Charter arms revolvers

Charter arms revolvers

This is a discussion on Charter arms revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use one as their EDC? LGS has a 357 DAO pug for $330...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Charter arms revolvers

Charter arms revolvers

Anyone use one as their EDC? LGS has a 357 DAO pug for $330
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

No experience here and I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am really curious about the Charter Arms 9mm and 40 S&W Pitbull revolvers.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Charter arms revolvers

No biggie brutha ya I've read about those rimless ones also that don't require moon clips. LGS doesn't have one but they do have a 357 and a 44 special.
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

Re: Charter arms revolvers

I know CA had a period where they changed owners and the quality went down the drain. As of lately though, I've heard that they are back to top quality.

For a .357 revolver with a full grip, I'd say go for it. I'd like to get a .38 Undercover in the near future.

NMB
    bought a charter arms undercover .38 a few years back on an impulse. Went bang every time, ended up getting rid of it in a trade.

Not bad if youre on a budget I suppose. Nothing really exceptional about them either though.

For just a little bit more you could have a Ruger or a SW
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Charter arms revolvers

Yeah I had a 2 1/4 sp 101 and I kicked myself in the rear for trading it. Now I have the snubby itch again
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

My wife has a CA Pink Lady .38. I think it's a great revolver! Risking losing my man card here, but, I enjoy carrying at times too. Very light weight, great trigger and as accurate as I am. Plus, the grip fits all three fingers. Crimson Trace even makes a laser for it!
    chepo06 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have a 1980 CA Undercover and it is just as reliable and accurate as my S&W's, but I can't comment on the later/newer production models, don't own one.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Have a 44 bulldog I like it quality good.
    03 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've owned the Undercover .38 and the .44 Bulldog (currently) and even though the Bulldog's action is very slick and light for a Charter.

I'm a confirmed Ruger LCR fan. After owning the charters and 2 J frames, I think that nothing can touch a LCR in the small revolver catagory.

So radical that it needs to be in a class all of it's own.

Light, Compact and unlike the J frames I've had, very Reliable!

What's not to love??

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    I've owned the Undercover .38 and the .44 Bulldog (currently) and even though the Bulldog's action is very slick and light for a Charter.

I'm a confirmed Ruger LCR fan. After owning the charters and 2 J frames, I think that nothing can touch a LCR in the small revolver catagory.

So radical that it needs to be in a class all of it's own.

Light, Compact and unlike the J frames I've had, very Reliable!

What's not to love??
    The two fingered grip.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Ex Member
    I have owned them in the past. They always, like Taurus, Rossi, Colt, and S&W go BANG every time. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to EDC one.
    03 likes this.

I purchased a new stainless Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special this summer in preparation for winter carry. I just ordered some new carry ammo, and plan on carry it now that big winter jackets are being used. So far i love the gun, and is not much larger or heavier than my J frames.
    03 likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    Don't know about the newer ones, but my uncle has a 60's vintage he bought when he owned a pharmacy. Still carries it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have 4 Charter Arms revolvers.

2 vintage Undercover models, a Mag Pug .357, and a Bulldog Pug .44.

I carry the Mag Pug and Bulldog Pug.

My main criticism of the Mag Pug is the ported barrel. When shooting .357s, a lot of burning powder shoots out of the ports, and I've had some powder come back and hit me in the face. Not a big deal with shooting glasses, but I wouldn't want it to happen in a defensive shooting scenario. .38s are fine in the gun, but that defeats the purpose of getting the .357. Also, if you shot from the hip in a defensive scenario, the hot gasses would vent straight up into your face and really put a hurtin' on you. If I had it to do all over, I would have gone for the "Police Undercover" model built on the same frame that holds 6-shots of .38 and isn't ported. Exactly the same size and weight, but a 6-shooter. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE my Mag Pug, I just don't like the ports.

My other suggestion would be to not get one in DAO. Just a personal preference, but it is nice to have the SA option, and the DA trigger pull on these guns ain't exactly the smoothest thing in the world. They aren't horrible, but they aren't K-frame S&W, either.

Here's my Mag Pug. I replaced the rubber grips with some NOS Undercover wood grips to make it easier to carry. It is small and light, and carries like a dream. I carry it in a belt slide holster (Gould & Goodrich) at 4:00 and forget that I'm wearing it.

charterwoodgripz.jpg magpug1.jpg
    03 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links