Anyone carry a Ruger LCR? - Page 3

Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Ruger LCR? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Ruger LCR .38 +P is one of my favorite carry guns. It is so light I sometimes forget I have it on....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

My Ruger LCR .38 +P is one of my favorite carry guns. It is so light I sometimes forget I have it on.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Of course they're not the same thing, and I pointed out the biggest difference in the shape/profile that prevents the same holster from working in many cases. But in fact most J frame molded hybrids will work fine for an LCR .38. The DeSantis Sof-tuck, for one, will not work well at all, yet DeSantis sells the exact same model for the LCR and the J frame.

So, do you have an actual recommendation? I carry IWB cross at 11:00 by preference.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    That's good to hear. How accurate is it with such a short barrel though? I've never fired a gun with such a short barrel.

One thing keeping me from purchasing it is that I feel like I don't want to add ANOTHER type of ammunition to purchase, you know? I feel like I should just get another, smaller, 9mm so the ammo is interchangable. I'm already getting rifle rounds, shotgun rounds, 9mm rounds---do I really want to add .380 and .357 to the mix? I wish there were 9mm revolvers...
    I love my Ruger LCR in 38+p. One caution though........are you sure you want it in 357mag? You definitely need to go shoot the 357mag version before you buy.... I have several 357mag revolvers including the Ruger SP101 and GP100 and I'm not sure I'd want to shoot full bore mags through the LCR... In any case the Ruger makes a high quality revolver. Not bragging but I've shot mine at 25 yards and put all 5 shots in a 9inch circle. The biggest thing to get over is looking down at that short barrel and overcoming the feeling that there is no way in hell I can hit something that far away. Much of that is just having confidence in the firearm. The LCR is capable of great accuracy....it just takes lots of practice.
    camsdaddy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The XS or Novak tritiums really helped my aging eyes, but so did the CT laser grip.

I only wish they made a larger one that would fit those of us with bigger hands.

Best of luck with landing an LCR. They are worth every penny spent.

It's strapped to my side at this very moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    I love my LCR, but the trigger guard is bigger than on my J-frames, so the holsters aren't necessarily interchangeable. Both work fine in most hybrids, but in leather molded holsters for J-frames the retention of the LCR is pretty poor. The guard seems to keep it from seating fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    That's because it's NOT a jframe it's a LCR, not trying to be smart but a J and LCR aint the same thing, there fore they need different holsters

Been carrying one for awhile now. it's about to be replaced with a bersa thunder 380. I love the LCR except I can't hit squat with it, it's me not the gun. I'd would suggest the nite site cause the black on black is hard to see
    There are more holsters out there for the LCR now than could be previously found. I use an inexpensive slide holster from Gould & Goodrich made for it. Works for me.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I love my LCR .357 mag. Nobody has mentioned the new style cam trigger yet. It makes the LCR the smoothest of any small revolver I've shot, IMHO! That being said, it is a bit heavier than my S&W 342 Titanium .38 +P. I only notice it when I pocket carry though.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I love my LCR .357 mag. Nobody has mentioned the new style cam trigger yet. It makes the LCR the smoothest of any small revolver I've shot, IMHO! That being said, it is a bit heavier than my S&W 342 Titanium .38 +P. I only notice it when I pocket carry though.
    I found myself short stroking the trigger a few times until I got used to it. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

I've had a few SP-101s, a nice Speed Six, and two LCRs.

Never had any trouble with the triggers on any of them, and prefer the LCR with its cam to all of before.
    No probs with short-stroking, as it seems that everything is perfect on the guns.

I'm sure shooting any Magnum load out of one will be a real experience.

Might send me screaming back to a 3 inch SP-101!

I had to reply to this one... I was in same situation as you. Had 45's and 9mm's. Decide to buy an Lcr as my first wheel gun purchase in a long time. I like you, did not want to add another caliber. Then I thought about it a little. The reason I purchase extra ammo is for several reasons but SHTF is a big concern. If that were to happen, I won't be carrying a LCR. But, for everyday carry around my area, the LCR gets the call 75% of the time. I keep enough ammo to fulfill that niche. If I want to go shoot, I buy ammo from Walfarts or Academy. Bottom line,,,, I love my LCR for ccw because of the reasons mentioned and now have bought two more revolvers. A Smith model 36 in great condition and a sp101.

I carry the LCR 357 in a Remora Holster or I use a Clip-Draw, I have had many revolvers and the LCR for carry is one of the best. I prefer AIWB with either mode of carry, my pockets just are not big enough for pocket carry.

Just got back from the range, running my G30 and LCR. The LCR (when using the laser) gave me groups that tore up the target's bullseye at 7 yards. With the iron sights, the groups opened up some (about the size of my hand), but still plenty accurate enough for the intended purpose. No issues of any kind, as you would expect with a revolver. I do need to do some more practicing reloading from both the speed loader, and the speed strip - had a few fumbles.

ETA - My usual carry ammo is .38 Spl 158 gr standard pressure SWCs.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I carry mine in a Desantis Nemisis which draws real nice or a generic leather holster that fits the gun well. It's a good wheel gun

Ruger KLCR .357 Magnum: a bit lighter color on the frame and a heavier trigger pull than on my old 38+Ps.

It doesn't seem to be much heavier in the hand either.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Mine attends church regularly in a Pocket-Roo.
    https://www.tuffproducts.com/product...cat=268&page=1
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links