Charter arms revolvers

This is a discussion on Charter arms revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bunker I purchased a new stainless Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special this summer in preparation for winter carry. I just ordered some ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Charter arms revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I purchased a new stainless Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special this summer in preparation for winter carry. I just ordered some new carry ammo, and plan on carry it now that big winter jackets are being used. So far i love the gun, and is not much larger or heavier than my J frames.
    I just recently purchased my Bulldog, as well.

This gun ROCKS! Also, I use it in the same holster as my Mag Pug.

bulldog3.jpg

My Bulldog falls into the category of: "How did I ever live without this gun?"
    sioux565, GentlemanJim and 03 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    I just recently purchased my Bulldog, as well.

This gun ROCKS! Also, I use it in the same holster as my Mag Pug.

bulldog3.jpg

My Bulldog falls into the category of: "How did I ever live without this gun?"
    I really like that gun but could live without the grips. Does anyone make wood boot grips for it?

Jim
    03 likes this.

Yep! Have had a CA Bulldog Pug .44 special 4 years now. Have Crimson Trace Laser grips on it. Also have a Kramer Gunleather pocket holster and a Kramer belt holster as well. Have a gun safe mounted to the frame of the Ford Ranger cab where I store it while at work. I have other pistol/revolvers, but the bulldog is the only one that fits in my pocket and carries such a HUGE projectile. It's not the most expensive steel I have, or the most notable name brand, but it's the one I always conceal carry. Even when camping out at the lake while trotlining, I choose the big bore snubby, because of the gigantic wild boar that are out there.

GentlemanJim, get you some Crimson Trace Laser grips for that pocket cannon. I did. They come with lifetime free battery replacement.

lowercase, the CA Bulldog Pug is the BEST pocket cannon that was ever made. Yes, it does rock. And can fire a plethora of different munitions.
    lowercase likes this.

The bulldog .44 is the one I carry religiously. I fam fire occasionally with it using Magtech cowboy action. But for personal defense munitions, I go with Grizzly 260 grain, 1000 fps artillery.008.jpg

Charter arms revolvers

Do you mean a plethora of bullets????
    Bahaaaaa
    03 likes this.
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

One of my co-workders about to shoot my CA bulldog.012.jpg
    lowercase and blitzburgh like this.

chepo06, munitions, delivery platforms, warheads...Tahaaaa!

Good to see another 0311!

chepo06,
    I bought a new Charter Arms Undercover, DAO, stainless steel, bout 6 months ago for my daughter to carry in her car; she hopes to get a concealed carry later, as well. We've both been pleased w/ it. She liked it a lot better after I bought and installed some PINK grips on it. Unfortunately, the only place to get the pink grips is from the CA website. None of the usual aftermarket grip makers sell them. My only "minor" disappointment was the DAO trigger/hammer. From looking at the picture, I was expecting a "shrouded" or completely concealed, internal hammer; actually, the hammer is bobbed so that the surface of the hammer on the back end fits flush w/ the back of the frame; when the trigger is pulled, the external hammer moves backwards and away from the frame; the hammer is NOT concealed withinin the frame.

Nevertheless, it's a good gun that's been 100% reliable and is reasonably accurate. I just wish the picture provided a more accurate view of the external hammer.

I owned several back when the company first started; a nickel-plated .38 Undercover, a .22 Pathfinder and one of the first .44 Bulldogs they made.

All were excellent weapons and one thing that characterized all three is that they had very smooth double-action triggers right out of the box. The trigger pull was more reminicient of a Colt Detective Special than a S&W J-Frame.

The best advice I can give with the .44 is to not try to turn it into a .44 magnum. We used to handload 180 and 200 grain semi-wadcutter hollowpoints at pressures that were only a littler hotter than factory loads, pressure-wise. Long, heavy bullets tended to keyhole out of the short barrel when pushed hard.

While they all came with decent grips, I switched the grips to Pachmayrs and Herrett's, both of which improved the hold on the weapon for me.

Charter has passed through a number of hands since then and had quality issues, but people I know who own those made within the last 10 years or so indicate that the quality has returned to its original high level.

Charter arms revolvers

So the .44 special bulldog will shoot .44 mag rounds?
    03 likes this.
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

No. chepo06. The magnum casing is slightly longer so that the cylinder won't operate in a special. DO NOT fire hot loads in a special because it will loosen the gun up and shorten its life. The Grizzly 260 grain is the highest I will go in my bulldog - and that's really pushing it. It is a personal defense round in my case. I have fired two boxes of twenty through it, but this is as high as I dare take it. Like I say, this ammo is top end as far as .44 specials go. If I am attacked by an 800lb wild boar while at my campsite, this round will drop it in its tracks.

Charter arms revolvers

Ohhhh ok. Nah gonna stick to the .357 since I already have some ammo saved up and the .44 special ammo will cost me a nut
    03 likes this.
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links