine guns. holster carry recommended, although some might fit in a pocket.

I've shot a few different Glocks in 9mm (havent like the way they've felt or handled)
    Were these Gen 4's? If so, try one out with a different back strap as that can make a huge difference. Here is my list of recommendations:

Glock 26, 27, or 36. I know you dislike them, but these 3 are easy to conceal.
    Springfield XD-S .45
    S&W Shield
    Ruger LC9

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links