.22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag - Page 3

.22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

This is a discussion on .22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you do choose a rimfire, test your ammo for reliability . A good match load should give you a better chance at positive primer ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

Lead Moderator
    If you do choose a rimfire, test your ammo for reliability . A good match load should give you a better chance at positive primer ignition.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    A Smith and Wesson 52 would be great, but expensive and hard to find.

Also, a S&W 351, which is a .22 magnum snubnose is fine. Speer and Hornaday are making defensive loads for .22 magnum that perform just under .380 ACP or so in gel. If you have finger issues, then you will probably need to have a good trigger job done on it, as J-frame triggers are heavy, and a rimfire one more so.

Another option might be a S&W 640 or 60- stainless steel J-frames- loaded with 148-gr. .38 Special wadcutters, which are extremely light-recoiling.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    I just stumbled across this blog post which might be useful to you:

Handguns for Handicapped and Very Recoil Sensitive Shooters
    That's a great resource. Thank you very much.
    Curzyk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
    I have a Taurus 22 PLY that has been 100% reliable with CCI Minimags, Stingers and Velocitors. It is quite small but has a thick comfortable grip and is easy to shoot. It also has a tip up barrel that eliminates the need to rack the slide. Ten Velocitors or Stingers would definitely discourage an attack. I also own an NAA Black Widow in 22wmr. Both have seen duty as back up to my main carry.
    Yes I've seen this - thought the recoil could be a problem in a small gun. But you seem not to think so. Good!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Suggestion: I think you are really on the wrong track in shopping for a .22 Magnum semi handgun for self defense.

Were I you...I would shop around for a S&W Model 52 semi-automatic.

It is an ULTRA high quality full size semi auto designed to function reliably with target .38 Wadcutter ammunition.

The recoil is extremely incredibly mild.

You can even lessen that by adding a recoil absorbing rubber grip but, you really shouldn't need one.

By shopping for one of those you eliminate the ejection problems in a .22 mag semi-auto. You GAIN the reliability of a center fire. Buy Match Grade ammo. You GAIN bullet diameter but naturally lose velocity.

The mild .38 wadcutters will not have fantastic penetration but the Model 52 is SO accurate that good bullet placement will be a breeze.

The down side is that since the gun is slightly vintage - Magazines will be fairly expensive. AKA Typically $75. to $100. per magazine.

You will need to practice reloads because magazine capacity is 5 rounds due to the rimmed cartridge case of the .38 ammo.

Another plus though is that it is a highly desirable firearm that will maintain its resale value.

The felt recoil from this handgun will be LESS snappy than a .22 Magnum in a small revolver and less than a .380 in a small semi-auto.

Here is a Gunbroker auction that you can check out to view the pistol.

S&W Model 52, 38 Spl, Mid-Range Wadcutter : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

You can (if necessary) get even milder recoiling ammo than shown in this video. But, you can see how absolutely TAME this handgun is.

And this is such a FUN gun to shoot - you will be able to actually ENJOY practicing your shooting.

This handgun is so doggone ergonomic. It was specifically designed for comp shooters to practice with this pistol all day long. Sometimes 8 hours a day non stop without suffering hand fatigue. It is a classic handgun.

Wow, seems like shooting a BB Gun! I had Buffalo bore 38 special hardened wadcutters for my Colt Detective - I love that gun but it really hurts even the somewhat bad hand when shooting. Too bad, an old friend...

I wonder if those buffalo bore would fit the 52, they are brutal SD rounds with official penetration of 16" but some have posted gelatin tests of up to 23" penetration.

That's a great idea, the 52, I'll check around and special thanks for including video to see it's recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    I too have some problems with arthritis in my hands that make it difficult to handle a handgun at times, particularly racking the slide on a semi auto. If you can't find a 22 mag that suits your needs and have to go with a 22 LR, I would agree with those who suggested the Ruger SR22. It is remarkably easy to rack the slide on that gun, even with pain in your hands ( I believe even a small child could do it ). It is a very reliable pistol with the right ammo but is very unforgiving of light or under powered loads ( which seems to be something common to even the best 22 LR ammo ), causing the slide to retract far enough to eject the spent case but not far enough to pick up and feed the next round out of the magazine. When this happens, the slide returns to battery without feeding a round into the chamber, causing the next pull of the trigger to result in a click instead of a bang. Immediately racking the slide puts the gun back into action.

I have fired in excess of 1000 rounds through my SR22 and this is the only type of malfunction I have ever experienced with it ( probably about 10 times in 1000+ rounds ). If you think you can live with the possibility of that happening, the SR22 might serve you well. My experience with rimfire revolvers is that they usually have heavy double action trigger pulls so they may not work well for you. A possible exception ( from what I have heard and read - no personal experience ) might be the Ruger LCR 22 LR. If I found the trigger on that gun to be acceptable, I would choose it instead of the SR22.

Good luck. I hope you come back and let us know what you decided.

Regards
    Nathan
    Thanks for your story of your suffering and pluggin on. Guess we can try moving forward and hope for the best. Best of luck and thanks again to you. You are a good role model for me.

Much Thanks!

You are all very nice to come up with so many practical ideas and even more, understanding of how threatening it is have the use of your hands in doubt.

There is a great article here, I think a MUST-READ that is all about checking the fit of a gun before you buy. Ones, like 2 of mine in high caliber, were a little too long and to compensate the axis of the gun (and recoil) moves from the very center of the "V" formed if you put your thumb and forefinger straight out. So instead of recoil going into center of your hand from that webbed area between thumb and forefinger: the recoil hits diretcly against the thumb joint, hammering the thumb bone into the joint again and again. If you have arthritis there to begin (which I did but never felt) then your shooting is doing all this to diseased bone. A real mess.

How to avoid this at the start: Trying On a Handgun | Cornered Cat

For anyone who might want to know, I post the result of my meeting with hand surgeon today.

And ALL: sincere thanks again

"Bad Hands' Outcome with Hand Surgeon For Any Interested.

Hand Surgeon I met with today had read the MRI and essentially said that joint is all messed up between thumb and wrist, the Basal Thumb Joint (on my dominant hand - rt hand). This I posted about already; very bad arthritis with injury from shooting triggering the blow-up I had, thumb-bone is out of place, joint now deformed. No surgery now, steroid injections and splint use - and if no relief in a year then they offer surgery on those affected. And he gave me a cortisone injection into the joint today. That can work like magic. And quick. Doesn't repair damage though.

Other hand, same joint is bone on bone, no cartilage left. But not deformed.

No shooting with dominant hand, the real bad one, but I asked him about my left hand and he said "Go for it!" I'll see using low caliber guns. I shot a 9mm with little recoil off-hand, about 20 rounds, and I did have pain after. But the new hand splints I wear on both hands regularly that I was given today look like perfect "gloves" for this condition, thick neoprene material and a strap that goes right between the thumb and forefinger where hilt of gun rests. This may help with the left hand shooting low-cal guns.

The Doctor had a great sense of humor and seems to really know what he's doing. And he has a great reputation in my area.

Thanks all for all your support about this suddenly appearing condition. When I asked about why I never felt arthritis the reply was some don't but the S&W 45acp I had just shot for the first time "was the trigger that chased the cat out of the bag, and once the cat is out it won't be going back in".

It seems a common condition among shooters, and is common to begin with for everyone.

So, heads up.

Thanks Again! "
    darbo likes this.

Have you ever considered the .32 ACP?

There are quite a few guns chambered for it, the recoil is almost non-existent in a middle weighted firearm.

.22LR & Mag are pretty darn effective out of a rifle...not so much out of a short barreled hand gun, the velocity drop is dramatic. Not to mention rimfire will always be less reliable than a cente fire round.

I would find a .32 ACP firearm of your choice and carry FMJ rounds in it only. I consider this to be the absolute bare minimum I would consider carrying for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    For a self defense handgun in a rimfire cartridge, I would not trust ignition enough to use anything but a revolver. This is especially true if your arthritis impacts your ability to run a semi auto. A decent .22 Mag revolver in a normal weight (not Airweight) should have very little recoil.

As far as stopping power - *yawn* - a handgun is a handgun. Rule #1 is to have one that you can handle. If that is a .22 Mag or even a .22 LR, then so be it.
    I totally agree with 10th. Go with a revolver. To many potential feeding and ignition problems with a rim fire cartridge in a semi auto.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I bought one:

Well, defying all logic of finances I bought an FN Five-Seven tonight at local Gander Mt. I liked the idea of the gun both for range and maybe occasional CCW. I CCW now two guns, lower caliber but even in the good hand I can't shoot without pain. I know that hand pain would likely be in the rear of your consciousness if in a life/death crisis. Still, who knows, could also throw your one shot off before the BG has got you.I bought it tonight because I had Gander check with their distributor, who last week had about 10 Five-Sevens in stock - only place anyone could get one. They've dried up for 3 or 4 months. But Gander said none were left on distributors site, so this was the last. So, I bought the last one I knew I'd see for months. And they were being truthful. I had my range owner who sells some guns check the distributors' site after, and, there weren't any Five-Sevens

But, lord, $1200 and non-cheap ammo, I can get a box of 50 for $24-$26 at my range. It's doable - I also will drop a lot in ammo costs, aside from the .22 right now, I buy no 9mm, 38sp (for 2 Colt snubs I have) and forget 45. I have a Python but I shoot that rarely, though that has no great recoil with its weight, superb balance and the Pachy-grips it had on when I bought it. Who knows, sometime in future I'll try a few shots with my "good" hand. I'll keep the Python even if they take off my arms. So, I likely will save the $1200 in ammo in a year. And I'll sell my S&W 625JM (after Jerry Miculek, famed revolver shooter who designed the gun for S&W.)

And I'll sell The Sig P220 45acp Elite Stainless I got about 6 months ago, that's a shame, a great gun. Never a failure for even one shot since I bought it.

So, I'll shoot the FN in a few days and give you a report. I pray it as light-recoil as they say and as it looks in videos shooting. Otherwise, take a look at a discounted FN Five-SeveN on Member's Sales Forum here in two weeks. I trust it will be OK though.

So thanks for all your great suggestions and helpful spirit - I am deeply appreciative that men I don't even know would be so kind to someone having difficulties. Leaves a wonderful and positive feeling with me. Again, great thanks.
    There ARE good people in the world.
    gvf
    Curzyk, Carvin66 and darbo like this.

VIP Member
    Glad you found seething that will work. Give us a range report when you have the chance to get your new gun to the range.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Detective,
    Glad to hear you may have a solution to your problem.
    I can get a box of 50 for $24-$26 at my range.
    Not sure if component 5.7 bullets are available for handloading, but it they are, I'd consider starting a new hobby....handloading. Even if component bullets aren't available now, I'd save your brass in the hope that someday the bullets will be available.

I wish you good health. I hope your solution works or come up with something else that works for you. Good luck Detective. Keep us posted.

Post Taurus .17 caliber revolver

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    My hand is quite damaged from "Basal Joint Artritis" joint between your thumb and wrist bone, I see a Hand Surgeon and many things are a "?" for my gun future (It's in the other hand also but not as bad.

I'm been thinking of low caliber guns that still have a reasonable chance for Stopping. Hence the 2 Mag question.

I've never shot one so am I ignorant of the recoil - maybe someone give me idea of it.

How effective is the round for CCW? I know it's no 45acp

Last, what the best, most reliable handgun in 22 mag. Is the Automag II any good, i'd like a semi-auto for that round.

The Kel Tec is out, my area can only use 10rd mags, and they don't make them.

Thanks for any info

Please see the attached photo of the Taurus .17 caliber revolver. It uses a necked down version of the .22 WMR and is a high velocity low recoil firearm designed for self defense. The ammo costs more, but I would think it's worth it in your situation. God bless you my friend.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by twistyseaway View Post
    Please see the attached photo of the Taurus .17 caliber revolver. It uses a necked down version of the .22 WMR and is a high velocity low recoil firearm designed for self defense. The ammo costs more, but I would think it's worth it in your situation. God bless you my friend.
    Can't see where the .17 buys anything at all over a .22WMR. That Taurus is a BIG heavy piece. Neither the .22 Mag nor the .17 is going to have any felt recoil at all, to speak of, but with the .17, you'd be giving up 1/3 of the KE and about 40% of the frontal area. Am I missing something?

Regards,
    Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links