Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Ruger LCR? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried an LCR for a couple of years. Fantastic little gun. Lightweight, small, comfortable carry means it's an "always" gun. Very accurate too if ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

I've carried an LCR for a couple of years. Fantastic little gun. Lightweight, small, comfortable carry means it's an "always" gun. Very accurate too if you do your part. Reliablity is 100% with mine and I rarely hear of any problems with them. Great investment.

I've tried small autos and they're not really my thing. If I want small I'll take a snubbie as I can get a better grip on a small revolver and shoot them better than micro-automatics.

I wouldn't let "adding a new caliber" put me off of buying an accurate, reliable, proven firearm that you'll be glad to carry every day.

2. Remove Ads

LCR .38 is primary carry gun. Love it. Light weight, nice curve to it so it conceals nicely under an untucked shirt, smooth trigger. Nothing not to like about an LCR.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Pretty well sums up my reasons for carrying a wheelie every day.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

I have the LCR and like it a lot. Lately, I have become addicted to carrying my LCP. Now with colder weather it is time to go to my LCR more. I am out of habit carrying SR9c. It is hard to go back I have owned the LCR for two years and have tritium sight on front. I would not give my wife 357 if she does not enjoy shooting them and has a lot of practice with it. Practice +P And get good defensive ammo.

My first handgun was a wheelie... a S&W 642. With practice, i can now hit a fly at 20 paces in the hind end if i want ... well, maybe not that good, but at a local IDPA match, i brought out one of my snubs, and as far as accuracy went, i did great. A snub is a tool that must be mastered, just as you would want to master a semi auto. Make sure that your wife helps with the decision making process... it will make it easier down the line to get a copy of what she likes.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I have the 38 special version with Hogue grips. It's my favorite CC gun. Small and light. Easily slips into your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    My LCR is the .357. I practice with 158 grain 38 spls and for defensive carry I use 158 grain 38 spl +Ps.
    interesting, so you don't carry .357mags for defensive. forgive me if my comments are silly, i just don't know much about revolver rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerspyde View Post
    I have the LCR and like it a lot. Lately, I have become addicted to carrying my LCP. Now with colder weather it is time to go to my LCR more. I am out of habit carrying SR9c. It is hard to go back I have owned the LCR for two years and have tritium sight on front. I would not give my wife 357 if she does not enjoy shooting them and has a lot of practice with it. Practice +P And get good defensive ammo.
    i have the SR9 and I like it but certainly not comfortable to carry. the SR9c would certainly be more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    interesting, so you don't carry .357mags for defensive. forgive me if my comments are silly, i just don't know much about revolver rounds.
    Your comments are most certainly not silly.

I carry the 38Spl +P rounds as opposed to the .357s for a more managable recoil. This allows me quicker and more accurate follow up shots. This is just my preference. Plenty of people do well with magnum loads in this little revolver.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Nothing like a LCR.

I've had two and would like to bump up to a .357 Magnum.

There seems to be a few medium velocity loads on the market now.

Crimson Trace grips are nice, but not as hand filling or recoil absorbing as the Hogues.

The Handall Jr. slip on grip sleeve does help with grip and recoil a bit though.

Holsters have been from the good folks at HIGH NOON HOLSTERS.com

Nothing quite like a HN holster as well!

You will be very pleased with the LCR in any caliber you might choose.

KEV

Rugers Photos by czrami | Photobucket

HIGH NOON-RUGER-2011 Photos by czrami | Photobucket

I carry a LCR 357 every Day as back up to my SP101. I like the 357 because if my wife wants to shoot it she can practice with standard 38s. I sometimes practice with 38+P but, most of my shooting and carry is 357. I like the option to switch calibers. This LCR is one of the most accurate Snubs I have shot. Weather it is the Tamer Grip or the very smooth trigger or both, I am more accurate with the LCR357 than my SP101 or my S&W442. It carries great in a pocket and if I have to ware Dress Pants (not very often) I use a Tuck able in the waist holster. I always liked my 442 as a back up but, I like 357 better than 38 and 357 sucks shooting it from a J-Frame sized gun. Shooting 38+P from the LCR357 is very easy on the hand. Much better than the 442.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    What .357 ammo if I might ask?

I really liked the 38+P loads from Remington in the 125 JHP, along with the DT 110 Tac-XP.

They had reasonable recoil...with outstanding accuracy from my LCR with the Barnes bullets.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Double Tap 110 gr. TAC-XP in .357 Mag from
    a J frame or LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Nothing like a LCR.
    ]
    The XS sight on yours is a nice addition to the LCR. I put one on mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The XS sight on yours is a nice addition to the LCR. I put one on mine as well.
    +1 on that. My LGS only charged me about $35 more for the XS model, so it was a great deal. The laser grips are interesting, but not worth $200+.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    I love my LCR, but the trigger guard is bigger than on my J-frames, so the holsters aren't necessarily interchangeable. Both work fine in most hybrids, but in leather molded holsters for J-frames the retention of the LCR is pretty poor. The guard seems to keep it from seating fully.
    That's because it's NOT a jframe it's a LCR, not trying to be smart but a J and LCR aint the same thing, there fore they need different holsters

Been carrying one for awhile now. it's about to be replaced with a bersa thunder 380. I love the LCR except I can't hit squat with it, it's me not the gun. I'd would suggest the nite site cause the black on black is hard to see

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links