Defensive Carry banner

Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

19K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  GoBigOrange 
#1 ·
I am looking at the LCR as a carry gun because it would be small and comfortable to carry but still pack a punch with the .357mag rounds. Also, my wife could easily carry and operate it if she ever chose to.

Just looking to see if owners of this firearm seem to like it or dislike it and why.

I like the idea of a revolver because of the low maintenance.

#3 ·
That's good to hear. How accurate is it with such a short barrel though? I've never fired a gun with such a short barrel.

One thing keeping me from purchasing it is that I feel like I don't want to add ANOTHER type of ammunition to purchase, you know? I feel like I should just get another, smaller, 9mm so the ammo is interchangable. I'm already getting rifle rounds, shotgun rounds, 9mm rounds---do I really want to add .380 and .357 to the mix? I wish there were 9mm revolvers...

#6 ·
I like the LCR a lot, but yeah...I'm slightly resistant because I don't want to buy a new caliber of ammo.

I knew 9mm revolvers were available, but I didn't see any at any local stores, I'll look into this more. Thanks.

#7 ·
I love my LCR and pocket carry it daily. Snubbies take some practice to master but my LCR is accurate and though it has stout recoil it is manageable. I have the 38SPCL model because I don't want to deal with the full recoil of a 357 in such a small carry piece. Plus in a such a short barrel the 357 isn't as effective as it should be out of a longer barreled gun.

#9 ·
As for the 9mm revolvers I have two SP101 9mms and love them but they are too heavy for pocket carry which is how I primarily carry. Plus you can expect to pay a premium for them like at least $700-$800 on Gunbroker.

I am interested in the Charter Arms 9mm Pitbull but they are hard to find.

edit: just saw your reply about the Taurus 905 and I'd advise you to stay away from Charter. Their products are real hit and miss and I wouldn't want to take the risk.

#11 ·
My .38 Spl LCR sees my primary carry duty during the work week. While the .357 Mag version does pack more "power" it is also heavier than the .38 version by a few ounces - enough to be noticed if you pocket carry it. If possible, I'd suggest you try them both and see which you (and your wife) like better. My bet would be with the .38 version.

I tried...and tried...and tried to get a reliable 9mm pocket pistol. Forget it. Get a revolver and don't look back. I won't buy another 9mm semi auto pistol smaller than a Glock 26.

#14 ·
I love my LCR, but the trigger guard is bigger than on my J-frames, so the holsters aren't necessarily interchangeable. Both work fine in most hybrids, but in leather molded holsters for J-frames the retention of the LCR is pretty poor. The guard seems to keep it from seating fully.

#30 ·
That's because it's NOT a jframe it's a LCR, not trying to be smart but a J and LCR aint the same thing, there fore they need different holsters

Been carrying one for awhile now. it's about to be replaced with a bersa thunder 380. I love the LCR except I can't hit squat with it, it's me not the gun. I'd would suggest the nite site cause the black on black is hard to see

#16 ·
I've carried an LCR for a couple of years. Fantastic little gun. Lightweight, small, comfortable carry means it's an "always" gun. Very accurate too if you do your part. Reliablity is 100% with mine and I rarely hear of any problems with them. Great investment.

I've tried small autos and they're not really my thing. If I want small I'll take a snubbie as I can get a better grip on a small revolver and shoot them better than micro-automatics.

I wouldn't let "adding a new caliber" put me off of buying an accurate, reliable, proven firearm that you'll be glad to carry every day.

#19 ·
I have the LCR and like it a lot. Lately, I have become addicted to carrying my LCP. Now with colder weather it is time to go to my LCR more. I am out of habit carrying SR9c. It is hard to go back I have owned the LCR for two years and have tritium sight on front. I would not give my wife 357 if she does not enjoy shooting them and has a lot of practice with it. Practice +P And get good defensive ammo.

#23 ·
i have the SR9 and I like it but certainly not comfortable to carry. the SR9c would certainly be more manageable.

#20 ·
My first handgun was a wheelie... a S&W 642. With practice, i can now hit a fly at 20 paces in the hind end if i want :embarassed:... well, maybe not that good, but at a local IDPA match, i brought out one of my snubs, and as far as accuracy went, i did great. A snub is a tool that must be mastered, just as you would want to master a semi auto. Make sure that your wife helps with the decision making process... it will make it easier down the line to get a copy of what she likes.

#25 ·
Nothing like a LCR.

I've had two and would like to bump up to a .357 Magnum.

There seems to be a few medium velocity loads on the market now.

Crimson Trace grips are nice, but not as hand filling or recoil absorbing as the Hogues.

The Handall Jr. slip on grip sleeve does help with grip and recoil a bit though.

Holsters have been from the good folks at HIGH NOON HOLSTERS.com

Nothing quite like a HN holster as well!

You will be very pleased with the LCR in any caliber you might choose.

KEV

Rugers Photos by czrami | Photobucket

HIGH NOON-RUGER-2011 Photos by czrami | Photobucket

Reactions: wmhawth
#26 ·
I carry a LCR 357 every Day as back up to my SP101. I like the 357 because if my wife wants to shoot it she can practice with standard 38s. I sometimes practice with 38+P but, most of my shooting and carry is 357. I like the option to switch calibers. This LCR is one of the most accurate Snubs I have shot. Weather it is the Tamer Grip or the very smooth trigger or both, I am more accurate with the LCR357 than my SP101 or my S&W442. It carries great in a pocket and if I have to ware Dress Pants (not very often) I use a Tuck able in the waist holster. I always liked my 442 as a back up but, I like 357 better than 38 and 357 sucks shooting it from a J-Frame sized gun. Shooting 38+P from the LCR357 is very easy on the hand. Much better than the 442.

#27 ·
What .357 ammo if I might ask?

I really liked the 38+P loads from Remington in the 125 JHP, along with the DT 110 Tac-XP.

They had reasonable recoil...with outstanding accuracy from my LCR with the Barnes bullets.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Double Tap 110 gr. TAC-XP in .357 Mag from
a J frame or LCR?

#32 ·
Of course they're not the same thing, and I pointed out the biggest difference in the shape/profile that prevents the same holster from working in many cases. But in fact most J frame molded hybrids will work fine for an LCR .38. The DeSantis Sof-tuck, for one, will not work well at all, yet DeSantis sells the exact same model for the LCR and the J frame.

So, do you have an actual recommendation? I carry IWB cross at 11:00 by preference.

#34 ·
The XS or Novak tritiums really helped my aging eyes, but so did the CT laser grip.

I only wish they made a larger one that would fit those of us with bigger hands.

Best of luck with landing an LCR. They are worth every penny spent.

#39 ·
I've had a few SP-101s, a nice Speed Six, and two LCRs.

Never had any trouble with the triggers on any of them, and prefer the LCR with its cam to all of before.
No probs with short-stroking, as it seems that everything is perfect on the guns.

I'm sure shooting any Magnum load out of one will be a real experience.

Might send me screaming back to a 3 inch SP-101!

#40 ·
I had to reply to this one... I was in same situation as you. Had 45's and 9mm's. Decide to buy an Lcr as my first wheel gun purchase in a long time. I like you, did not want to add another caliber. Then I thought about it a little. The reason I purchase extra ammo is for several reasons but SHTF is a big concern. If that were to happen, I won't be carrying a LCR. But, for everyday carry around my area, the LCR gets the call 75% of the time. I keep enough ammo to fulfill that niche. If I want to go shoot, I buy ammo from Walfarts or Academy. Bottom line,,,, I love my LCR for ccw because of the reasons mentioned and now have bought two more revolvers. A Smith model 36 in great condition and a sp101.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.