Helping a friend choose a revolver - Page 2

Helping a friend choose a revolver

This is a discussion on Helping a friend choose a revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like a Smith and Wesson 38 Special (or 357 if the extra recoil is not an issue) to me! Size, barrel length, and such ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Helping a friend choose a revolver

Sounds like a Smith and Wesson 38 Special (or 357 if the extra recoil is not an issue) to me! Size, barrel length, and such of her choice.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I am sorry she didn't take to Trap. I am not an authority on handguns, but I have shot and competed for many years in the shotgun sports. I have observed two things about women and shotguns:(1) most guns do NOT fit women- they need a completely different set-up.(2) an amazing % of ladies are cross-eye dominant. this needs to be checked. i often wonder if a lot of ladies have been turned off the shotgun sports due to poorly fitted guns and the cross dominance problem. A 20 gauge autoloader, such as a beretta or remington, with the right LOP and pitch does wonders for many ladies. it is no fun if it hurts or you cannot hit anything.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I bought a really clean Smith Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece) 4" for $375 a couple years ago. They've gone up since then but still can be found in the $500 range....not a bad choice, though a bit large for CC. A 3" J frame might be just the ticket.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    I am sorry she didn't take to Trap. I am not an authority on handguns, but I have shot and competed for many years in the shotgun sports. I have observed two things about women and shotguns:(1) most guns do NOT fit women- they need a completely different set-up.(2) an amazing % of ladies are cross-eye dominant. this needs to be checked. i often wonder if a lot of ladies have been turned off the shotgun sports due to poorly fitted guns and the cross dominance problem. A 20 gauge autoloader, such as a beretta or remington, with the right LOP and pitch does wonders for many ladies. it is no fun if it hurts or you cannot hit anything.
    I think that fit is the biggest problem. I don't have anything that even remotely fit her. But she was a trooper and gave it a shot. Even our youth guns were set up for thin faced kids. She probably needs some cast off to see where the lead will be. DR

Well Our friend got her HSC [Handgun Safety Card ] today! She very proud! Shes moving right along to get that first gun. I don't think shes going to be able to put it under the tree, Shes running out of time quickly this year. She would have to purchase by Fri the 14th to get it through CAs 10 day waiting period in time. And all the stars would have to be aligned at that. But shes looking at a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. I found one That she could hold to get a feel for it, But I haven't found one on a dealers shelf yet. DR

I wouldn't recommend ANY newly manufactured Smith and Wesson revolvers for one reason.......that infernal, ugly lock on the frame.

They may not be as beautiful as a classic S&W revolver, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Ruger for revolvers.....I do own a few (Vaquero in 45 Colt, LCR in 38spl, SP-101 in 357 mag. and a GP-100 in 357 mag.) Ruger revolvers are ALL overengineered and built like tanks. If the shooter intends to carry the revolver from time to time and wants an all metal handgun I believe the SP-101 is the perfect choice. Mine is the double action only/bobbed hammer version weighing in at around 27 oz. Very easy to carry inside waistband or in a purse. I have several thousand rounds through mine without issue......

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Well Our friend got her HSC [Handgun Safety Card ] today! She very proud! Shes moving right along to get that first gun. I don't think shes going to be able to put it under the tree, Shes running out of time quickly this year. She would have to purchase by Fri the 14th to get it through CAs 10 day waiting period in time. And all the stars would have to be aligned at that. But shes looking at a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. I found one That she could hold to get a feel for it, But I haven't found one on a dealers shelf yet. DR
    Great choice!

Regards,
    Jim

She called today to tell us that Ruger revolvers are hopelessly backed up! and she had bought a Remington 870 20 ga. She can pick it up on the 30th! I know Ill have to do some fitting to make it work for her but shes jazzed! DR

Firearm Fun: REVIEW: Ruger LCR

Just bought my wife a Ruger LCR. She couldn't reliably rack the slide on my semi-automatics, especially in the middle of the night, half asleep.
    I wanted her to have a gun that she could pick up, point and shoot the BG if needed. The above review was helpful for me in my decision process.
    I just got the gun today. The trigger seem very nice and not hard to pull back. I think it will work out fine.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links