.22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

This is a discussion on .22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My hand is quite damaged from "Basal Joint Artritis" joint between your thumb and wrist bone, I see a Hand Surgeon and many things are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

.22 Mag.: Recoil? + Effectiveness AND Which Gun Is The Best 22 Mag

My hand is quite damaged from "Basal Joint Artritis" joint between your thumb and wrist bone, I see a Hand Surgeon and many things are a "?" for my gun future (It's in the other hand also but not as bad.

I'm been thinking of low caliber guns that still have a reasonable chance for Stopping. Hence the 2 Mag question.

I've never shot one so am I ignorant of the recoil - maybe someone give me idea of it.

How effective is the round for CCW? I know it's no 45acp

Last, what the best, most reliable handgun in 22 mag. Is the Automag II any good, i'd like a semi-auto for that round.

The Kel Tec is out, my area can only use 10rd mags, and they don't make them.

Thanks for any info

2. Remove Ads

For a self defense handgun in a rimfire cartridge, I would not trust ignition enough to use anything but a revolver. This is especially true if your arthritis impacts your ability to run a semi auto. A decent .22 Mag revolver in a normal weight (not Airweight) should have very little recoil.

As far as stopping power - *yawn* - a handgun is a handgun. Rule #1 is to have one that you can handle. If that is a .22 Mag or even a .22 LR, then so be it.
    Rollo, Kilowatt3 and Hopyard like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

If you are going to look for a .22LR take a look at the Ruger SR22.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Ok, I'll bite on the chance you actually are serious and want/need help.

Can't imagine a .22 Mag being a concern with regard to recoil.

Are you affected in both hands? If not, maybe just use your other hand?

.22's are pretty notorious for not feeding in mags over 10 rounds, that's why it is uncommon to see them. The rim catches if loaded backwards, and the thickness of the rim requires a curvature that presents a problem in a handgun if you go over 10 rounds.

Automag? really? you just never know on these forums

Seconds on the Ruger SR22.
    TodaysBushcraft likes this.

VIP Member
    Hmmm. The only thing I can find on Automag doing a Google search is 30 caliber. Don't think that is what you had in mind.

I agree with the suggestion that a 22 Magnum Revolver would be a better bet than an auto loader for the reason the other
    poster gave about rimfire reliability.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The .22 magnum is a great round, but it is difficult to get it to function safely and reliably in autoloading weapons. A few big-name manufacturers have launched .22 mag autoloading rifles, only to discontinue them after brief runs (Ruger 10/22 comes to mind), so as of today I believe there are only low-volume, specialty manufacturers offering them. The same is true for .22 mag auto pistols, in spades. AMT actually put a lot of good engineering into the AutoMag II, but unrelated lawsuits put them out of business and I'm not sure if anyone makes that gun under a different name today. The Kel-Tec is probably the only current pistol offering, but it's been out less than a year so it remains to be seen if that will last in the market any longer than its predecessors. Back to the AutoMag II, it's a large gun (I think my 1911s are more compact) and the used ones I've seen command a pretty stiff price.

So that leaves revolvers in .22 magnum. Allow me to skip single actions (Ruger and North American Arms), which leaves Charter Arms, Taurus and Smith & Wesson as the current offerings in .22 mag. Among those you have some choices as to capacity, size and weight, the latter ranging from 10 ounces up to 3 pounds! I suggest you look over what's available and handle as many as you can.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    If you are going to look for a .22LR take a look at the Ruger SR22.
    ^^^+1 on this nice gun. Very low recoil. Mags are easy to load.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Hmmm. The only thing I can find on Automag doing a Google search is 30 caliber. Don't think that is what you had in mind...
    I agree with the suggestion that a 22 Magnum Revolver would be a better bet than an auto loader for the reason the other poster gave about rimfire reliability.
    The AutoMag II is a .22 WMR. High Standard re-introduced it a few years back, after AMT went under. Not sure if they are still making it.

The .22 WMR is a problem child in a semi-auto. Dunno if the new Kel-Tec has all the bugs worked out, but I agree that a revolver is the way to go for a .22 Mag.

To the OP - have you checked out any of the .32 Magnums (H&R or Federal)? I have no direct experience with them, but they're said to offer good performance with minimal recoil (particularly the H&R). A gun chambered for either of those calibers could also shoot .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long, with reduced recoil.

Regards,
    Jim

I don't know anything about the .22 Mag other than what gasmitty had to offer - it and the necked-down cartridge based on it (.17HMR) have been very much problematic for semi-auto rifle manufacturers.

What I wil say is that there is more to recoil than just which round you are firing. A light pistol firing a small round can have just as much objectionable recoil as a heavy pistol firing a larger round.

I'd say look at relatively low-energy rounds being fired from relatively heavy guns that have big grips (lots of area to spread out the recoil). That may help to reduce the felt recoil and thus cut back on the issues for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Ok, I'll bite on the chance you actually are serious and want/need help.

Can't imagine a .22 Mag being a concern with regard to recoil.

Are you affected in both hands? If not, maybe just use your other hand?

.22's are pretty notorious for not feeding in mags over 10 rounds, that's why it is uncommon to see them. The rim catches if loaded backwards, and the thickness of the rim requires a curvature that presents a problem in a handgun if you go over 10 rounds.

Automag? really? you just never know on these forums
    Seriously?! The man comes on here telling of his medical problems with his hands, with a real possibility he might not be able shoot any more and what you have for him is your condesceding attitude and comments. Did you even bother to read his post. He said the condition affects both hands. Of couse you can't imagine the recoil of a .22mag being a concern but then I'm sure you can't imagine suffering the pain and discomfort this man is living with. And I'm sure you can't imagine the chance you may not get to shoot pistols again because all of this is way beneath you. You're right, "you just never know on these forums."

You should be ashamed of yourself.

PS: if my response is a problem with the forum kick me off.
    Kilowatt3, ws76133, sigs and 11 others like this.

Taurus makes a reasonably priced .22 mag revolver......Model 941 I believe. 8 Shot cyclinder......might give that one a look. I had a similar .22LR model years ago and it worked just fine.
    I would also recommend a pair of weight lifting gloves with padding to dampen the felt recoil to your hands. Even a .22 Magnum might do more damage....you be careful.

recoil appears to be fairly tame...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ntf3C98O3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u839T...ture=endscreen
    Last edited by zonker1986; November 27th, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
    darbo, tkruf and tdave like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have the Taurus 941 Ultra-lite (22 WMR).
    It's a very nice little pistol, but it needs (in my opinion) a good going over by a pistolsmith.
    All of the internals are roughly finished, and need polishing (for a smoother action).
    The springs can be modified and replaced within reason, recognizing that you need a stronger strike from the hammer compared to a centerfire cartridge.
    Hornady and Winchester both make some very good self-defense ammo for this pistol, and both are readily available.

I sure wouldn't want to be shot by one!

A Glock may be the best compromise between power and felt recoil.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Charter Arms makes a couple 22mag revolvers just google Charter Arms and you can see all the specs. Ruger LCR in 22lr is nice and has a great trigger.

Good luck with your problem. Rich
    Carvin66 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links