.22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

This is a discussion on .22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W Airweight J frame .22 mag (Model 351PD) comes to mind. Recoil isn't appreciable. But remember, rimfire revolver trigger-pull is necessarily heavier to assure "finicky" ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

S&W Airweight J frame .22 mag (Model 351PD) comes to mind. Recoil isn't appreciable. But remember, rimfire revolver trigger-pull is necessarily heavier to assure "finicky" rimfire ignition. Don't know if the medical issue has effected your hand strength. And I may be able to provide you some help with Basal Joint Arthritis. My sister was diagnosed but no longer suffers. PM me.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

I owned a Taurus model 94 in 22lr, and could not wait to get rid of it. Cylinder would bind up after 50 rounds, and timing was horrible. I would look at Smith and Wessons 22lr or 22mag revolvers, but steady your wallet, they run $500 and up. Check out S&W Mod 43 Classic 22 LR 1.87" 8rd Syn Grip No Lock B $557.00 SHIPS FREE, or for a lot less money, the charter arms Charter Arms 6 Round 22 Long Rifle Revolver w/2" Barrel & St $305.00 SHIPS FREE
    RJHOLLA likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

A 22 in an auto is a 50-50 proposition. Get a small revolver.
    Carvin66 likes this.

I just stumbled across this blog post which might be useful to you:

Handguns for Handicapped and Very Recoil Sensitive Shooters

Some elderly follks, some handicapped people, and some women can't take much recoil, but still want as much stopping power in a defensive handgun as they can handle and, if possible, some concealability. I have had some experience in this area, being a handicapped shooter myself. If your hands can't control more recoil than delivered by the 9x18 Makarov, .380 ACP, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 ACP or .22 WMR (Magnum), then you don't have the option of more power.
    Last edited by Curzyk; November 27th, 2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added first paragraph excerpt

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Agreed! And let's not dismiss racking the slide. That's a thumb requirement for sure.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sorry to hear about your condition. As I age, I too am noticing some limitations on activities I used to take for granted in my youth. With the development of modern bullet design and ammo loadings, some .22 magnums can be a viable self defense choice. As with any felt recoil discussion, it comes down to physics. You will feel more recoil in a lighter weight handgun, than in a heavier one. For instance, I own and frequently shoot an NAA Mini Revolver; five shots of .22 magnum. There are few, if any, guns smaller than the NAA Mini. When I touch off a round with it, there is a very definite, sharp felt recoil. I put larger rubber grips on mine to absorb some of the recoil. On the other end of the scale is the Kel Tec PMR-30, a full size semi auto pistol, which has 30 round magazines of .22 magnum. I haven't fired one...yet...but imagine it is a very respectful self defense platform. Being full size, it would be easier to manipulate and the recoil would be minimal.

With modern ammo design, there are some manufacturers who are making .22 magnum ammo with improved powder and controlled expansion bullets.
    • CCI makes ammo using the time tested Gold Dot bullet design.
    • Hornady is making .22 magnum ammo using their Critical Defense bullet design and
    • Federal has some impressive .22 mag self defense rounds using TNT bullet design.
    In my admittedly unscientific tests using water jugs and the new ammo, I have achieved 12-15 inches of penetration and full expansion out to about 9mm, from my NAA Mini, with a 1 5/8" barrel. The performance from a full size PMR-30 with it's 4.3" barrel can only be much better. The PMR has received some good reviews and is definitely on my "gotta get one" list.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    this. and rimfire cartridges alone are often problematic no matter what type gun is used in my experience.

I'd use a 22 for SD but only after exhausting all the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Agreed! And let's not dismiss racking the slide. That's a thumb requirement for sure.
    Not necessarily. There is more than one way to rack a slide, and the sling-shot method is one of them. Another method is to place the palm of the support hand over the slide and push in opposite direction. Works well for those with hand problems, or those with lesser grip strength.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    this. and rimfire cartridges alone are often problematic no matter what type gun is used in my experience.

I'd use a 22 for SD but only after exhausting all the alternatives.
    From the jest of the post, it sounds like he has exhausted alot of other alternatives.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    From the jest of the post, it sounds like he has exhausted alot of other alternatives.
    that's what it sounds like to me as well.

I have a Taurus 22 PLY that has been 100% reliable with CCI Minimags, Stingers and Velocitors. It is quite small but has a thick comfortable grip and is easy to shoot. It also has a tip up barrel that eliminates the need to rack the slide. Ten Velocitors or Stingers would definitely discourage an attack. I also own an NAA Black Widow in 22wmr. Both have seen duty as back up to my main carry.
    bunker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
    I have a Taurus 22 PLY that has been 100% reliable with CCI Minimags, Stingers and Velocitors...
    Through how many rounds? 100% reliablilty with no FTF/FTE is possible, even probable, but inherent rimfire short-comings & the laws of statistics giggle & elbow each other in the ribs when folks start throwing around 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    My hand is quite damaged from "Basal Joint Artritis" joint between your thumb and wrist bone, I see a Hand Surgeon and many things are a "?" for my gun future (It's in the other hand also but not as bad.

I'm been thinking of low caliber guns that still have a reasonable chance for Stopping. Hence the 2 Mag question.

I've never shot one so am I ignorant of the recoil - maybe someone give me idea of it.

How effective is the round for CCW? I know it's no 45acp

Last, what the best, most reliable handgun in 22 mag. Is the Automag II any good, i'd like a semi-auto for that round.

The Kel Tec is out, my area can only use 10rd mags, and they don't make them.

Thanks for any info
    I too have some problems with arthritis in my hands that make it difficult to handle a handgun at times, particularly racking the slide on a semi auto. If you can't find a 22 mag that suits your needs and have to go with a 22 LR, I would agree with those who suggested the Ruger SR22. It is remarkably easy to rack the slide on that gun, even with pain in your hands ( I believe even a small child could do it ). It is a very reliable pistol with the right ammo but is very unforgiving of light or under powered loads ( which seems to be something common to even the best 22 LR ammo ), causing the slide to retract far enough to eject the spent case but not far enough to pick up and feed the next round out of the magazine. When this happens, the slide returns to battery without feeding a round into the chamber, causing the next pull of the trigger to result in a click instead of a bang. Immediately racking the slide puts the gun back into action.

I have fired in excess of 1000 rounds through my SR22 and this is the only type of malfunction I have ever experienced with it ( probably about 10 times in 1000+ rounds ). If you think you can live with the possibility of that happening, the SR22 might serve you well. My experience with rimfire revolvers is that they usually have heavy double action trigger pulls so they may not work well for you. A possible exception ( from what I have heard and read - no personal experience ) might be the Ruger LCR 22 LR. If I found the trigger on that gun to be acceptable, I would choose it instead of the SR22.

Good luck. I hope you come back and let us know what you decided.

Regards
    Nathan
    Carvin66 likes this.

I found a Beretta Model 86 for my Mom (.380, tilt-barrel). Her hands couldn't rack a slide nor comfortably pull a DA revolver trigger stroke all the way through. It's big/heavy enough to negate most of the recoil but (IMHO) a bit more effective & reliable than a rimfire. It's a pussycat to shoot.

Administrator
    Suggestion: I think you are really on the wrong track in shopping for a .22 Magnum semi handgun for self defense.

Were I you...I would shop around for a S&W Model 52 semi-automatic.

It is an ULTRA high quality full size semi auto designed to function reliably with target .38 Wadcutter ammunition.

The recoil is extremely incredibly mild.

You can even lessen that by adding a recoil absorbing rubber grip but, you really shouldn't need one.

By shopping for one of those you eliminate the ejection problems in a .22 mag semi-auto. You GAIN the reliability of a center fire. Buy Match Grade ammo. You GAIN bullet diameter but naturally lose velocity.

The mild .38 wadcutters will not have fantastic penetration but the Model 52 is SO accurate that good bullet placement will be a breeze.

The down side is that since the gun is slightly vintage - Magazines will be fairly expensive. AKA Typically $75. to $100. per magazine.

You will need to practice reloads because magazine capacity is 5 rounds due to the rimmed cartridge case of the .38 ammo.

Another plus though is that it is a highly desirable firearm that will maintain its resale value.

The felt recoil from this handgun will be LESS snappy than a .22 Magnum in a small revolver and less than a .380 in a small semi-auto.

Here is a Gunbroker auction that you can check out to view the pistol.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=318938582

You can (if necessary) get even milder recoiling ammo than shown in this video. But, you can see how absolutely TAME this handgun is.

And this is such a FUN gun to shoot - you will be able to actually ENJOY practicing your shooting.

This handgun is so doggone ergonomic. It was specifically designed for comp shooters to practice with this pistol all day long. Sometimes 8 hours a day non stop without suffering hand fatigue. It is a classic handgun.

Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links