642 J frame issue

642 J frame issue

This is a discussion on 642 J frame issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I went to the range I had my 13-4 on my hip and my 642 in my pocket. I figured since I realistically have ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By camsdaddy

Thread: 642 J frame issue

642 J frame issue

Today I went to the range I had my 13-4 on my hip and my 642 in my pocket. I figured since I realistically have my 642 in my pocket quite often I would start from there. I had already loaded it with the range ammo I had brought which was Federal 130 fmj. I pulled the gun and fired and on the third shot the trigger didnt return. I tried to release the cylinder and it wouldnt. I shot a few other guns but then my concern overcome me. On the hood of my Jeep I took apart my 642 only to find out the small spring in the trigger that holds the arm that rotates the cylinder had come loose. While trying to get the cylinder to release I noticed the pin that holds the hammer in rolled down the hood. Of course the range is a sand pit and even though I searched I never found it. I came home looking for diagram to see what is missing or if something broke and other than the hammer pin I think its all there. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Does anyone have a parts diagram? I realize this probably wasnt an ammo issue but the only other issue I have ever had with a 642 was shooting 158 LSWCHP+p and it would shake the lead out to a point the cylinder wouldnt rotate.

VIP Member
    10thmtn and Old School like this.

Brownells has parts diagrams. Numrich is another site with schematics. I'm sure you can find others. Google is your friend.

I would get a book with instructions for taking apart S&W revolvers. Then change out all the springs and do a good inspection. Read the manual and follow instructions, it isn't hard. The one I used is "THE S&W REVOLVER, A Shop Manual" written by Jerry Kuhnhausen.
    NRA Life Member

I have actually googled the schematic and all I find is the one that Brownells has. Unfortunately that isnt a 642. The gun in the pic shows a hammer mounted firing pin and the one I have not only has an enclosed hammer but I think its held in differently all together. I do appreciate the help though I will check his thread.

Actually not only do I remember the post I also remember thinking who in the world can mess up a j frame. I admit it was funnier when it was him.
    BamaT likes this.

The 2 below YouTubes are about installing the J-Frame Duty/Carry Spring Kit however it might help you. Also you might want to purchase the kit. I did and it lessens the trigger pull and also makes it smoother.
    J-Frame Disassembly.mpg - YouTube

J-Frame Assembly - YouTube

The J-Frame Duty/Carry Spring Kit
    https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid49.html
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    The back of the manual has a parts diagram.

Sponsored Links