.22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag - Page 4

.22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

This is a discussion on .22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gary T Detective, Glad to hear you may have a solution to your problem. Not sure if component 5.7 bullets are available ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Detective,
    Glad to hear you may have a solution to your problem.

Not sure if component 5.7 bullets are available for handloading, but it they are, I'd consider starting a new hobby....handloading. Even if component bullets aren't available now, I'd save your brass in the hope that someday the bullets will be available.
    I have no space to handload in the small space I live and I'm not sure there is equipment for this weird ammo.

The FN Five-SeveN is by far the weirdest gun I have ever owned - or held in my hand (still haven't shot it yet, I will over the weekend). First off it is fairly ugly - (honesty being the best policy) - but also it looks like a Mattel gun, and is so light that when you hold it you expect to see some place you put the caps, like I used on my toy guns when I was 7. The colored "plastic" controls increase this illusion. It looks and feels like it cost $12 to manufacture. Seriously.

But when I broke it down for the initial cleaning and lube, the guts of the gun - looking down at the receiver - look like a large wind-up watch, MANY small weird parts, looks quite complicated.

If this gun shoots well and won't hurt my hands it will be its only virtue, but right now that would be great for me. I'll post after I shoot.

I've always thought they were a little weird, too - but hopefully it'll turn out to be just what you needed.

Never shot one, but they've certainly got a reputation for light recoil, and the grip size should be a plus for you. No question that it's a pretty effective cartridge, too.

Congrats on your purchase - more so if you find you really like it!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I've always thought they were a little weird, too - but hopefully it'll turn out to be just what you needed.

Never shot one, but they've certainly got a reputation for light recoil, and the grip size should be a plus for you. No question that it's a pretty effective cartridge, too.

Congrats on your purchase - more so if you find you really like it!

Regards,
    Jim
    I shot it tonight first time and the recoil - while stronger than a .22 - did not hurt either hand, including the very bad dominant rt hand. However, I'll run by the Doc further use of that hand. I also found an easier way to shoot the off-hand and not have to make it one-handed due to problems with the other: the "cup and saucer grip" non-shooting hand under the gun giving it a "platform" to steady it. Still feels really odd shooting with the non-dominant hand but I can get reasonable accuracy with that grip and not involve the bad thumb joint.

The gun has a real loud crack, which makes you feel the recoil is more than it is, but I watched my hand when firing and there is little movement. I also wore my hand splints which puts a lot of neoprene thick material as a cushion between the hand and back of the gun's hilt, which I believe soaks up most of the recoil - in that way they make excellent shooting gloves.

I like the gun itself, and the little recoil (likely between a .22 and what folks describe as .380 recoil - which I don't know, shot one but a long time ago. Anyway, in that ballpark.) Mostly due to my hand condition, I'd like a bit smoother trigger pull, and I think FN may do this for more bucks of course; it's SA and I have to use a bit of pressure from my thumb on the hilt to get past the initial trigger resistance. I'll check into FN smoothing trigger.

Quite odd but feels OK: the manual safety lever on the Five-Seven is mid-way along the length of the gun and ambidextrous. You move it with the forefinger/trigger- finger. Doesn't seem to take longer or screw up finger placement on the trigger, so fine here - and easier than using my thumb with a damaged joint.

Gun feels powerful - and I think the two slightly different rounds I shot are somewhere around 2000 fps and the rounds look like rifle bullets though shorter and not anywhere as large in circumference. One has a "plastic" point on top. Don't know why. Weird..

Expensive but not outrageous at my range, about $25 for either type per 50-box, they really are only about 10% more than 45acp so you can shoot it with regularity.

So, I generally like it and am so happy I can shoot it without pain. (I shot just under a box tonight which is average for me with a particular round). If not it would have been a loss of a hunk of money and the pain-in- the-A. of selling. (and also would have been very discouraging).

That's my initial shooting report if interested!
    darbo likes this.

Detective, thanks for that range report on an interesting gun. And thank you for putting a bit of yourself into this electric conversation and showing us your way to adapt and overcome, a service to us all.
    detective likes this.

the Taurus .17 caliber revolver. It uses a necked down version of the .22 WMR and is a high velocity low recoil firearm designed for self defense.
    Uh......not really........ Neither of the available 17 rimfire cartridges (17 HMR and 17 Mach 2) are designed for self defense......unless one includes self defense against charging ground squirrels and such. I shot both of these rounds this summer on a ground squirrel hunt and the ammo protected me well.

I know you said that the Keltec PMR-30 is out, but I wonder if they can modify the magazine or will be planning on offering magazines with 10 round limit for states that require it ??? I guess you can contact them and ask. Does not hurt to try ??? The PMR-30 weighs only about 15 ounces. God Bless

Zombie resurrection.

This subject piqued my interest. I was getting some shoes at a local sporting goods store, and saw a 22 revolver for sale. It was the Taurus 922 with the convertible 22 LR/WMR.

Needless to say, I brought it home with me. I'm going to teach my daughter how to shoot it. It's 6.5" with a 9 round capacity. The trigger feels very good for an inexpensive revolver.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Get a Ruger Single Six or Single Ten convertible for .22 LR and .22 Mag. No recoil from either and a tank of a gun at a good price point.

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Zombie resurrection.

This subject piqued my interest. I was getting some shoes at a local sporting goods store, and saw a 22 revolver for sale. It was the Taurus 922 with the convertible 22 LR/WMR.

Needless to say, I brought it home with me. I'm going to teach my daughter how to shoot it. It's 6.5" with a 9 round capacity. The trigger feels very good for an inexpensive revolver.
    I bought one of the very same, only in 4" blue, simply because I'd never seen such a thing before. Push button switch-eroo, pretty cool. Anyway, mine is a fantastic shooter, only the point of impact between the 2 rounds changes almost 3" at 25 yards, with the 22WMR shooting the highest. And after about 50 rounds or so, it starts to feel like the cylinder is binding. This is because the tolerances are quite tight, and kernels of unburned powder get under the extractor star and don't let it seat completely. When I start feeling resistance, I just raise the extractor and give it a quick brushing, and all is well :)
    CDRGlock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The .22 magnum is a great round, but it is difficult to get it to function safely and reliably in autoloading weapons. A few big-name manufacturers have launched .22 mag autoloading rifles, only to discontinue them after brief runs (Ruger 10/22 comes to mind), so as of today I believe there are only low-volume, specialty manufacturers offering them. The same is true for .22 mag auto pistols, in spades. AMT actually put a lot of good engineering into the AutoMag II, but unrelated lawsuits put them out of business and I'm not sure if anyone makes that gun under a different name today. The Kel-Tec is probably the only current pistol offering, but it's been out less than a year so it remains to be seen if that will last in the market any longer than its predecessors. Back to the AutoMag II, it's a large gun (I think my 1911s are more compact) and the used ones I've seen command a pretty stiff price.

So that leaves revolvers in .22 magnum. Allow me to skip single actions (Ruger and North American Arms), which leaves Charter Arms, Taurus and Smith & Wesson as the current offerings in .22 mag. Among those you have some choices as to capacity, size and weight, the latter ranging from 10 ounces up to 3 pounds! I suggest you look over what's available and handle as many as you can.
    Wow, I just looked at Smith's site, that is some serious cash for a 22 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Can't see where the .17 buys anything at all over a .22WMR. That Taurus is a BIG heavy piece. Neither the .22 Mag nor the .17 is going to have any felt recoil at all, to speak of, but with the .17, you'd be giving up 1/3 of the KE and about 40% of the frontal area. Am I missing something?

Regards,
    Jim
    You lose frontal area but, albeit may not make a difference in a hand gun, the 17HMR hits out of a rifle much harder and much flatter than a 22Mag. I've killed 30lb badgers with it at 50 yards with one shot and it absolutely DEVASTATED the internals, can't remember a single time a 22Mag has been a one shot stop on a badger or a coon for that matter without perfect shot placement. The round is a much better killer than the 22Mag IME.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links